Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
corner kick
corner kick
Okay, I'm not a very smart man so can someone please tell me the difference between "training" and "coaching?" Seems to me like the flip side of the same coin. I do like the title "Tactical Consutltant."

Kickoff
Kickoff
I believe Coach Cannon has been the girls coach since the school opened. Page 24 of this link:

http://www.schsl.org/2010/10-11directory.pdf

K
bench
bench
K
Quote:

I believe Coach Cannon has been the girls coach since the school opened. Page 24 of this link:

http://www.schsl.org/2010/10-11directory.pdf

Cannon is the coach "on paper." Freeman is a volunteer coach who is really doing the coaching. Freeman was with SCUMP but left in November. He does tournament teams with 93's, 94's and 95's. He trains a bunch of the Saint James girls for their clubs but he is not their club coach, just their trainer. I think some of them did some indoor training with him this winter. I don't know if the school pays him. I didn't think they did, but maybe he is paid. The school website calls him a Tactical Consultant, not a coach.

C
Coach
Coach
C
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's still a tail. --Abraham Lincoln

I've got good news and bad news...
bench
bench
What is the difference between the said "coaching" and "training?" Serious question...

Want to hear about how I broke my pencil? Nevermind, its pointless.
K
bench
bench
K
Quote:

What is the difference between the said "coaching" and "training?" Serious question...

Well, according to the HS rules that a coach posted here, it is okay as long as the girls are not all on the same team for a club. He is training girls of different ages from different club teams that all just happen to play for the same HS team. Some of the girls he trained I don't think even went to any of the tournaments with him, they just trained with him some over the winter I think. I don't think it matters if they are on different club teams. It is a HS team so the girls are all different ages for club teams.

I thought the rule was for 8 players from one team that can't be coached by the same club coach as high school coach.

If he doesn't reach 8 players form one team and he takes them to a tournament, doesn't that keep it from being a HS team practice.

I don't know that St. James had the money to pay three coaches, and like it shows on their website, he is not shown as a coach, he is shown as consultant.

C
throw in
throw in
C
It shouldn't take 5 or 6 paragraphs to explain what's going on in St James. It doesn't smell very good from here.

bench
bench
According to Dictionary.com...

Consultant: n. 1. a person who gives professional or expert advice. Syn: advisor, authority, counsel, expert, freelancer, guide, master, maven, mentor.

Coach: n. 5. a person who trains an athlete or a team of athletes 12. to give instruction or advice to in the capacity of a coach; instruct. Syn: drill instructor, educator, mentor, physical education instructor, skipper, teacher, trainer, tutor.

For some reason, I find only a few vague differences in these definitions. The distinctions between a consultant and coach seem a little too general, especially in a case such as this. Technically, because of shared synonyms (i.e. "mentor") and job descriptions (i.e. to advise...), a coach might act as a consultant and vice-versa. It seems to me that the only difference in these two positions would be their given titles. Hmmm...

corner kick
corner kick
If I am not mistaken, as long as he stays under the 8 player limit he is fine. Someone please correct me if this is not accurate. Will?
What he was doing tonight was certainly coaching.

bench
bench
Quote:

He trains a bunch of the Saint James girls for their clubs but he is not their club coach, just their trainer...

Well then, we may just need to define "a bunch" here. Might "a bunch" be a number inclusive of more than 8?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard