Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
brace
OP Offline
brace
It's like Noel and Liam said "Don't look back in anger, I heard ya say!" Well there is certainly no looking back now as we are broadcasting live from the 2011 Palmetto Cup in sunny, famously hot, Cayce, SC!

Each day will feature one match by yours truly with imitators periodically filling in for me while I am out and about in the Capital City seeing the best South Carolina has to offer. After spending many hours here in the stands at the Cup I am happy to be where I am needed most, the comfy confines of a laptop and a WiFi hotspot. Tonight we have a tasty matchup. Nationally ranked Norman North from the great state of Oklahoma (formerly Indian Territory) vs Cardinal Newman (from the reputable organization formerly known as the Catholic Church). Norman North brings in a long standing history of power and class to the Cup. A perennial power they're best player, Jack Coleman, declined to play for his HS this year to train with FC Dallas of the MLS. Why anyone would want to forego a schoolboy session to play for the MLS is mind-boggling, FC Dallas isn't exactly Man United. Cardinal Newman has some star power of their own. With two of your nation's best on one team from SC. The question has to be asked: How do they ever lose? We're about to see as the action starts in 5 minutes!

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
brace
OP Offline
brace
Captains are about to be called and the teams are in what has been called the Night Cap at the Palmetto Cup. I don't know about that term. It's more accurately doomed afternoon delight if you ask me. Perhaps more appropriately, late afternoon delight.

As we near the start of the match I must say that Norman North has brought in a huge squad this year. CN's Goalkeeper is definitely the biggest guy on the pitch. What a big lad!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Early action sees Norman North putting pressure on CN's backs. They have a scuff at the ball but it trickles to CN's Cunningham. Going to have to do better to beat him hopefully.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN under tremendous pressure and they've forced Cunningham into a good save early. We are only 3 minutes in to this match. Hopefully it'll get more competitive than this....

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN on the break here and they've forced a corner. The ball in was good and the NN keeper had trouble adjusting to it. Fortunate to not spill it and NN are away but then caught offside.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN break for a long throw in to the 18 area. NN clears well and is on the break. Great pace to the start of this match. The real key will be to see if CN can jump on NN early who will be coming off a long travel distance and hotel slumber. CN will be in school all week but sleeping in their own beds at night.

The field at the cage looks cut but that's about it. There are many dirt holes that would make even the groundskeeper at the JJB blush.

NN forces a long throw in the CN half but CN clears well. 56 1/2 yards wide is not much space for a sporting match. The ball is constantly out of bounds and Rory Delap would salivate at how easy he could rifle the ball in the net.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Cunningham for CN has touched the ball the most today. That would be good for him and his team, considering he's one of their key players, if only he weren't the Goalkeeper...CN is in constant clear mode as NN seems happy to keep the ball out of the hands of the CN play makers. A high boot as one of the NN players attempts a high kick lands CN a free kick deep in their half.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN finally shows some moments of going forward in this match. Nestor Jaramillo cuts in and fancies a go with his left foot. Straight at the keeper, but that is what it will take if they are to get anything from this match. CN puts pressure on. They are stacked up top with speed, skill, and work-rate. Koty Millard has worked his socks off as a box to box midfielder. A capped USA National Team player, I can see why coaches like him. CN seems to be having the better of the last couple chances as we enter the 14th minute.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
This keeper for CN might be the difference maker! Outstanding saves.

brace
OP Offline
brace
Shot-save Timmy Cunningham as NN breaks through the CN back line and rifles a shot but straight at the GK who does well but can't collect. CN helps their keeper and clears. A foul in the area sees CN with a freekick from their 18.

brace
OP Offline
brace
The first crunch of the night as Koty Millard strips the ball and is hammered by a NN defender. Foul and should have been a caution. Center official deemed it just a talking to. We approach the 20 minute mark and the score is still 0 - 0

brace
OP Offline
brace
A high boot from NN and CN might capitalize here on the indirect kick deep in the final 1/3

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Finally, Cardinal Newman back on the offensive end trying to make something happen..

brace
OP Offline
brace
Wasted opportunity as CN was called for an infraction on the keeper. The referee has had a tight whistle this even. This has certainly not been a Lee Mason affair.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Some great action there in the CN box....defense is gonna be key for these guys

brace
OP Offline
brace
Almost a goal as a CN clearance ended up right to a NN foot who had an empty net to shoot on! The CN defenders recovers well though to get his foot out just as the ball is struck! What a chance.

corner kick
corner kick
what is Eudy like... more calm or super pumped up standing around walking back and forth screaming!

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Joey, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?......

brace
OP Offline
brace
As we enter the 27th minute the score is still tied. Shot count is 5-4 in favor of CN. It's been a game of final thirds with both teams opting to keep it out of the sandbox in midfield. NN has another pointblank gifted chance that goes awry! I haven't seen this many blunders at the back since...well Saturday at the FA CUP Semi's!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Eudy's pacing and hand gesturing like a puppet master!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
wow, that was nasty!

brace
OP Offline
brace
To answer some questions from peons on the Message Board...the CN coach is up and cheering. He's a lively chap! Action resumes on the pitch. CN's frontrunners have been working hard to keep their backs out of the thick. NN is penalized for a HARD challenge on a CN centerback who is still down. Caution was issued and the NN forward accepted his fate. He seemed to rather enjoy tossing the CN player around like a ragdoll. We are stopped for an injury here at The Cage. NN seems a bit frustrated that they haven't scored and are going to stamp their physical authority on this match.

brace
OP Offline
brace
With 10 minutes left to go play will resume with a CN free kick. The center official is discussing something with the NN bench. That last challenge was really violent, perhaps a red card lookout tonight? CN's restart wasn't the best as Cunningham plays the ball out of bounds.

corner kick
corner kick
know the name of player injured?

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Ribs. I had ribs for lunch, that's why I'm doing this.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Mike Collins, the injured one.

brace
OP Offline
brace
With 5 minutes left to play it's riveting nil/nil soccer here at the Cage. We've had some strong challenges, some ranting and raving on the sidelines...and absolutely no fan atmosphere. Where's the support? I've seen more fans at a Charlie Sheen live concert!

brace
OP Offline
brace
NN on the break and they force a good save out of Cunningham who dives to his near post to save well. Not the most graceful but he sure is big!!!

NN lines up their first corner that goes high over the bar off a head.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Doesnt seem Norman North brought the normal crowd....

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Is it just me or does Mexico have an unusually small flag? Are they not proud people?!

brace
OP Offline
brace
NN is piling on the pressure now as they look to score going into the break. I feel something coming for them but can CN clear the chances in these last couple minutes? They clear one corner and look to break but NN clears the danger themselves and is back on the attack. NN has looked more dangerous overall but their final ball is lacking the quality of a killer pass to score.

brace
OP Offline
brace
NN keeper handles a well thrown in ball and punches clear. He's not Dominik Cervi but he'll do here tonight perhaps. NN pressures in the last seconds and earns a corner

brace
OP Offline
brace
Nothing comes of it and the half ends. Scoreless. Fancy that...no game has gone scoreless yet at the half. I feel cheated out of goals tonight...

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Great defensive first half for CN as they were able to hold off the net thirsty attack of NN!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
If you see an opossum, kill it. It's not a pet

brace
OP Offline
brace
There are some things I will just never understand...

For one, why did you people ever think you could run your own country? Whiners and complainers the lot of you. You didn't want to pay taxes before, you complain about paying them now. Your debt is 16 Trillion and rising by the second. Well played. Two, are there no barbershops in the South? I have read many books in my life. One was on the history of the South. I realize that electricity has only been here the last half century or so but things we have enjoyed for 400 years like a shower every month and a haircut have gone by the wayside it seems for some of you. Three, why is there country music playing at halftime of a sporting event? Who gets pumped up to David Allen Coe except the Ku Klux Klan? Let's not attract them to our sport. England just got over a Just Say No To Racism campaign. Finally, why is there so much interest in your country in our Royal Wedding? If we cared about what you thought that much, you'd be invited. End of story. We have however, put an app out on Itunes for those of you who can't to be without something regal in your life.

Ah my half time musings. We are back to the action in a few seconds!!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Thanks for posting for those of us having to work.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Cardinal Newman hits one, to take a 1-0 lead! Huge for the Cardinals who are fresh off a tournament championship just a week earlier!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Early action sees more whistle blowing but it resorts to a GOAL!

CN scores the first goal of the match as Nestor Jaramillo breaks loose in the box and slots it home cool as you like!

CN 1 NN 0 42nd minute

brace
OP Offline
brace
NN looking to control the match at this point. That 9-0 undefeated record is really in jeopardy now!

corner kick
corner kick
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS GOALLLASSSSSOOOOOO for NESTOR! Cardinal Newman can now relax but NOT TOO MUCH and play their game and beat this NN team.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
brace
OP Offline
brace
CN is extremely dangerous on the break and FAST! NN will look to press but when CN get going they are very proficient and look to score at each counter.

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN sizing up a potentially dangerous long throw here...

brace
OP Offline
brace
Almost as Jaramillo hits an overhead kick that skims just over the bar. He and Millard have taken over the midfield this early 2nd half!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Entering the 50th minute and it may get a bit chippy here. The official has done an ok job and been consistent. There have been consistently many whistles this match. This has probably been a good idea as NN looks downright mean and brutish at times. They look angry to be down to a team from SC...

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

brace
OP Offline
brace
NN ears a corner and attempts an overhead kick of their own that sails wide! That guy really got off the reservation for that one...

53rd minute - 1-0

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Seems CN has gone back on the defensive as NN is really controlling the ball! They want the equalizer!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Again this keeper for CN comes up big!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Corner for NN and the take it quick. NN looks a bit desperate here even with 25 minutes left. Have they never been down this year? They come to SC and play a private school to lose their first game? What does that say about the state of the game in OK?

Back to the game NN has really dominated the last couple of minutes a free header at the back post and Cunningham collects well. Could have been better for NN and should have been a goal. Cunningham has been on fire. I can hear him from the other side of the stadium. Partially because it is nervously quiet but partially because he is so loud and commanding this evening!

brace
OP Offline
brace
If the T-wolves lose tonight they will surely bemoan their missed opportunities. Another missed header goes out but NN are back on it with a 5th corner (to CN's 0)

brace
OP Offline
brace
Great ups from the big man in the net for CN as he collects but then wasteful in possession. If his distribution were better, he'd be in extremely elite company judging by this game. CN FINALLY gets some possession and hits a high shot. Millard slashes at it and it goes high. The screws will be turning on NN as we enter 20 minutes left on the clock!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Just as I post, NN equalizes! It's 1-1. A trickler that beats the keeper

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
well, you knew this was coming, after tremendous pressure and total ball control, NN finally nets 1.

brace
OP Offline
brace
He makes the initial save but it wasn't clean and the rebound literally trickled into the night. I've seen balls roll faster at a 4 yr olds bowling alley birthday party

brace
OP Offline
brace
Shot - Save Cunningham who now has 6 total on the night. NN could have scored there were it not for the big man. They look like they've awaken a sleeping giant this CN side...NN looks to be too much for them at this point. Seconds from an equalizer.

brace
OP Offline
brace
I must say, CN's skipper looks like a Sunday league player in my over 30 league. I've seen some big guys in my life but this guy will take your cake. CN has half a chance but is flagged for offsides. They earn a free kick deep in their defensive third however.

brace
OP Offline
brace
4v2 for NN and they should have scored there! The ball sails over from 8 yds away. If CN escape with a point or more from this game they will be lucky. NN on the other hand will curse themselves. We are in the 68th minute with the score still

1-1

brace
OP Offline
brace
Koty Millard's work rate is absolutely tremendous. He could play for me any day. He has been really impressive. Nestor has been in spurts but no one has gone box to box like Millard tonight! There are 10 minutes left in the match!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Seems we may have to order up some of that "special" chili for tomorrows hot dogs, we need this crowd to liven up! There is a heck of a match going on but it sounds like sunday prayer!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
And we have another GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL for the Cardinals!!

brace
OP Offline
brace
CN BREAKS AND WE HAVE ANOTHER GOAL!!!! KYLE MAITLAND!!!!

brace
OP Offline
brace
With 6 minutes left it's CN 2 NN 1

NN will really be scrapping now if they want to keep their undefeated season alive.

CN have been defending in spirit tonight as their starter, Collins, was apparently seriously injured in the first half. He's on the bench but will not be coming in. Their keeper has been excellent tonight!

corner kick
corner kick
YYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
With less than 10 to play, these boys from CN have really shown a great work ethic, they are relentless!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Millard almost adds a third but slashes over the bar! Truly impressive from CN as they have been able to sustain the pressure. There are even 3 8th graders on the CN roster. One I know for sure has had an impact tonight on the field! Unbelievable.

corner kick
corner kick
what 8th grader?!

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
brace
OP Offline
brace
4 Minutes left and CN will have to defend for their lives! They counter well but NN has the muscle and most of the possession tonight. Great HS match!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
wow!!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Controversy as Nestor nets a brace but is called for offsides...No one can believe it. How can a man running in behind the play be offsides? The official on the sidelines flag was up! Thrilling stuff!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Looks like the young wonders from Cardinal Newman are going to hold out for a huge win on opening day!!!!!

brace
OP Offline
brace
Game-set-match

CARDINAL NEWMAN!!! Great HS match! I surely picked a good one to see tonight! Tomorrow I'll be broadcasting the early game between Norman North and Wando!

B
brace
brace
B
A GREAT win for Cardinal Newman, which played with tremendous heart and determination against a veteran,physical Norman North side. All credit to the Cardinals!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard