Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

Should the SCHSL step in and eliminate participation in other sports venues such as club soccer games while the HS player is participating in their HS sport season. There's rules like this in other states, why not South Carolina? It doesn't seem to be a problem in other High School sports, but is a problem with the sport of soccer.

After careful consideration my answer is a resounding YES!
Clubs would get there top players back full time and it would help to level the playing field of all HS programs in SC. And yes there are some top HS players that chose to skip club ball there last season, but they are the player they are due to club ball. Also the truth of the matter is that the number is closer to $10,000 a year for Academy/ECNL players.

"Duh,WINNING."
I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

My oldest hasn't played for Club South for 5+ years now. Jimmy Peden could have Club South filled with a couple hundred people and if you approached him he always made time for you. You could tell he appreciated your business. Also, he runs the biggest volleball club in the state and still works another full time job. Most of his coaching staff is current succesful HS and Local College Coaches. Great club/player/parent relationship.

Believe me I know nothing about Jimmy P. never even heard of him however I can tell you one thing there is no way he works full time for anybody and runs club south at the same time. He must own his own business which allows him to do whatever he pleases (good for him).

"Duh,WINNING."
G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
you're correct ilove. he owns his own insurance business.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
get your high school soccer schedule, club soccer schedule and shedule other activities around them. SAT's are very important, more important than athletic participation, but there are many opportunities for ACT and SAT testing in your junior and senior year.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
You know, it could work so easily if-

During the High School season (which in SC is essentially Feb.-May) the players playing HS were exclusive to HS during the week and whatever tournaments or games occurred on the few weekends that it happens. They could still train with their Clubs on off HS weekends.

And during the Club season, which can be the rest of the calendar the Club players are exclusive to Club.

But, the Clubs will not accept this. As said before on this board, Club wants all your time and as much of your money as possible.

F
Throw In
Throw In
F
Quote:

So your saying the HS/Club players and parents did the wrong thing in going to San Antonio for ECNL during a HS soccer tournament? You call us out on commitment for not attending a club event, yet you don't think there's commitment when a player signs up for HS soccer and leaves their high school teamates going to a HS tournament without them because of another event somewhere else in the same sport.You're hard to read.

One point I believe folks are missing is...these players and parents made the commitment to the club team to attend ECNL events back in May. These girls did not try out for the HS teams until January. Should they have disregarded their prior club commitment for a preseason HS event?
It was a difficult decision for our family, but as parents we have to make what we believe is the best decision for our children. Isn't that what parents are supposed to do? Honestly it feels like these girls are being punished because they are talented enough to play soccer at a high level. Somehow that just doesn't pass the smell test. Oh yeah, the BBQ we ate in San Antonio and Selma TX was worth the trip

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Well then maybe if the player can't meet the commitments of both soccer programs they should pick one or the other. I personally like Bucky's BBQ. It's about 10 minutes by car from MESA and it's always worth the trip.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
So what if our HS (in South Carolina)season was when our Club season is.

Then the commitment would have been made to HS first and they would be breaking their commitment to HS, so they could not go to an ECNL event???

And based on your thought process if the HS decided to hold a clinic in the summer and it fell on an Club event weekend, then the players would still be committed to HS and could not attend say Regionals?

B
brace
brace
B
It's simple. In our state, from Feb. 1 to the days after state finals, clubs and Academy sides should do their absolute best to minimize conflicts. It's quite do-able, if everyone would just grow up and vaguely cooperate.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

But, the Clubs will not accept this. As said before on this board, Club wants all your time and as much of your money as possible.

I always love it when people use the money issue as a cop-out. It's so uninformed that it makes your arguments look incredibly weak.

In our club, we have not paid the club a nickel to play ECNL. Our club fees were the same as they were before ECNL. In fact, to play on the team, the cost was exactly the same. My travel costs have increased. But every hotel I've stayed in, every gas station I've filled up at, and the airline ticket I purchased this year; none of those bills came from the club. When I booked a flight to San Antonio, I didn't give a penny to the club. We stayed at a Marriott, which I don't believe is owned by an upstate soccer club.

In fact, we've gotten good training (which does not occur at every hs) in Jan., Feb., and now March AT NO COST! Seems like somebody that is 'forcing' these players to play year-round because they want my money is doing a terrible job of charging me for what I'm getting. BP, Marriott and US Air have gotten some of my money; but my club got the same amount as they got before there was ECNL.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard