Mauldin/Riverside

QUARTERFINALS

Dorman
Riverside/Mauldin

JL Mann
Riverside/Mauldin

UPPER STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Riverside vs Mauldin

All 4 teams in the Upper State Semi-Finals will be region II teams.

goal
goal
Some comments:

+ I cannot believe how far Dorman has fallen this year.
+ Region 3 is weak, but Region 1 is really weak.
+ As much as I like the Region 2 dominance, don't count out Blythewood and Irmo.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
brace
brace
Region 3-#1 - Spartanburg/Clover
Region 2-#5 - Hillcrest/Boiling Springs

So you are saying neither #5 Spartanburg or #8 Clover will get by unranked Hillcrest or unranked Boiling Springs? Seems ranking might be off a bit and I guess they better hope to be in the other Spartanburg/Clover spot where one gets to go on

To bad we do not have a computer guru to set up a bracetology thread where everyone could post predications! Just need sponsers and big money to get it rolling!

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Chief,

Were #5 Spartanburg or #8 Clover given the luxury of switching places with unranked Boiling Springs or Hillcrest, and playing in Region II while the other two teams played in Region III, then Chief would be posting about how it was hard to belief that unranked Spartanburg and unranked Clover (Because they WOULD lose to Riverside and Mauldin, and probably split or lose to Dorman and JL Mann), could upset ranked Boiling Springs and ranked Hillcrest.

I think most would agree that this would hold true.

brace
brace
While that sounds confusing and would be very hard to say three time fast I get your point and agree no one would want to jump into that region to get a good playoff spot! My intent was to point out that the ranking seem to value record more over opponents and that once playoffs start the rankings mean nothing until after it is all over, and even then only #1 hold true meaning. That and a slight jab at the idea of "winning" second place region is better than first for playoffs?

Last edited by The Chief; 04/30/11 09:29 AM.
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
updated with last night's results.

Quote:

FIRST ROUND

Region 1-#1 - TL Hanna
Region 2-#4 - Dorman

Region 3-#2 - Spartanburg
Region 1-#5 - Westside

Region 2-#1 - Mauldin
Region 1-#4 - Easley

Region 4-#2 - Blythewood
Region 3-#3 - Northwestern

Region 3-#1 - Clover
Region 2-#5 - Hillcrest

Region 1-#2 - Wren
Region 2-#3 - JL Mann

Region 4-#1 - Irmo
Region 3-#4 - Lancaster

Region 2-#2 - Riverside
Region 1-#3 - Greenwood

SECOND ROUND

Hanna
Spartanburg

Mauldin
Blythewood

Clover
JL Mann

Irmo
Riverside

QUARTERFINALS

Hanna
Mauldin

Clover
Riverside

UPPER STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Hanna vs Riverside

Hey, I can dream can't I?

world cup
world cup
I hope the lesser seeds from Region 4 will fair better in the lowerstate than the top two seeds from Region 4 are projected to do in the upperstate.

You have them both going out after Round 2?

D
bench
bench
D
I'm glad we actually PLAY the games. No love for the midlands huh?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Only because they will play Riverside and Mauldin. I am not discounting Irmo and Blythewood and I mean no disrespect to Mike and Kelly but...Riverside and Mauldin, you know?

Quote:

I hope the lesser seeds from Region 4 will fair better in the lowerstate than the top two seeds from Region 4 are projected to do in the upperstate.

You have them both going out after Round 2?

world cup
world cup
I agree, they got dealt a tough hand. I think two of the three Region 4 teams sent down to the lowerstate will draw Wando and Lexington in the first round.

Ouch!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Yes looks like Dutch Fork will go to Wando and Ridge view will go to Lexington

world cup
world cup
Dutch Fork will get West Florence.

Spring Valley, by virtue of last week's win over Dutch Fork, will draw Wando.

Make sense?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Dutch Fork has Region IV-AAAA's 4th seed and Ridge View has the 5th seed regardless of what happens in the remaining games. The order of the top 3 seeds is technically still undecided between Irmo, Blythewood, and Spring Valley. Blythewood and Irmo each have 2 region games remaining and Spring Valley has 1. Irmo can clinch the 1 seed by winning one of their last 2 and, assuming they do, Blythewood can clinch the 2 seed by winning 1 of 2. Spring Valley hosts Irmo Wednesday night. The Lady Vikings won the first match 3-1.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Region IV-AAAA Standings through 4/29/2011:
1 Irmo 9-1
2 Blythewood 8-2
3 Spring Valley 8-3
4 Dutch Fork 6-5 - Clinched 4th seed
5 Ridge View 4-7 - Clinched 5th seed
6 Richland Northeast 2-9
7 Lugoff Elgin 0-10

world cup
world cup
Blythewood still staring at a possible first-round state playoff match at Wando.

Pretty tough "penalty" for finishing 3rd, when the 4th place finisher gets West Flo.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Remaining Region IV-AAAA matches:
5/2 Blythewood at Richland Northeast
5/4 Blythewood at Lugoff Elgin
5/4 Irmo at Spring Valley
5/4 Ridge View at Dutch Fork
5/5 Lugoff Elgin at Irmo

world cup
world cup
Apparently.......Blythewood ain't going to be playing Wando.

brace
brace
Kind of like the reward Clover got for winning #1 in its region Well maybe a little worse (or a lot)

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
It's a shame, but the current realignment will create the worst rewards for strong regular seasons by some AAAA girls teams than any other year in AAAA.

If there was ever a time to argue/lobby for a points system to determine seedings, this would be the year.

Some region champions are getting horrible first round match ups, while some third and fourth seeds are getting very favorable first round draws.

The upper state should feasibly be seeded 1-16 as follows, with the1 seed playing the 16 seed and so on:

1. Mauldin
2. Riverside
3. Irmo
4. TL Hanna
5. Clover
6. Blythewood
7. Spartanburg
8. JL Mann
9. Dutch Fork
10. Northwestern
11. Spring Valley
12. Wren
13. Dorman
14. Hillcrest
15. Greenwood
16. Lancaster

world cup
world cup
Dutch Fork and Spring Valley, (along with Ridgeview), are "lowerstate" teams by virtue of finishing 3-5 in Region 4.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Region 4 is an upper state region. The #3, 4, and 5 seeds are having to play in the lower state playoff bracket due to the decision made to accomodate the current alignment. They would be in the upper state under a 1-16 seeding process.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

So you are saying neither #5 Spartanburg or #8 Clover will get by unranked Hillcrest or unranked Boiling Springs? Seems ranking might be off a bit and I guess they better hope to be in the other Spartanburg/Clover spot where one gets to go on

To bad we do not have a computer guru to set up a bracetology thread where everyone could post predications! Just need sponsers and big money to get it rolling!

Dorman 1, Spartanburg 0... Dorman split with BS and Hillcrest, so yea, he was saying a ranked team will probably lose to an unranked team.

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Quote:

Dorman 1, Spartanburg 0... Dorman split with BS and Hillcrest, so yea, he was saying a ranked team will probably lose to an unranked team.

Boiling Springs 2, #15 Northwestern 1, so yea, he was saying a ranked team will probably lose to an unranked team. Rankings based on in region wins and loses are more to do with strength of regions than strength of teams.

brace
brace
Makes ya wonder why the ranking producers can't figure it out?

I
goal
goal
I
Rankings are made by people. People usually remeber past seasons etc, and that carries weight it should not. Region II, number 6 team beats another region 2, and 3, and 4 ranked teams this year. but hey, it is what it, is.

Our most dangerous forward the day of the Hillcrest game, gave blood. The school said she could not play after that. Or that game would have been different as well, big time, but hey, it is what it, is.

Sometimes things just do not work the way you would think they would or should.

brace
brace
Better hope your playoff opponents do not read this and schedule a blood mobile at the school for the day of a playoff game!

That or guys better tell her that you will give her a juice and a snack, and would be happy to take her to give blood after the season is over!

Give her credit though nice to see kids stepping up for others these days.

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Region II, with Mauldin, Riverside, JL Mann, Dorman, Hillcrest, and Boiling Springs has more depth than any region in the state. Their 6th place team could win about 5 regions in the state.

Region V, with Lexington, White Knoll, South Aiken, Aiken, and North Augusta should make a case for the strongest region, 1-5, in the lower state, and the 2nd toughest region in the state overall. Unranked 4th seed South Aiken took region champ Lexington to overtime and lost 1-0. 2 teams in this region will reach the 3rd round.

Region IV, with Irmo, Blythewood, Spring Valley, Dutch Fork, and Ridge View is the conundrum, with an argument for the 2nd toughest. They could prove to be the 2nd strongest region in the state, and they are also the only region split between upper and lower state. Chances are the top 2 teams in the region don't make it past the second round, though. Tough draw, but that should drop Region IV to the 3rd strongest region.

Region III, with Clover, Spartanburg, and Northwestern probably rounds out the top 4 regions in the state. The depth drops off after the top 3 teams, but all three are worthy of a nod in the state rankings, and capable of making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

5th strongest region goes to Region VII with Wando and West Ashley, and what used to James Island.

The weakest region in the state is a toss up. Region I has TL Hanna and Wren, Region VI has West Florence and Carolina Forest, and Region VIII has Beaufort and Summerville, but there is basically nothing in each region afterwards, or at least no team that is even a 1000:1 threat of making it past the 2nd round. All 3 of these regions could possibly be swept in the 1st round, with TL Hanna being the highest ranked team that could be upset, and they are forced to play a Dorman squad they've already lost to once!

C
throw in
throw in
C
1000 to 1? I'll take that wager. I know the girls in region 1,6 & 8 can't carry the water of the girls from around the rest of the state, especially in the sanctified "up-state", but I have no problem putting something down on the girls from Summerville, JI, Beaufort, CF, WF making it out of round 2. I'll even trust Hurst to hold the money!!!

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Catsdad,

You misread my post.

"but there is basically nothing in each region afterwards"

The teams that would be 1000:1 odds of making it past round 2 would be the 3rd-4/5th place teams in regions I, VI, and VIII, which would be: Greenwood, Easley, Woodmont, Sumter, Conway, Stratford, Ashley Ridge, or Fort Dorchester. Not the teams you listed.

For any of these teams to actually do this, they would have to knock out Lexington, Irmo, Wando, Mauldin, or Riverside Like I said, 1000:1 odds. You can make out the check whenever you feel like it.

For Summerville, Beaufort, CF, James Island, or WF, the odds may be against them, but I agree that any of those teams could make it to round 3.

Last edited by Former Ram; 05/05/11 05:39 PM.
C
throw in
throw in
C
Ok Ram. I get your point. Unfortunately, my wife only gives me cash.

world cup
world cup
Hang on to your money, catsdad!!!

There will be upsets this year, but they won't come from the names of the 3rd and 4th seeds mentioned above.

D
bench
bench
D
Once again, I am glad we actually PLAY the games. The way you guys talk, we should just have the championship game tomorrow between Wando and Mauldin. I think we may see some surprises from the playoffs. Best of luck to everyone, and stay injury free!

world cup
world cup
Wando and Riverside.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

Once again, I am glad we actually PLAY the games. The way you guys talk, we should just have the championship game tomorrow between Wando and Mauldin. I think we may see some surprises from the playoffs. Best of luck to everyone, and stay injury free!

That's known in the medical community to be the direct result of too much exposure to the BCS

I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

Wando and Riverside.

Not going to happen, Mauldin beats Riverside and wins it all. Riverside has more talent than anybody in the state (not even open for discussion) but Mauldin plays soccer and Riverside plays boom ball, plus the RHS girls just want summer to get hear so they can head to the beach. I still think Wando has a good side but way down in the talent department from the last 3-4 years.

"Duh,WINNING."
goal kick
goal kick
Excuse me for asking,but have you actually watched any games this year, or are you just blowin smoke out of your ass?? Just wonderin!!

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

Excuse me for asking,but have you actually watched any games this year, or are you just blowin smoke out of your ass?? Just wonderin!!

Yes, i have had the pleasure of watching RHS play kick ball on the (Reservation) piece of sh*t field. You guys should be embarrassed with that field. Mr transplant, what style would you describe that your team plays ?

"Duh,WINNING."
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Mauldin defense just too good.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Are the final seeding and brackets posted anywhere?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

The brackets are here. but the seedings for regions 1 & 3 are the only ones that have been filled in so far.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Quote:

Wando and Riverside.

Not going to happen, Mauldin beats Riverside and wins it all. Riverside has more talent than anybody in the state (not even open for discussion) but Mauldin plays soccer and Riverside plays boom ball, plus the RHS girls just want summer to get hear so they can head to the beach. I still think Wando has a good side but way down in the talent department from the last 3-4 years.

I think Mauldin beats Riverside, but I can't agree when you say that Riverside has more talent than anybody. Not to take anything away from Riverside, Mann and some of the others, but Mauldin can put a side on the field that should almost be embarrassed if they don't win. Having said that, I don't think that they start their best 11 players.

I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wando and Riverside.

I think Mauldin beats Riverside, but I can't agree when you say that Riverside has more talent than anybody. Not to take anything away from Riverside, Mann and some of the others, but Mauldin can put a side on the field that should almost be embarrassed if they don't win. Having said that, I don't think that they start their best 11 players.

Harry,
Mauldins coach starts the 11 girls that earn the right to be on the field for each game, they might not be the best 11 but they earn there spot during the week, thats more than I can say for some other upstate teams. Mavs dad is this a true statement? yes or no.

"Duh,WINNING."
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wando and Riverside.

Harry,
Mauldins coach starts the 11 girls that earn the right to be on the field for each game, they might not be the best 11 but they earn there spot during the week, thats more than I can say for some other upstate teams. Mavs dad is this a true statement? yes or no.

I certainly can't argue that, and didn't mean to say that any of those players didn't deserve their roles on that team. While my particular opinion may be that some players may or may not be better than others, I fully believe that every player I have seen start for Mauldin is a very good player.

corner kick
corner kick
Czar puts the best 11 he feels fits the formation he is running on any given night.The results speak for themselves.

Only time will tell
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Right. I still believe (no disrespect to RHS etc.) that they should almost be embarrassed if they don't win.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

The brackets are here. but the seedings for regions 1 & 3 are the only ones that have been filled in so far.

The brackets are now filled in: http://www.schsl.org/2010%20Brackets/gso4.pdf

world cup
world cup
Clover's path to the state championship:

Hillcrest
JL Mann
Riverside
Mauldin
Wando

* At least they avoid their old nemesis Dorman.

throw in
throw in
Quarters
Mauldin vs. Spartanburg
Clover vs. Riverside
Lexington vs. Beaufort
Wando vs. West Florence

Semis
Mauldin vs. Riverside
Lexington vs. Wando

Finals
Riverside vs. Wando

Champion
Riverside

M
bench
bench
M
I actually agree with Harry. What is the world coming to.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Looks like the Riverside loss to Mauldin gave them more opportunities to play at home, including a home game in a rematch if both sides make it to the upper state finals.

That sure seems like an odd system.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

Hillcrest
JL Mann
Riverside
Mauldin
Wando

That looks painful from game one!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Looks like the Riverside loss to Mauldin gave them more opportunities to play at home, including a home game in a rematch if both sides make it to the upper state finals.

Nope. Higher seed always hosts!

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

Nope. Higher seed always hosts!

Got it! I just saw the lower right corner. That makes more sense.

Last edited by JAK; 05/06/11 03:42 PM.
world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Hillcrest
JL Mann
Riverside
Mauldin
Wando

That looks painful from game one!

I don't think any team has ever defeated four teams from the same region in order to reach a state final. Region 2 is ridiculously strong this year.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard