Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
N
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
N
so......

the odp teams, almost all, have been announced, and i thought we should have a discussion about ecnl vs. odp.....again.

A) is odp "watered down" because some premier players are now doing ecnl?

B) is ecnl "watered down" because some premier players are doing odp?

C) does it really make a difference?

D) is this all just a further example of how fractured youth soccer is in sc?

what say we have a go at it?

happy bloviating!

world cup
world cup
Is Region 3 Premier League relevant anymore?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
N
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
N
isn't any advanced level competition relevant at any time?

Last edited by nothersoccerdad; 05/01/11 04:45 PM.
L
Goal
Goal
L
will sc/cesa teams playing in encl be allowed to play r3pl next year? i believe the nc & ga teams that are a part of encl will not be playing r3pl beginning next season. i don't think any fl club has joined encl so they will stay w/r3pl.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
4/29 at Aiken, JV Girls
Lex 7 - 0 Aiken

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Just curious as to why you didn't include this level in your original post. If you have a "club soccer budget" of say......$2,500, don't you have to look at all three options?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
From what I heard doing ECNL at NC clubs will run a "little" more the $2500 (a lot more last year). Just club fee for CSA is $3750 (for team below U18) this year, sure there are going to be some expenses on top of that, so 4000-4500 sound like a min cost this year. Any one wanna take a shot at what CESA Ecnl cost or R3 costs??????

Same question can be asked about the Region 3 level of play becasue of the ECNL teams bailng to play only ECNL league play.

Last edited by The Chief; 05/02/11 01:03 AM.
N
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
N
Quote:

Quote:

Just curious as to why you didn't include this level in your original post. If you have a "club soccer budget" of say......$2,500, don't you have to look at all three options?

i was just saying that any opportunity to do something at a higher level is a good thing.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

so......

the odp teams, almost all, have been announced, and i thought we should have a discussion about ecnl vs. odp.....again.

what say we have a go at it?

happy bloviating!

ODP in SC has been watered down long before ECNL or Region III, in my opinion, because it has never had even close to all of the best players in SC tryout/participate. I don't think that there are many, if any, players opting not to do ECNL or Region III because they are involved in ODP.

P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

My understanding is that, at present, CESA is going to attempt to field a single team that will play RIIIPL and ECNL similar to what they did last year. They are likely going to have a large roster because that is a LOT of games; nearly 30 ECNL games alone.

CSA in Charlotte has changed their team heirarchy and created a new team that is exclusively ECNL. Their Predator(old top level) team will compete in RIIIPL. Both have significant expenses tied to them.

ODP is still an option for all.

I know kids that are in all 3 and kids who have picked only one avenue.

Now on to your questions. It appears to me that in the short run, CESA's larger roster and CSA's multiple teams is actually giving more kids a chance to play against other states. If that constitutes watered down because more "little susie's" are getting a chance, then absolutely. Is that a negative; I am not convinced it is.

As far as the state being fractured, it has been ever since my kids were old enough to play and probably still will be when my kids are gone. Every year something changes and some club does something controversial. Somebody will feel left out and try to merge with somebody else until all the egos(& paychecks) in the state are fed. Certainly, USYS will heavily promote an alternative to ECNL and the pendulum will swing the other direction.

RIIIPL is still a very viable league. At last glance, there were zero Florida teams in ECNL(I am sure the board statisticians will proof my work). Those clubs down there still have an RIIIPL championship as their primary target. NC has two ECNL teams in the Mid-Atlantic Region, SC 1, GA 3, AL 1, VA 1. The real bulk of the ECNL teams is not in the Southeast. Any team that makes RIIIPL has a tough schedule ahead. It's not the YMCA just because a few clubs created ECNL teams. Winning a state league and going to regionals / nationals is also still a huge deal and great experience.

In the end, I say it is NOT bad to have all of this going on for our kids.

The real shame of it all is the $$$$.$$ to play.

Last edited by pitchparent; 05/02/11 01:36 PM.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard