Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
C
kick off
kick off
C
I just moved to SC from Tennessee last January. I can tell you that the rule you quoted is strickly enforced. The beauty of Tennessee is that the Girls High School season is in the fall and the Boys play in the Spring.
This allows clubs to have top age groups in the fall and spring and not have the need to try and pull players from the high school teams.
I wish SC would switch to Girls in the fall and Boys in the Spring!

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Harry, it looks like you are saying it's OK to leave any team at any time to participate in another event. If it's OK to not play in a High School tournament (such as the Viking Cup) and participate in a Club event, then it must be OK to choose not to participate in a Club event. So based on this, it must have been OK for GBDawgs to have chosen not to go to Seattle.

You are talking out of "both sides of your mouth".

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
South Carolina used to have a very similar rule. It was listed in all High School handbooks.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
family first...club second...my fault for not using this rule earlier in regards to club soccer participation.our family got caught up in the club soccer thing without looking at the big "club soccer" picture.probably because she was our only child who participated in soccer at the premier level, and she was our 4th. if she was our first i would of steered the last 3 away from club soccer.i feel any input i can give to parents with young athletes i'm giving a little back to youth sports which all 4 of my children have participated on travel leagues ( baseball (AAU in Ohio), golf(SCJGA), volleyball(Club South). when i'm at a social gathering i tell them about the good, bad, and ugly of club soccer in the upstate. i tell them about the relationships my daughter developed with her teammates(good), the parents and childs relationship with the club, what our child got out of being a member of the club.how much we paid over the years to participate in the club,and the travel & time commitment they can expect.i don't think there's nothing wrong with that do you?

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Tell Jimmy P. I said "hi"!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
A little off topic, but what do you feel about students missing games/practice to participate in other school extracurricular events during the season -- such as conferences, club meetings, SATs, etc.? How do you handle these issues?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Harry, it looks like you are saying it's OK to leave any team at any time to participate in another event. If it's OK to not play in a High School tournament (such as the Viking Cup) and participate in a Club event, then it must be OK to choose not to participate in a Club event. So based on this, it must have been OK for GBDawgs to have chosen not to go to Seattle.

You are talking out of "both sides of your mouth".

I've actually never said that it wasn't OK for anyone to miss anything. I believe that I have only said that it wouldn't be right to punish a player for choosing. Others have brought in the issue of commitment. Others have said how awful it was that these players left their teams to suffer in the preseason tournament without them. What I pointed out was that it was apparently OK to miss a club event to go to the beach, but not OK to miss a preseason hs event to go to a more competitive club event. I thought it was a little hypocritical.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
My oldest hasn't played for Club South for 5+ years now. Jimmy Peden could have Club South filled with a couple hundred people and if you approached him he always made time for you. You could tell he appreciated your business. Also, he runs the biggest volleball club in the state and still works another full time job. Most of his coaching staff is current succesful HS and Local College Coaches. Great club/player/parent relationship.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
So your saying the HS/Club players and parents did the wrong thing in going to San Antonio for ECNL during a HS soccer tournament? You call us out on commitment for not attending a club event, yet you don't think there's commitment when a player signs up for HS soccer and leaves their high school teamates going to a HS tournament without them because of another event somewhere else in the same sport.You're hard to read.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
couldn't agree more...great guy!

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard