Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#143480 03/09/11 02:25 PM
M
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
M
Just curious to know if anyone else has been awarded a penalty kick or had one called against you for the following infraction:

Ball is played in the penalty area and hits a player (anywhere in the region classified to be a handball) but it is clearly not intentional. The rule clearly states if the ball is handled deliberately (except for the GK) a PK is awarded. There were 2 or 3 PK's given in our match last night that clearly weren't intentional even ones awarded to us I didn't agree with.

Now if your playing in a big match and a call like that is made it could end a season, championship run, etc. The officials rule the field, and it's their decision ultimately, just curious to know if anyone else has seen this going on just causes some concern.

Clark McCarthy
University of South Carolina
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach
C
Coach
Coach
C
I haven't had that happen in high school season (yet), but had a couple during fall club season. One in particular was on a corner kick; my back post defender was shading her eyes from the sun on the kick; the ball ricocheted off the post and hit her hand--which never left contact with her forehead...game-deciding PK.

I've got good news and bad news...
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Not much you can do with the present situation. I have always been a proponent of referees receiving match grades "through the ref association".

In other words the individual ref is assigned a grade and comment so it can be used by the ref association for future training.

There are some very good refs out there as well as some bad ones. To me this would be for the betterment of the game. And truth be known the teams (and clubs in club play) have NO recourse.

The biggest issue with a grading system is that most laws of the game state "in the opinion of the referee". Well in the split decision a call was made the opinion was made so any grading system must be viewed as feedback of overall performance. If the feedback shows a continuous "bad" trend then there is a a potential for training to improve

I don't think I will ever see this

Last night I was at a JV game (2 refs) where one of the refs was clearly over protective (for both ways at least consistent) thankfully he was an AR in the varsity game

bench
bench
I've started officiating recently this year to make some cash while in school and agree there are some bad officials, but some very good ones too - just not that many. I would have no problem having a grading system, but know some of the older officials would scoff at this, but if the high school league allowed this I think it could better the game. I know from a player's point of view (and hearing my coach for 4 years in hs) it would be beneficial to have some say so in evaluating how referees perform. The worst situation is when you get your sheet assignment and find out you're working with a total idiot and know that you'll be viewed in the same aspect as him.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
B
brace
brace
B
The reality is, any official who unconditionally opposes an evaluation system is probably deep into CYA mode.

As to PKs for handball, my sense is that good officials are much more inclined to consider intent, or whether the violation was unavoidable due to limited distance between shooter and defender, and wave off a potentially decisive call.

In my experience, if the call is IN ANY WAY questionable, don't make it.

C
Goal
Goal
C
Two years ago at CASL, a ball is crossed into the box and hits our defender just below the elbow. Her arm was hanging straight down and against her body. The AR waved her flag and called the handball in the box.

As you can see, still have not gotten over that one.

Brace
Brace
I have also heard of an exception to the "non-deliberate" handball rule if the player gains an advantage.

For example, if a driven cross hits a near post runner in his trailing hand while he's trying to head the ball and the ball falls perfectly for the slot player.... Not intentional but called a hand ball due to the advantage gained.

Dr. Jason Hamil
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Academic Magnet High School
B
brace
brace
B
That makes sense to me.

Good luck at the Magnet. You have some large boots to fill.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

That makes sense to me.

Good luck at the Magnet. You have some large boots to fill.

Might make sense, but show me where this "exception" exists in the Laws of the Game.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
GT Offline
bench
bench
G
Excellent article here on handball, which by extension would apply to a situation "in the box."
http://asktheref.com/Soccer/Referee/Articles/7/

Quoting part of it:
"This means that is not, I repeat not, a foul if the ball touches a player's hand. It is only a foul if the player intentionally handles the ball. "
and
"Let me also emphasize that nowhere does the rule book say anything about whether or not the player gains an advantage by the ball hitting his or her hand. In other words, even if the ball were to hit a player's arm and drop right at his feet or even were to go directly into his opponents' goal, these are not fouls if they were unintentional acts. Apparently, I am not the only one whose feathers have been ruffled by years of bad calls by referees and undeserved abuse from fans. As recently as 1996 FIFA specifically changed the laws to make it very clear that it is only a foul if the player handles the ball deliberately. "

Unfortunately I've seen this called just as the original post stated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard