Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Coach
Coach
C
Eh, comparing pro and high school soccer is a bit apples and oranges, don't you think? Rules of eligibility and participation are far, far different. My point is, one or two lopsided matches due to circumstances that may be temporary shouldn't be a major deciding factor. Not to mention, it would probably lead to a rash of "bunkering down" rather than actually playing the full scope of the game.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
kick off
kick off
C
I will chime in on this as being a coach that moved recently to South Carolina from a State in which there are no regular season OT's or PK's.
Problems:
1) You get a lot of teams that simply sit back and play 8-10 in the box the whole game and never come out. I know that you have some that do that here, but it is a lot more common with out the threat of OT or PK's.
2) And most importantly, You go the whole season without ever being able to practice the "TRUE PRESSURE" of a shoot out enviroment. I know that you can do you best to put stipulations on it in training, but you can never simulate what its like with the game on the line and fans in the stands. If SC changes to the no OT or PK's you will have teams season hanging on the balance of PK's that they never get to practice.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I say do the OT but not the PK's. Also, get rid of offsides and you will have true American sport.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I say do the OT but not the PK's. Also, get rid of offsides and you will have true American sport.

Have you struggled all these years, trying to appreciate what appears to be an "anti-American" sport? Try embracing the notion of offsides, and what it BRINGS to the game.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I like offsides to a point. Some teams do a great job of pushing up and frustrating teams. I personally would like to do away with offsides once you reach a certain point on the field; maybe around 20 yard line or direct and indirect kicks.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

A lot of Americans want to Americanize everything. Why can't we admit that, every once in a while, someone else can come up with something good. I personally don't like the way "American" sports have been modified to quench the American thirst for higher scoring. Baseball, American football, and basketball have all been changed for the worse, in my opinion, by rules modifications designed to increase scoring. Whatever happened to the knockdown, dragout, 7-6 football games? The 1-0 pitchers' duals? The good basketball defenses when there was no shot clock? So, we also want to take away the offside rule so the average soccer game would be 7-4? You think more Americans would like it then?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
They would come in masses to watch 6-5 or 8-6 games. A sport where pros can play for 90 min with no score is not watchable. What other sport can you go to the store, come back, and not miss anything. A 1-0 baseball or 7-6 football game is good once and a while but we love our offense. Shot clock in basketball you can blame on Dean Smith's four corners.I guess thats why they invented Lacrosse. Now; I'm not speaking for myself . I like the game as is but with only 50-100 people at the stadium during games speaks volumes. Lacrosse has much better attendance. Maybe because the scores are higher. Having girls home and guys away and vice versa doesn't help either.
I guess I could always watch Pinewood games if i need a scoring fix

Last edited by patriot; 04/20/11 07:14 PM.
brace
brace
There could be a few changes to offsides that might work to "improve the game".

How about loosening the distance a few feet (or meters if you want to keep it Europeanized) say more the 6' or about 2 meters, yea I know more room for ref judgement.

How about a rule that says a player can be "offsides" but must play the ball back and may not advance it toward the goal while offside

How about allowing 1 player to be offsides as long as they are outside the box (above the line not on the sides.)

C
bench
bench
C
If you want to increase scoring, just make the goal bigger. Make it 30' x 10' and goals galore.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
The higher level of play you watch, the more beautiful the game is. There's no need to change it in my opinion. The game is near perfect. I'm watching Arsenal and Tottenham right now and it's a great game. I think it would still be an amazing game if the score was 0-0. Did you see Argentina vs. U.S. recently? There were times of the game when Argentina was incredibly entertaining to watch. If you like to watch soccer, you wouldn't care that the score was 1-1, it was still a joy to watch.

I do find it very boring to watch low level soccer and see a 0-0 or 1-0 game. Whether it's a club game, high school, middle school or college; bad soccer is bad soccer and won't be anymore attractive just because there were more goals.

I guess my point is, a game that is 8-7 is still awful to watch if the goals aren't good goals and the play is low level. It will still be boring if it's just a bunch of players kicking a ball all over the place. Conversely, two teams playing an attractive style, high level match will still be exciting and fun to watch even if it's 1-0 or 0-0.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard