Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
brace
brace
Quote:

When would have been an appropriate time to do it?

In a competitive game where you are not saying to the other team look how cool I am, and we can beat you even if I miss this. It is simple, it was a no class move, especially given the fact that it was planned ahead of time.

There is no technical reason to do this move, it screams nothing my than look at me. You can defend it if you wish but if you think this is how we should teach kids how to play and how young men(or women) learn to become adults then perhaps this is why we are in such bad shape in this country.

This is about the same as a kid hitting a hoe run and walking the bases so everyone can admire him and his skill! In baseball they solve this at your next at bat, your next pitch will be high, hard, and inside and you had better hit the dirt early.

brace
brace
Quote:

Classless? D-bag? Punk? All false. Burkholder is class and quality, on and off the field.

While it may be a little extreme to call him a D-bag or Punk, I will defend the classless title based on the move performed. He may be a nice kid who loves his dog and helps little old ladies cross the street but in this instance he as shown a trait on the field of play that I would only call classless.

This is a case where he clearly shows a lack of Humility (Humility (adjectival form: humble) is the quality of being modest, reverential, even politely submissive, and never being arrogant, contemptuous, rude...). You are winning 4-1 and you do this to embarrass the keeper and his team? That to me shows a lack of class. Perhaps this kids could learn a little from Bear Bryant who said “When you get in the endzone act like you've been there before.”

Defend him if you like, but show most people the fact: lost two games in a row, winning the game 4-1 (not even close) and the fact that he planned this... Classless move is the least comment I think you will get from most sports fans.

B
bench
bench
B
I wish to defend. Thank you for your permission. I wasn’t sure.

Also, congratulations on your 630th post. Impressive.

Let’s start here. I’m a fan of Wando. You (I’m speculating by your call sign) are a fan of Fort Mill. While I have no formal training in anthropology, psychology nor, if you must know, garden gnomes – I agree with your previous post that “Human nature is a funny thing, many people seem to be stop being objective because they are a fan. When you are a "fan" of the game I think you see the game better than when you are the fan of the team.” So that said, perhaps we can agree that there is bias on both of our parts.

Hmmm….premeditated classlessness…Pret-ty serious allegations. Let me think about…nope…I have a decision. By the powers not vested in me by Wakaflockamyers, Larry’s Liar Hot Dogs, nor the movie Tangled, I find the action not guilty of 1) classlessness, 2) d-baggery, 3) punkish behavior, 4) begging for attention, and the most egregious charge of all found in your baseball analogy comments, which will not be repeated and shall be stricken from the record.

Yes, baseball is a better sport….zzzzzzzzzzzz. Huh? What? Was I sleeping? Did I say that? We elected WHO as Governor? Well, I didn’t mean the baseball thing. On your baseball comment, the baseball community seems to have found a very workable solution to someone walking around the bases after a home run (which I’ll admit, I’ve never even heard of anyone walking around the bases after a home run – but I’m sure you’ve researched this thoroughly). Hurling a baseball at 80 miles an hour at someone’s head certainly sounds like a completely rational response – a real character builder, fan favorite, and a great example of the punishment fitting the crime. Maybe that’s why baseball is just so darned entertaining.

There are all kinds of things these young adults do around the state and country, coloring their hair, shaving their heads, mo-hawks, dreads, goal celebrations (my personal favorite is linked below), circ de soleil style scissor kicks that mostly result in both teams having a good laugh. I don’t see these things as cries for attention; my personal opinion (even for the teams I’m not a fan of) is that these are mostly just a celebration of youth. People are not victimized or hurt by these actions, unless they choose to be. For perspective, contrast this to a pre-mediated dangerous challenge resulting in physical injury, and there you have a victim, injury – but let’s not talk about baseball again.

Also, you sound pretty convinced that our country is in bad shape, and suggest that perhaps it’s because parents like me are willing to defend these types of actions. First, I don’t agree that our country is in bad shape. I mean, baseball is bad, but other than that, we got it pretty good. We’ve got our own unique challenges, but tell that to someone that lived through the great depression, or any of our troops around the world. What? Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday? Oh the humanity!

Before linking to the goal celebration, I heard a quote recently that at least impacted me. “Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.” This seems to be a common refrain from adults throughout the history. This quote, was from my hommie Socrates back around 400 B.C., which, if my memory serves me correctly (and it usually does 6 days a week), was well before Chick-fil-A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwqGRNtHDQg

world cup
world cup
That's great stuff, Big Left Hook.

Love the governor and Chik-fil-A references.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
"I wish to defend. Thank you for your permission. I wasn’t sure.

Also, congratulations on your 630th post. Impressive"

I said defend if you will, never implied you needed any permission but I guess you needed a witty into to distract from the lack of defense about to be offered. As for how many post I have made, that too must be important to you, or is it more obfuscation as part of your defensive strategery (actually it was likely around the 628th or 629th but I may have posted a couple more before your read it and since the board keeps a running tab, well you can see where I am going, just keeping the facts straight).

Funny you have gone to the length of reading my old posts to find things useful in trying to "defend" the behavior of the player yet in no way have you made any effort to defend what he did. Oh you did say kids will be kids so I guess that is the defense. OK I am fine with that, but a classless move by a kid is still a classless move. Expand and expound upon my words with as much humor and misrepresentation as you wish, perhaps your sage interpation of life and the facts are right. (or left in your case, assuming that's where the Gov. comment comes from)

I get it your a Wando fan and it was an ok thing because you like Wando. You can ingnore it or laud it but the video audio makes it clear he planned to do it (why else does #16 need to move). Now if he planned to do it then we only have to decide if it was classless or not. You are right I may be biased by being a FM fan and thus I see it one way and you another so I guess we can just look at the post of others and see who thought what about the move.

(Oh let us be clear I did not call him any names I only said it was a classless move you will have to take up the punk, D-bag and what ever else he has been call by those who posted those comments. Well I did say "it comes off as a real arrogant move", so I guess maybe you could say I insulted him there but I was commenting of the move not the kid read into it what you will)

throw in
throw in
Big Left Hook, not to stir up any more trouble, but I felt obligated to respond since my name was called out twice. I loved how you used big words to make an argument of a 5th grader. "d-baggary, premeditated classlessness"? Are we supposed to think that you are more intelligent because you use big words on a soccer blog, even if we did know who you are? Anyways, you failed to answer my question completely, instead you typed a quote you learned last week in your philosophy class that has nothing to do with my comment. So being a wando "fan" would you like to address my question of what happened to your team in the tournament? I do not get to see every game like you apparently, and have to rely on what the paper says.

B
brace
brace
B
Several things "happened" to Wando in the tournament.

1) Cardinal Newman played very well all week long. Hats off.
2) Norman North is simply more physical through the midfield, and was POed after losing to an extraordinary effort by CN the previous night.
3) Due to the Pinewood forfeiture and RIDICULOUS 10-point award to each team in the B-C/Clover group, the ONLY way Wando could reach the semifinals was with a 10-point (3-0 or better) win on Day 3. 0nce CN scored a goal, several Wando players (inexcusably) shut down.
4) Wando hit a post and a crossbar in the second half vs. CN.

Overall, it was a disappointing week for Wando.

As to the flip-kick controversy, I'm split on that one. While I generally oppose anything that might be perceived as "showing up" a "defeated" opponent, I can understand why a kid would want to try a PK that way. There is merit to both sides of the argument, but zero merit to personal attacks on Brandon Burkholder.

T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
Quote:

Defend him if you like, but show most people the fact: lost two games in a row, winning the game 4-1 (not even close) and the fact that he planned this... Classless move is the least comment I think you will get from most sports fans.

I don't think the game was 4-1 when he did it.

goal kick
goal kick
Regardless if it was classless... It was sick! How many players can actually do that? If I was able to do that then I would try to show it off as much as I can. I bet the first thing that went through those kids mind on the other team was "wow" instead of "classless jerk".

B
brace
brace
B
It's really a no-win. You can't try it in a close game, because you don't want to miss and lose. Conversely, try it in a one-sided game, and you run the risk of provoking retaliation from a POed opponent.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard