Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Cantona's situation...a defender is moving to block a shot with her arms extended away from her body; judgment is that the player's extended arms are a conscious choice to present a wider profile to block the shot. The player did not intentionally strike the ball with her arm, but she did extend her arms (conceivably) to put more of her in the way of the ball.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
brace
brace
B
Ball-to-hand. Hand-to-ball.

It was ever thus.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Thanks...I put some thought into that one!

world cup
world cup
Colin Cowherd is on ESPN Radio right now, KILLING college basketball refs!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
So if a player takes a shot on goal and I am running to defend and the ball strikes my hand and changes direction..A pk should be awarded? What if the ball was never touched and it went over the goal? A pk is awarded because a goal could of been made? A free shot at goal? I'm kicking the ball into someone's hand..I know it's a tough job and I appreciate all that perform this thankless task.
But I have to disagree..You pretty much tye the defenders hands behind their backs..

C
Goal
Goal
C
I'm almost certain there was no intent, just bad defensive technique inside the 18 to step to a ball with your arms extended.

B
brace
brace
B
And if you saw last night's St. John's-Rutgers debacle, where two EXTREMELY veteran officials -- Jim Burr and Tim Higgins -- swallowed their whistles ...

world cup
world cup
Herd says they are good.....but getting old.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

I'm almost certain there was no intent, just bad defensive technique inside the 18 to step to a ball with your arms extended.

Yep, most likely innocent,thus the "conceivably"...there may have been no intent to play the ball, but the arms were in a wider-than-"natural" position, so the official could interpret that as a choice that led to the ball hitting the hand/arm.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
regardless if you think it's fair or not Coach Chass, that's how it will be called. I was playing for Lander University a few years ago, in the Elite Eight, we're 10 minutes into the game, and a striker shot a rocket from the top of the 18 box. Our CB didn't see the ball coming but his arm was up and the ball smacked into his forearm. The ball bounced straight down. The ref called a PK AND gave our CB a red card. HARSH, yes. But the shot was on goal and it changed the direction of the ball, even though he didn't mean to hand ball.

And basically what we're all arguing is a subjective call. Up to the ref, no matter if we coaches like it or not. That's how it will be.

Chapin High School Boy's Varsity Soccer Assistant Coach South Carolina United FC Staff
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard