DISCOVERIES SOCCER CLUB NAMES DAVID CARTON AS DIRECTOR OF COACHING
Rock Hill, South Carolina – April 22, 2011 – Discoveries Soccer Club (DSC) has hired Winthrop Men’s Soccer Assistant Coach David Carton as its first full-time Director of Coaching.
As Director of Coaching, Coach Carton’s responsibilities will include directing DSC’s exemplary coaching staff and coordinating all youth soccer training activities. David will also assist DSC Executive Director Dominic Wren with DSC tournaments, camps, fundraising, and recreational soccer programs.
Coach Carton has been associated with DSC since 2007 and will continue to serve as Head Coach of DSC ’96 Green Boys team.
28-year-old Carton, a native of Bunclody, Co. Wexford, Ireland, began his playing career with hometown club Bunclody AFC. After a stint with Torino Scuola di Calcio in Italy, Carton returned to Ireland to continue his playing career with the Wexford Youths. In May 2003, Carton signed for the prestigious Bray Wanderers in the Irish Eircom League. Two seasons with Bray were followed by Carton’s acceptance of an offer to join the Winthrop Eagles, helping the Eagles to a Big South Conference Championship in 2006. In 2007, Carton joined Coach Posipanko’s coaching staff at Winthrop. In his three years on staff, the Eagles have won a Regular Season Championship and two Big South Conference Championships. Carton holds an F.A.I. (Ireland) and a U.S.S.F. C license.
Carton said on accepting the position, “I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to help Discoveries Soccer Club grow and prosper. We have the nucleus in place now to allow this club to reach its potential. We have an extremely talented coaching staff at DSC and I am tremendously excited for what the future holds for Discoveries. I will do my utmost to repay the trust the Board, Dom Wren and the club has placed in me. I also thank Coach Posipanko at Winthrop for all of the opportunities he has given me.”
Carton is graduating in May 2011 from Winthrop with a Masters degree in History.
Discoveries Soccer Club, a 2009 Soccer America Top 40 youth soccer club, is a 501 (c) 3 non profit youth soccer organization and is located in Rock Hill, SC.