Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

I was playing for Lander University a few years ago, in the Elite Eight

Geessshhh! They'll call anything 'elite' any more won't they?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Haha. The d2 elite eight.

Chapin High School Boy's Varsity Soccer Assistant Coach South Carolina United FC Staff
C
Coach
Coach
C
You're right...doesn't really matter what I think is fair, what matters is what's in the rule book and how the folks with the whistles interpret and enforce it. Seems we have a few officials on the board who agree. So even though you might have had an experience with such a call (which, from your elaboration, may have been because it changed the direction of a shot on goal, or it may have been because his arm was up in what the official deemed an "unnatural position"--the latter seems more likely) "that's how it will be called" still seems to be up for debate.

I'd still like to have an official tell me that there is a rule that states that something is not a foul at all unless the ball happens to be traveling on frame, in which case it is a foul.

Last edited by Coach Chass; 03/10/11 07:56 PM.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
From Mark Koski, NFHS staff liaison to the Soccer Rules Committee and editor of the NFHS Soccer Rules Book (on a 2008 "Point of Emphasis" on handling):

"Regarding handling, a player shall be penalized for deliberately playing, carrying, striking or propelling the ball with hand or arm," Koski said. "It is not handling if the ball makes contact with the hand in a natural position."

No mention of whether the ball is traveling toward the goal and changes direction.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I think a PK will always be called if a shot on goal is deflected by an arm or hand. I don't think it should be a PK if a cross or bouncing ball, flick, or something not directly on goal unintentionally hits an arm or hand.

I agree with the rule book's take on it.

All-Time Handball: Maradona. World Cup. Hand of God.

2nd All-Time Handball: Lionel Messi. Hand of God 2.

Chapin High School Boy's Varsity Soccer Assistant Coach South Carolina United FC Staff
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
3 billion people saw the first one.... except 2.
41 million of them agreed with the two.
51 million of them were "bloody" furious.

The rest of us could not believe it.

Goal
Goal
Also, isn't it true that is a player deliberately uses their hand(s) (for instance a player reaches up and swats the ball down if it is going over the player's head), that a card is given...in some instances a red?

Goal
Goal
Clarification of FIFA Law relating to Handball

Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct – Handling the ball deliberately to get advantage for scoring goal.
According to the information under this Law in the FIFA Handbook, the referee’s opinion is the key factor. Is the handball deliberate?
Is the player gaining any advantage?
Is the player gaining a goal scoring opportunity?
Propelling the ball or holding the ball or extending hands/arms to stop the ball would be considered deliberate handball.
If the ball hits a player’s hand accidentally, without any action on his part, it would not be considered deliberate.
Note that the shoulder is considered part of the arm in relation to a definition of handball.
Handball is penalised with a direct free kick, but if the handball occurs inside the box, a penalty kick is awarded.

Y.Toker

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Also, isn't it true that is a player deliberately uses their hand(s) (for instance a player reaches up and swats the ball down if it is going over the player's head), that a card is given...in some instances a red?

Deliberate handling to stop a ball from entering the goal is a red card for the offending player as well as a PK, yes.

world cup
world cup
Deliberately handling a ball to gain an advantage can be interpreted by the referee as Unsporting Behavior, punishable by a yellow card caution.

Deliberately handling a ball as the last defender (not the goalkeeper) can be interpreted by the reeree as DOGSO, punishable by a red card send off (and a possible suspension by the SCHSL).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard