Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
2A Michael Shealy Gilbert
4A Matt Sieverding Irmo
4A Adrian Thompson Spring Valley

Just a few that I have seen that really stand out but have not seen a ton of games this year.

world cup
world cup
3A Kevin Fielden - Fort Mill
3A Reid Grayson - Nation Ford

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
J
bench
bench
J
Matt Sieverding, hands down best defender in the state

bench
bench
3A: Cook, Timothy - AC Flora
4A: Matthew Hilton - West Ashley
4A: Matt Sieverding - Irmo

Other notable defenders but these are 3 that I have seen that would be in my top 5.

bench
bench
Sieverding is the best defender in the state. Irmo has the best defense in the state.

C
bench
bench
C
Hunter Harrison- Southside Christian

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Baylor Clark- SA

D
bench
bench
D
3A: Harrison Moore - York

kick off
kick off
1A Greenville Tech Charter High School

Andres Betancur - GTCHS
Todd Thomas - GTCHS

Hunter Harrison- Southside Christian

Coach Koutsos Greenville Tech Charter High School
B
throw in
throw in
B
Alex Burnikel is back

W
goal
goal
W
Best might be B Troyer at Hammond.

Burnikel can play as can Hilton, Howie,Cook. Sheally is quality and one of the best in AA.

King and Davis at Wando are solid as well.

Another one is Ballentine at Summervile although with his scoring prowess(sp) I dont know if he qualifies

Mike Collins for CN is quaity as well.

Last edited by Will Eudy; 04/05/11 06:11 PM.
B
throw in
throw in
B
Kevin Ray from Northwestern High School

C
bench
bench
C
1A-???
2A Michael Shealy Gilbert
3A Langston Kennedy-South Pointe
4A Matt Sieverding Irmo

B
bench
bench
B
Upstate - Sieverding
Lower state - Ballentine

Brace
Brace
Can someone tell me the strengths of Sieverding? After watching him last night against Nation Ford only saw two (heading and clearing) and was not very good in one-on-one situations.

L
bench
bench
L
2A best defender is definitely Luke Fender for Emerald. He is a solid, smart player and a commanding leader on the field.

B
brace
brace
B
In the end, AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL, the only relevant question is:
Can I win a state championship with him?
The rest is subjective blather.

Brace
Brace
I am more a believer in the them not him theory.

B
brace
brace
B
Get enough "thems" and you can win a lot of games.

J
bench
bench
J
Quote:

Can someone tell me the strengths of Sieverding? After watching him last night against Nation Ford only saw two (heading and clearing) and was not very good in one-on-one situations.

He played a very surprisingly poor game for his standards, the worst I've seen him play. Irmo as a ehole played poorly against nations ford.

L
bench
bench
L
@ Import.

Sieverding has a ridiclously powerful foot/leg for his size. You kinda don't expect it but he can hit the ball but especially on corners, Its surprising if he doesn't touch/head the ball on corners.

H
goal
goal
H
His nickname is Howie - short for howitzer. He has the most powerful strike I have ever seen in person. His vertical leap (especially with a step or two) is also incredible. I have a photo from R3PL Regionals a couple of years ago that shows him at full leap on a corner - his head is two feet above everyone else. His natural ability is very, very special. I understand that he doesn't want to play beyond HS. If true, that's really a shame. He could be great in college, and beyond.

B
throw in
throw in
B
Great Player but and beyond... Doubt it

bench
bench
Import - I heard the Nation Ford game was a poor showing for Irmo in general. As for Sieverding - I'd like to see someone out jump him (off/def) for a header, excellent speed/size, touch/control, cannon on his foot. Again though, Irmo's defense as a whole works extremely well together, everyone is solid. I'd say more than half of the goals which have been scored on Irmo this season occurred when none of the starting D was in the game.

H
goal
goal
H
Barca - If Howie had the burning passion for the game that some (certainly not most) have, there's not much limit to how far he could go. Whatever deficiencies he has are from a lack of "want to," not because he can't. While that may sound like a criticism, it isn't. Only a small minority of athletes in any sport have that extra internal drive to be truly great. Howie's a super young man and a very good soccer player. I think we should just enjoy watching him do his thing, as long as he feels like doing it!

bench
bench
4A: Matt Sieverding - Irmo
4A: Up and coming freshman Jacob Kirtley- Stratford

There's certainly other defenders that could be noted but these are onces I've looked at through reference of others and have been impressed.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
kevin ray of northwestern

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
TJ Grimsley of Dillon

Coach Chickering
Camden High Soccer
kick off
kick off
Quote:

no way, too much baggage with that clown

@chicagoredstars
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
CJ King and Zach Griffin from Ridge View

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Quote:

no way, too much baggage with that clown

Maybe at defending a flask.

Puttin A's on B's
W
bench
bench
W
2a is carlos hernandez when he is back there
2a is logan grime when he is back there
3a is robbie cook
3a is garrett sims
4a howie
and guy from wando

J
Brace
Brace
J
Import, I beleive the game against Nations Ford and Lexington had numerous Irmo players either suffering through the flu, or were recovering from the flu. That is probably why it seemed like Irmo looked flat. They were not feeling well at all, in fact they had a player pass out after coming off of the field.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
Bench
Bench
Quote:

Import, I beleive the game against Nations Ford and Lexington had numerous Irmo players either suffering through the flu, or were recovering from the flu. That is probably why it seemed like Irmo looked flat. They were not feeling well at all, in fact they had a player pass out after coming off of the field.

Boo-hoo! Such the Yellow Jackets apologist. Irmo is good, but not invincible. They've been played tough by some teams, but it's unfortunate that they won't have to go on the road in the playoffs. You know the hometown refs will protect them at all costs!

Dude ... that means you, whether male or female, short boarder or long boarder, grommet or old fart.
L
kick off
kick off
L
Quote:

Quote:

Boo-hoo! Such the Yellow Jackets apologist. Irmo is good, but not invincible. They've been played tough by some teams, but it's unfortunate that they won't have to go on the road in the playoffs. You know the hometown refs will protect them at all costs!

Playing for home field is something every team strives for as for the Ref's that can be said for any team that plays at home, the home team has been seen more than once do to the travel that Referees log. Just like the foul you think you saw really was not if looked at on a video replay. Airport had a young lady for a few years that could laydown a perfect slide tackle from behind and would be clean 99.9% of the time, the Ref's knew it was coming and would keep an eye, but she was good to go. I drove the other teams and players crazy. some Ref's are better than others, but protection is not something they do!

ALWAYS REMEMBER ITS 4 THE KIDS!
B
brace
brace
B
Evidence and research from American football, soccer, basketball and baseball pretty conclusively demonstrates that officials favor home teams ... and especially home-team (presumed) favorites. Research suggests that, in most instances, this is not a conscious decision by referees, although some of that almost certainly exists.
Most experts on the subject believe this (in part) explains the "home field advantage" phenomenon. And it's one reason why I attach much greater significance to "road" wins ... especially against teams with winning records.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Evidence and research from American football, soccer, basketball and baseball pretty conclusively demonstrates that officials favor home teams ... and especially home-team (presumed) favorites. Research suggests that, in most instances, this is not a conscious decision by referees, although some of that almost certainly exists.
Most experts on the subject believe this (in part) explains the "home field advantage" phenomenon. And it's one reason why I attach much greater significance to "road" wins ... especially against teams with winning records.

I'd have to discount this and say there is very little home field advantage when the referee is supposedly being influenced by a crowd of less than 200 spectators.

Friday night football or high school basketball, when the crowd is on top of you.....yes!

High school soccer in front of family and BFF's......no.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
M
brace
brace
M
Matt Sieverding of IRMO has committed to play for South Carolina. Happy to have Howie aboard as a Gamecock this Fall!!

B
brace
brace
B
Hurst,
High School League officials (in many sports) clearly are influenced by coaches, fans, expectations, etc. My point was, if you read the post, a certain amount of this happens at all levels, and is generally not a conscious deecision.
Read the research.

world cup
world cup
If Phil Savitz is the AWAY coach and he's in my ear giving me the business in front of 50 fans representing the home team, coached by Joe Schmoe, is your research going to hold up?

Am I going to be more influenced by the guy going into the state HOF, or by the HOME "crowd"?

Goal
Goal
Quite frankly, the fact that adults are intimidated or influenced into decisions by any other single adult who really have no weight on their job or lifestyle is disturbing to me but whatever. Hall of Fame or not, it's still childhood athletics.

I get the big home crowd argument but officials are a part of the game. As my coach once told me "Without the officials, there can be no game."

Now, if Ed Hochuli whistles you for a foul...I dare some mouthy 12 yr old to respond.

world cup
world cup
Jake looks scared!

B
brace
brace
B
Clearly, you may be correct IN THAT UNIQUE INSTANCE. The fact that (as you surmise) an official can be influenced by a coach should tell you that ANY official can be influenced by any number of factors.
The point is, the research covers the widest possible range of circumstances. This includes the circumstance you mentioned.
Again, take a moment or two to read the research. You might learn something.

T
bench
bench
T
Matt Sieverding is the Best Defender in the State when he wasnts to be. He has amazing technique, jumping ability, and a sense of the game, but his only drawback is the mindset he walks on the field with. If he feels like playing he is a force, if not, then he is average.

B
brace
brace
B
Agreed. Matt is very good in most areas.

Brace
Brace
Guess I saw him on a day he didn't want to be. Only strengths I saw where clear and air.

B
brace
brace
B
Import: I would agree those are his greatest strengths. But your initial point probably explains why he didn't really decide to play college soccer until recently.

C
bench
bench
C
3A - Denis Nunez from Bluffton High is a shut down defender that can play any position on the field and consistently displays great technical skill

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Guess I saw him on a day he didn't want to be. Only strengths I saw where clear and air.

Did that info come from your reporter at the field, or is that 1st Hand Misinformation

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard