3. Noel McDaniel, BC
4. Megan Fish, PP
5. Gracie Boswell, Mal
6. Hannah Allison, Riv
7. Ashley Tanner, RV
8. Alyssa Althoff, CC
9. Allisa Pantuosco, Clover
10. Nellie Phillips, BC

Players to watch: Alexa Gainey (WF), Deangelus Anderson (BL), Amelia Henderson (Wan), Frankie Jumper (Swa), India Robinson (Cam)

(These rankings are calculated based on votes from highly trained professionals who specialize in evaluating the quality and nature of High School Soccer)

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
***Promises of no pictures of Hitler, Heise, Gaddafi, Mao, Stalin or any other dictator will be posted in this thread.***

This has been a press release by The FAWGs of The Spring.

Puttin A's on B's
hat-trick
hat-trick
Below is a list of 10 scoring leaders from all classes. It is not all-inclusive and probably not completely up to date, but it is based on the best information I could find:

1. Katie Soles, Pickens, 28 goals, 8 assists, 64 points (15 games), 4.3 points per game
2. Meaghan Carrigan, Christ Church, 15, 5, 35 (10), 3.5
3. Alyssa Althoff, Christ Church, 14, 7, 35 (10), 3.5
4. Kasey Wyer, Southside Christian, 12, 14, 38 (11), 3.5
5. Ashley Tanner, Ridge View, 26, 6, 58 (17), 3.4
6. Cameron Crutchfield, Myrtle Beach, 12, 7, 31 (10), 3.1
7. Yazzy Bennani, Waccamaw, 20, 11, 51 (17), 3.0
8. Amy Dherckers, Irmo, 15, 6, 36 (13), 2.8
9. Stephanie DeVita, Hillcrest, 16, 4, 36 (18), 2.0
10. Nellie Phillips, Brookland-Cayce, 14, 6, 34 (18), 1.9

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Coach P - Thank you for your contribution to The FAWGs of The Spring and FAWGery in general. As a guest statistician to the rankings committee you will be receiving the Copa del Rey Trophy

Puttin A's on B's
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Don't worry we can buy another one and we're winning this one!

C
bench
bench
C
could you list the goals scored against teams with winning rocords

world cup
world cup
9. Jessica Tooley, Fort Mill, 10, 11, 31 (15), 2.1

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

could you list the goals scored against teams with winning rocords

Sorry, I don't have that information which would be much better info than just the raw number of goals and assist.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P - Thank you for your contribution to The FAWGs of The Spring and FAWGery in general. As a guest statistician to the rankings committee you will be receiving the Copa del Rey Trophy

An honor indeed!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

9. Jessica Tooley, Fort Mill, 10, 11, 31 (15), 2.1

Jessica's stats were not on the SCHSSCA Individual Stats sheet. I suggest you submit them or have the head coach do so.

S
throw in
throw in
S
This doesn't totally answer the question about goals against teams with a winning season but here are the statistics of teams of the players listed based on Eurosport. The number of games against teams with a "winning" record and the number of goals the team scored. I assumed scrimmages were not counted in the games/ goals so I just counted the same amount of games the player had listed.

Pickens: 4 games out of the 15 games - 3 goals (team avg. .75)
Christ Church: 4 games of the 10 games listed - 14 goals (team avg. 3.5)
Southside Christian: 7 games/12 - 6 goals (T.A. .86)
Ridge View: 9 /17 - 21 goals (T.A. 2.33)
Myrtle Beach: 4/10 - 14 goals (T.A. 3.5)
Waccamaw: 7/17 - 3 goals (T.A. .428)
Irmo: 7/15 - 19 goals (T.A. 2.7)
Hillcrest: 8/18 - 8 goals (T.A. 1.0)
Brooklyn Cayce: 10/18 - 14 goals (T.A. 1.4)

For reference - games through April 5th excluding scrimages:
Wando: 9/13 games - 22 goals (T.A. 2.4)
Riverside: 10/16 games - 19 goals (T.A. 1.9)
Eastside: 7/15 games - 10 goals (T.A. 1.4)

There are so many variables - 4A down to 1A, a "winning team" schedule strength, injuries, depth of team, etc. So in the end, what does it mean. Nothing unless you can score more than the other team. Isn't there a saying along the line goals wins games, defense wins championships - something like that......??

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Individual scoring stats are unmeasureable and worthless in High Scool soccer regular season.So any current stats are a joke. Here's why. We have high school games where we purposely stop scoring. The most goals you'll ever see out of our high school team in a game is 8, sometimes 6. We've hit the 8 goals before halftime. At that point we're going to be playing keep away, or we would score in the 16 - 24 goal range. I saw a Fort Mill score of 14-0 tonight, I saw a girl score 6 goals in a 10-0 game last week, so how can you call that a scoring achievement.Those numbers are not from achievement, but are from NO competition. Stats probably shouldn't be tallied until playoffs start when you have real competition. Any regular SC High school scoring stats shouldn't even be registered.

brace
brace
Excellent point, and a logical conclusion would be that any "all time scoring records" are useless too. Maybe counting personal stats in the playoffs would make more sense but then you might get some real big blowouts in first round matches every now and again mas player look to pad stats.

Last edited by The Chief; 04/26/11 03:35 AM.
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
SMH!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Individual scoring stats are unmeasureable and worthless in High Scool soccer regular season.So any current stats are a joke. Here's why. We have high school games where we purposely stop scoring. The most goals you'll ever see out of our high school team in a game is 8, sometimes 6. We've hit the 8 goals before halftime. At that point we're going to be playing keep away, or we would score in the 16 - 24 goal range. I saw a Fort Mill score of 14-0 tonight, I saw a girl score 6 goals in a 10-0 game last week, so how can you call that a scoring achievement.Those numbers are not from achievement, but are from NO competition. Stats probably shouldn't be tallied until playoffs start when you have real competition. Any regular SC High school scoring stats shouldn't even be registered.

Fort Mill put up 14 against Fairfield Central in two 30-minute halves. It was senior night. All 8 seniors scored a goal, no player scored more than two goals. Usually in these matches, Fort Mill players are limited to one goal each.

I agree that high school stats are "unmeasureable", but FM is the last team in the state that should be "referenced" as padding their statistics.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Stats don't matter.

Leave the judging to the FAWGs. They know when talent is in their vision and when it's not.

Speaking of talent. Congratulations to Casey Black from Woodruff. She'll be receiving free tickets to the Pastor Troy concert at the VFW in St. Matthew's SC including backstage buffet passes (Dad's not welcome)!

Last edited by TugJobber; 04/26/11 12:29 PM.

Puttin A's on B's
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
"It was senior night. All 8 seniors scored a goal, no player scored more than two goals. Usually in these matches, Fort Mill players are limited to one goal each."

Nothing wrong with scoring as many goals as you can. When you start arranging on the field who is going to score because it's "Senior night", now that's a joke.(It's little Suzy Senior's turn to score because she hasn't scored this year) It is no longer a sport when you start doing that.

The only way your going to fix this is throw the size of the schools out of the HS soccer mix. Have a South Carolina power league with 12-16 teams. Riverside's,Mauldin's, Wando's are going to get much better competion from a 2a Woodruff, Christ Church than a big school like the Byrnes, Union's, Greer's. Then you can start counting scoring stats.

world cup
world cup
I agree.

Coach P did an excellent job of arranging 4 divisions within the lowerstate and upperstate, based on competitiveness. Promotion/relegation would be a good idea but it's probably not practical with graduation turnover.

Coach P......bust out that list for us again please,

hat-trick
hat-trick
Hurst, Is this what you are referring to?

Posted 4/20/2010 in the thread: "Can or should Soccer have its own class in High School??”

http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=134068&page=21&fpart=2&vc=1

Quote:

While we're dreaming, how about this based on the midseason Massey ratings:
-
DIVISION I
Upper Conference: Dorman, Mauldin, TL Hanna, Riverside, Woodruff, Eastside, Spartanburg, Greenville, Christ Church, Boiling Springs, Byrnes, Wren, JL Mann, Hillcrest
Middle Conference: Ft Mill, South Aiken, Clover, Spring Valley, Lexington, Brookland-Cayce, Dutch Fork, Irmo, Blythewood, White Knoll, Ridgeview, Dreher
Lower Conference: Wando, Waccamaw, Hilton Head, Bishop England, West Ashley, Academic Magnet, West Florence, James Island, Summerville, Myrtle Beach, St James, Beaufort
-
DIVISION II
Upper Conference: Wade Hampton, Travelers Rest, Walhalla, Seneca, Southside Christian, Belton-Honea Path, Easley, Pickens, Woodmont, Blue Ridge, Westside, Broome, West-Oak
Middle Conference: Chapin, Barnwell, Northwestern, Nation Ford, Airport, North Augusta, Gilbert, AC Flora, Rock Hill, Swansea, Aiken, Lancaster
Lower Conference: Stratford, Carolina Forest, Bluffton, Ft Dorchester, N Myrtle Beach, Berkeley, Ashley Ridge, Socastee, Colleton County, Hanahan, Conway, Sumter
-
DIVISION III
Upper Conference: Gaffney, Southside, Greenwood, Greenville Tech, Chapman, Greer, Daniel, Union, Carolina Academy, Berea, Pendleton, Landrum, Laurens
Middle Conference: Richland NE, York, South Pointe, O'burg-Wilkinson, Indian Land, Andrew Jackson, Pelion, Lugoff-Elgin, Chester, Lewisville, Fairfield Central, Camden
Lower Conference: Hampton, Loris, Goose Creek, Hartsville, Garrett Tech, Timberland, South Florence, Woodland, Burke, Andrews, Crestwood

-
SCHEDULE: Each team would play all of the teams in their conference once and schedule non-conference/interdivisional games to complete a 16 games schedule.

-
PROMOTION/RELEGATION: Each year there would be promotion/relegation of four teams between the divisions of each conference. For example, the bottom two teams from D1-Upper would move down to D2-Upper and top two teams from D2-Upper would move up to D1-Upper.

-
PLAYOFFS: The top four teams from each conference would enter a 12 team playoff system at each division level. For example, at D1, the top four Upper, top four Middle, and top four Lower would make the playoffs. The top team from each of the three conferences and a wild-card with the best record would get byes in the first round. The playoffs would then progress to quarterfinals, semifinals, and championship rounds. So there would be a D1 Champion, D2 Champion, and D3 Champion like there are in AAAA, AAA, and AA/A champions now.

Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
This is clever Master Coach P! I like it!

B
brace
brace
B
I love the concept of relegation/promotion, but not in high school. Kids and coaches come and go. Suppose I go through a nice run of kids, a la Lincoln a few years back. Over a few years, I get promoted, only to reach the highest level THE YEAR AFTER my best players graduate.
Also, a promotion/relegation system might prompt kids to transfer from school to school in search of competition and championships.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I think promotion/relegation would be fine in high school. If you look over time, you typically have the same group of schools that have been strong. This would mean they would be playing each other instead of having non-competitive region games against very weak opponents (20-0, etc). If a school runs into hard times after being promoted, it would only last one season and they would be relegated. It would mean players for teams like Lower Richland, O-W, Laurens, etc, could actually enjoy the sport playing each other instead of getting killed game after game by the likes of AC Flora, BC, Lexington, TL Hanna, etc. On the other hand, a school like White Knoll, for example, who has improved greatly over the last 10 years, would be moved up into a level of competition commensurate with their improved quality of play.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

I think promotion/relegation would be fine in high school. If you look over time, you typically have the same group of schools that have been strong. This would mean they would be playing each other instead of having non-competitive region games against very weak opponents (20-0, etc). If a school runs into hard times after being promoted, it would only last one season and they would be relegated. It would mean players for teams like Lower Richland, O-W, Laurens, etc, could actually enjoy the sport playing each other instead of getting killed game after game by the likes of AC Flora, BC, Lexington, TL Hanna, etc. On the other hand, a school like White Knoll, for example, who has improved greatly over the last 10 years, would be moved up into a level of competition commensurate with their improved quality of play.

I could not agree more Coach P. However, with our inbred collection of athletic directors and administrators that can't even find the value of a draw in soccer, then this is a pipe dream at best.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I could not agree more Coach P. However, with our inbred collection of athletic directors and administrators that can't even find the value of a draw in soccer, then this is a pipe dream at best.

I agree with the pipe dream part.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
HOOTIE HOO MASTER COACH P

HOOTIE HOO!!!!

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
corner kick
corner kick
I have to agree with a lot of the comments on High School Soccer statistics. A lot of coaches never even report stats. Some teams don't even take stats. I know last year our final stats were never reported by our coach. And this year they have not been reported at this point. We have one of the best players in the state on our team, and I have not even seen her name mentioned. She is only a sophmore. I dont think power rankings have anything to do with class. Mayby you are talking about seniors only. Since she is not my daughter I am not going to mention her name, but most people who really know soccer knows who I am talking about. I think once the ECNL gets rolling you will see a lot of the top players not even play High School. I am not necessarly saying I wish this but I think it is going to happen.

That there is an RV Clark......
corner kick
corner kick
How about having it like a tournament scoring. A player is only credited for 3 goals per game. After that it does not count. That would cut out the 6-10 goals some players get against lesser teams.

That there is an RV Clark......
C
Coach
Coach
C
So would we promote/relegate based on school or individual program? What about schools that have a competitive boys program but a weak girls program, or vice versa? If we do separate the two into entirely different schedules, what scheduling/transportation issues may arise?

Just trying to see all the angles.

I've got good news and bad news...
world cup
world cup
Chass,

While this is extremely practical and would be great for SC High School soccer, it remains a pipe dream. I've spoken with a number of administrators who have told me that this would never fly. The SCHSL would never consider sanctioning "sport-specific" leagues.

It is a fabulous idea, and certainly makes good soccer sense.

C
Coach
Coach
C
You never know; sometimes the guard changes, and so do the mindsets along with the times. If it ever does come up for serious consideration, it wouldn't hurt to have worked through a lot of the questions before trying to sell it!

I've got good news and bad news...
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Hobo...she tore us to shreds. She is a GREAT player and deserves any recognition that you can bring her way.

brace
brace
Any chance we could meld this with the idea to do a FA cup like system, someone on here suggested it a while back. Scheduling logistics would be an issue but if all non region games were against more equal opponents maybe it would be a start toward getting better competition. We could have a rotating tournament every year near end of season (could be up for bids between regions) to get top team in "FA" play to a playoff weekend, top 16 teams (about half of these proposed divisions) could be decided in regular knockout format with losers playing for position after a loss so that every one get in min of 3 games. Could be great warmup for State playoffs. If you really wanted to go hog wild you could have a tourney for each division, three tournament around state same weekend. Mean everyone has a chance to win something at their level of play.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard