Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Funny because I knew I shouldn't have called them outliers.

There are other factors that need to be evaluated:

1. What is the tradition/history of football in the US vs soccer?
2. What is the size of the teams and total number of annual recruits for each sport?
3. What money do HS programs put into football vs other sports?
4. Could better players be produced if there was a "club system" for football?

I don't have answers and, if I did, they might support your theory. But I also don't think it's a complete apples-to-apples comparison.

Hopefully we can all agree that HS soccer isn't a good option for player development while it seems to work, for whatever reason, in football. If we can't agree on that, then we should just stop now:)

C
Throw In
Throw In
C
You and I will not see "eye-to-eye" on this issue, which is fine. That's what makes this message board fun, but I don't think the Club's are doing their job developing the local players to be Top, or even just Mid-level D1 players.

And these Clubs have been around plenty long enough to be doing this.

T
bench
bench
T
I am new to this forum as we are considering moving from CO to Greenville summer. I have a U15 here whose club is not in ECNL. She has traveled to 2 big ECNL events as a "Discovery Player" with another club and for what it is worth, she would choose to be in ECNL any day. Her team still goes to what were once considered the best college showcases in CA, TX and LV but there has already been a drop in the level of competition since ECNL began. As far as SC players not going to big time womens programs, could it be that many, if not most, top players prefer to stay closer to home. CO does currently have some incredibly good players, many in the national pool. Some have chosen to play at Santa Clara, Texas A&M, UNLV, UNC, etc but many more, even some of the best, will chose to stay home playing for CU, DU, and other smaller but strong programs. Just my 2 cents worth as I try to get a sense of what club and HS school is like in SC.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
It's not just me that thinks SC players are not good enough. Go and speak with the Head Coaches at Furman.

Furman Men: 24 Players on the roster. 2 Players from SC.
Furman Women: 20 Players on the roster. 2 Players from SC.

And if your excuse for the above is 'lack of exposure' best you have a word with the club less than 30 miles from Furman.

You have access to the internet go do your own research. I have done mine.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Oh, and if you think being honest is insulting ... we may just have determined the problem with the development of youth soccer players in SC.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Your child wants to be play big time D1 soccer? You might want to get your kid an apartment in Colorado. Just a thought.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Sometimes being honest is insulting. Honesty with data to back it up is valuable. Honesty with no data isn't. And sorry, I haven't seen the data that I think supports the comments, so I think they are more insulting than beneficial.

But maybe you have the data. Did I read your post correctly? You've done research and have data that you think supports your comments and yet, you refuse to share it? Is there any good reason for not sharing it?

Has your research taken into account the 5-6 SC girls commited to Furman for 2011 and 2012?

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

It's not just me that thinks SC players are not good enough. Go and speak with the Head Coaches at Furman.

Furman Men: 24 Players on the roster. 2 Players from SC.
Furman Women: 20 Players on the roster. 2 Players from SC.

And if your excuse for the above is 'lack of exposure' best you have a word with the club less than 30 miles from Furman.

You have access to the internet go do your own research. I have done mine.

There are six verbal commitments from CESA for 2011 and 2012 to the Furman women's program. Could it be a larger number than in the past because of ECNL?

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

Funny because I knew I shouldn't have called them outliers.

There are other factors that need to be evaluated:

1. What is the tradition/history of football in the US vs soccer?
2. What is the size of the teams and total number of annual recruits for each sport?
3. What money do HS programs put into football vs other sports?
4. Could better players be produced if there was a "club system" for football?

I don't have answers and, if I did, they might support your theory. But I also don't think it's a complete apples-to-apples comparison.

Hopefully we can all agree that HS soccer isn't a good option for player development while it seems to work, for whatever reason, in football. If we can't agree on that, then we should just stop now:)

1. Football is much bigger than soccer. Just go to your local HS games, college games, or watch professional games on ESPN, although ESPN hasn't found the love yet for soccer, only during world cup.

2. Soccer 9-12 scholarships available annually, Football at most Large D1's 65 scholarships annually.

3. Much more in football. My daughter plays HS soccer. We were asked to work the concession stand for HS football games, and glad to do it. A parent asked why do Soccer parents have to work concessions at football games? They were told " where do you think most of your HS soccer money comes from"? Answer HS football.

4. Absolutely not. Football, Basketball, and common US sports are probably atleast 50% minority and some families have income challenges. If a DOC said to one of these families we need your child to fly to Seattle, Vegas, Fla, Texas, even NJ this year. What kind of response do you think the DOC is going to get.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Could be but I doubt it. Why would a Furman coach take a 5 hour flight to Seattle for an ECNL event to watch a CESA kid when they can drive 20 minutes to MESA to get the same evaluation.

I could just here Furman's AD. "YOU WHAT?

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard