Next Thread
Print Thread
#14341 02/23/04 09:11 PM
C
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
C
I think that I lot of people have the idea that SCHSL could be changed to help the sport of soccer in the state(just in Boys soccer first), but many people think that it would take to much work to get this past the ADs and SCHSL board. But what about small changes in a few specifc regions?

also I am a proponent of merging SCISA and SCHSL, at least the few and the willing.

The small change that I would propose would be.

Region IV
A. C. Flora
Camden
Chester
*Ben Lippen
*Cardinal Newman
Lugoff-Elgin

Region VIII
Bluffton
Lake Marion- I am not sure if they will have a soccer team
North Charleston
Timberland
Pinewood Prep*
Porter-Gaud*
Bishop England*

* added teams

I think this is improve 3AAA play and give the Lower State a boost. All the regions would have a couple of average/above average team. The only weak region would be Region VI.

The Questions of the hour would be:
Would the SCISA teams leave??
I think the SCISA would charge them a fee for leaving just one sport
Would SCHSL be open for a small "experimental"
change such as this?

#14342 02/23/04 09:30 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
The Questions of the hour would be:

Would the SCISA teams leave?? Probably not

I think the SCISA would charge them a fee for leaving just one sport. Would SCHSL be open for a small "experimental" change such as this? No, if you move for one sport, you have to move for ALL sports.

This has been debated before and while I'd like to see more collaboration between SCISA schools and public schools, the fact of the matter is that unless Ben Lippen is willing to play SCHSL Class AAA football, basketball and every other sport offered against public schools it will not happen. It's a simple fact.

However the possibilities of play are enticing for prep soccer. I think it's good for the game to see the private Porter-Gaud's beating the 4A public powers like Dorman and Wando.

In the same breath, this is still the exception and not the rule. However the Top 5 SCISA teams usually can hold their own against just about anyone and if were allowed to play in SCHSL Class AAA (or AA-A) would do quite well.

#14343 02/26/04 07:00 PM
Z
throw in
throw in
Z
SCISA teams you refered to would probably leave if given the chance. The problem is that these such teams would not be able to compete in other sports. It would be great if this were to happen only for soccer. Could it ever happen?

#14344 02/26/04 08:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why could'nt the SCISA schools all compete in 2A class? They would be relatively competitive in all sports in that category, even in football. Thats the class where Bishop England competes in soccer. I don't think that BE would as successful if they competed in 3A.

#14345 02/27/04 01:59 PM
C
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
C
I played soccer and football at Ben Lippen in the Mid/late-90s in 1A/2A. I think that we were in 1A from 93-98. The school felt that we could not compete in football or men's basketball so the school left for SCISA.
but in soccer we were rank consistantly in the top 5 in 2A/1A.

I would like for BL and the other schools to be able to move just in soccer because it better their soccer programs but would not cause problems with the other one and the people at the schools

I think the Bishop England would compete very well in the new region I previouly mention.
I think that is better than leaving them in 2A without chapin to compete for the championship

#14346 02/27/04 02:32 PM
B
goal
goal
B
I hope this argument becomes a moot point in the not too distant future.Hopefully, there will be more than 4 or 5 SCISA teams capable of playing at a fairly high level. I know Hammond, Heathwood, and Wilson Hall should all have improved teams this year.Not quite at the level of CN or BL, but still better.All three of these teams are young and should have their best days ahead of them.In the south you have PG,PP,Beau,and the Hilton Head schools. You could argue that there are more good teams in SCISA top to bottom than in A or 2A. Yes, BE, Christ Church or Chapin would defeat any SCISA team, but after that I don't know.With the addition of augusta Christian into the mix next season you should have 1 more strong SCISA team.

One thing I do enjoy is competition between SCISA and SCHSL teams.Hopefully, you will see more SCISA teams move to the level that can compete in the top tournaments.This will only help soccer grow in SCISA and in the midlands as a whole.

#14347 02/29/04 04:52 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I would like to see some more inter-league play and maybe put the scisa teams in schsl in soccer some day. But I would like to say that, granted it doesn't happen often, but 2 years ago Ben Lippen beat Chapin who were undefeated and ended with only that loss. Then last year Ben Lippen lost in a close game to Christ Church in over time. So Chapin, Christ Church, and Bishop England won't just beat any Scisa team.

Link Copied to Clipboard