Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
brace
OP Offline
brace
It's like Noel and Liam said "Don't look back in anger, I heard ya say!" Well there is certainly no looking back now as we are broadcasting live from the 2011 Palmetto Cup in sunny, famously hot, Cayce, SC!

Each day will feature one match by yours truly with imitators periodically filling in for me while I am out and about in the Capital City seeing the best South Carolina has to offer. After spending many hours here in the stands at the Cup I am happy to be where I am needed most, the comfy confines of a laptop and a WiFi hotspot. Tonight we have a tasty matchup. Nationally ranked Norman North from the great state of Oklahoma (formerly Indian Territory) vs Cardinal Newman (from the reputable organization formerly known as the Catholic Church). Norman North brings in a long standing history of power and class to the Cup. A perennial power they're best player, Jack Coleman, declined to play for his HS this year to train with FC Dallas of the MLS. Why anyone would want to forego a schoolboy session to play for the MLS is mind-boggling, FC Dallas isn't exactly Man United. Cardinal Newman has some star power of their own. With two of your nation's best on one team from SC. The question has to be asked: How do they ever lose? We're about to see as the action starts in 5 minutes!

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
brace
OP Offline
brace
Captains are about to be called and the teams are in what has been called the Night Cap at the Palmetto Cup. I don't know about that term. It's more accurately doomed afternoon delight if you ask me. Perhaps more appropriately, late afternoon delight.

As we near the start of the match I must say that Norman North has brought in a huge squad this year. CN's Goalkeeper is definitely the biggest guy on the pitch. What a big lad!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Early action sees Norman North putting pressure on CN's backs. They have a scuff at the ball but it trickles to CN's Cunningham. Going to have to do better to beat him hopefully.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN under tremendous pressure and they've forced Cunningham into a good save early. We are only 3 minutes in to this match. Hopefully it'll get more competitive than this....

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN on the break here and they've forced a corner. The ball in was good and the NN keeper had trouble adjusting to it. Fortunate to not spill it and NN are away but then caught offside.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN break for a long throw in to the 18 area. NN clears well and is on the break. Great pace to the start of this match. The real key will be to see if CN can jump on NN early who will be coming off a long travel distance and hotel slumber. CN will be in school all week but sleeping in their own beds at night.

The field at the cage looks cut but that's about it. There are many dirt holes that would make even the groundskeeper at the JJB blush.

NN forces a long throw in the CN half but CN clears well. 56 1/2 yards wide is not much space for a sporting match. The ball is constantly out of bounds and Rory Delap would salivate at how easy he could rifle the ball in the net.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Cunningham for CN has touched the ball the most today. That would be good for him and his team, considering he's one of their key players, if only he weren't the Goalkeeper...CN is in constant clear mode as NN seems happy to keep the ball out of the hands of the CN play makers. A high boot as one of the NN players attempts a high kick lands CN a free kick deep in their half.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN finally shows some moments of going forward in this match. Nestor Jaramillo cuts in and fancies a go with his left foot. Straight at the keeper, but that is what it will take if they are to get anything from this match. CN puts pressure on. They are stacked up top with speed, skill, and work-rate. Koty Millard has worked his socks off as a box to box midfielder. A capped USA National Team player, I can see why coaches like him. CN seems to be having the better of the last couple chances as we enter the 14th minute.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
This keeper for CN might be the difference maker! Outstanding saves.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Shot-save Timmy Cunningham as NN breaks through the CN back line and rifles a shot but straight at the GK who does well but can't collect. CN helps their keeper and clears. A foul in the area sees CN with a freekick from their 18.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard