Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

There are six verbal commitments from CESA for 2011 and 2012 to the Furman women's program. Could it be a larger number than in the past because of ECNL?

Doesn't look like using Furman to support the case was based on good research

Seriously, your comment is a big part of the point I've been trying to make.

First, I haven't seen any good information on how SC stacks up compared to other states. I think it has to be based on percentages because we can't realistically compare raw numbers of recruits to NC, GA, FL, TX or many other states. But even if we had todays information, that doesn't answer the question about whether the things we are doing are helping. Without data now as well as 5 and 10 years ago, it's hard to know what impact you're having.

Second, I don't think we don't know the imapct of ECNL yet. Any information on current college program player mix is using pre-ECNL data. The first group graduating that had any ECNL exposure is 2011. They did not get the full benefit as their first year and first event was after many programs had already been recruiting 2011 players.

2012 graduates had the benefit of some exposure before the real recruiting started, so they had an opportunity to get on some radar screens and the coaches also had opportunities to see them perform against players in other top programs.

2013 graduates will be the first group of players who will have played all of their HS years in ECNL. They will have had exposure through ECNL for two years before the real recruiting begins.

To reiterate, it would be helpful if we had agreement on how to compared ourselves to other states because otherwise, in 4-6 years, we'll just be here having the same discussion with no data to support the comments.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Just my 2 cents worth as I try to get a sense of what club and HS school is like in SC.

If you are trying to get a sense of what club and HS is like in SC, you have come to the WRONG place! What you'll get here are the opinions of less than a dozen people who are very happy with what soccer has provided their family and you'll get the opinions of less than a dozen people who have what I would call an unhealthy, obsessive grudge because their child quit or wasn't good enough.

Probably the only sense that comes from the conversations on here is that none of this stuff is for everybody. If you were involved in ECNL last year, you know for yourself what it is and what it isn't. For costs, you can read on here that it costs anywhere from $1k to $20k. I'd call the club if I were you and get facts.

As for HS, I think you're lucky. At least 3 of the biggest whiners in the upstate (you probably don't know who you are, but the rest of us do) will have their kids graduate this May so you won't have to deal with that. Otherwise, most of the schools and programs have at least some positives to offer.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

Could be but I doubt it. Why would a Furman coach take a 5 hour flight to Seattle for an ECNL event to watch a CESA kid when they can drive 20 minutes to MESA to get the same evaluation.

For one reason, to see how they perform against top talent from around the country every day for three days.

For another, because they can also see kids from other locations. They have the opportunity to see 1-2,000 players over three days. It's actually a very cost-effective way to spot players.

We've had Clemson, Wofford, College of Charleston, USC, USC Upstate, UNC Charlotte, Greensboro, Furman, Davidson and many other nearby schools watch the kids play at the ECNL events. We simply don't get that same level of interest at an R3PL game at MESA, even through the competition is good.

What impact will it have? I wish we had the data to know

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
You know I heard the same pitch you get about the ECNL, about The Premier League. And that pitch was the same about moving from REC to Premier. And that is the same pitch about playing Premier over Challange and Challenge over Classic.

It's always about playing against better talent. Which there is something to be said about that, but through all of this, and all these years, here is what you have-

More travel, more cost and as Cajunkid has said-

Not trememdous results-sending players to good D1 programs.

At least in the past few years, yes some good teams, and CESA wins most State Championships, but they ought to- they've collected most of the best talent in the state.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B

"Probably the only sense that comes from the conversations on here is that none of this stuff is for everybody. If you were involved in ECNL last year, you know for yourself what it is and what it isn't. For costs, you can read on here that it costs anywhere from $1k to $20k. I'd call the club if I were you and get facts." quote from HARRY.

Harry, you say "get the facts", "call the club", so you must know- what are the real costs?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Harry, Harry, do you really think I do not know about the players you just listed?

Furman? Really?

When you said that SC players simply aren't good enough, yes, I assumed you didn't know of the many players that are good enough.

And yes, someone put UNC-Wilmington and UNC-Charlotte into the argument, so I put Furman (and should have put C oc C) into the argument. They're all fine places to go to school and you have to be a very good player to start games at those schools.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

"Probably the only sense that comes from the conversations on here is that none of this stuff is for everybody. If you were involved in ECNL last year, you know for yourself what it is and what it isn't. For costs, you can read on here that it costs anywhere from $1k to $20k. I'd call the club if I were you and get facts." quote from HARRY.

Harry, you say "get the facts", "call the club", so you must know- what are the real costs?

If I'm not mistaken, I answered that on here just a few days ago. Last year's club fee to be on a Premier team was $675. I believe this year is the same. I haven't checked yet. The number for CESA is on their website www.carolinaelitesc.com

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Quote:

you say "get the facts", "call the club", so you must know-

How you can logically say ("get the facts", "call the club") = "you must know" is confusing to me. I'm guessing proofs in geometry gave you fits

The cost of playing answer is going to depend on many factors. The first is which level. In this case, I'm assuming the highest level possible.

So the costs include

* Training - one of the few costs that goes directly to the club

* Uniform - usually every three years and, if like my family, cleats constantly.

* Team costs, which depend on which leagues you play in, which tournament and events you attend, whether you play friendies and have to pay refs etc.

* Travel, whose factors will include can you drive or do you fly, what is the cost of flying, what is the cost of ground transportation if needed, does the entire family attend or just the player, can you share rooms and transportation with other families, how much do you eat or drink when traveling etc.

* Then you have other unknowns like whether you will win state cup or finish high enough in R3PLE to attend regionals. If so, you have another entire set of costs added for going to that event which, again, will be determined by where it is, how long you keep winning, whether the family attends etc.

I'm guessing I've left out one or two, but I think those would be the big considerations.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

Quote:

Just my 2 cents worth as I try to get a sense of what club and HS school is like in SC.

If you are trying to get a sense of what club and HS is like in SC, you have come to the WRONG place! What you'll get here are the opinions of less than a dozen people who are very happy with what soccer has provided their family and you'll get the opinions of less than a dozen people who have what I would call an unhealthy, obsessive grudge because their child quit or wasn't good enough.

Probably the only sense that comes from the conversations on here is that none of this stuff is for everybody. If you were involved in ECNL last year, you know for yourself what it is and what it isn't. For costs, you can read on here that it costs anywhere from $1k to $20k. I'd call the club if I were you and get facts.

As for HS, I think you're lucky. At least 3 of the biggest whiners in the upstate (you probably don't know who you are, but the rest of us do) will have their kids graduate this May so you won't have to deal with that. Otherwise, most of the schools and programs have at least some positives to offer.

Oh God, I love it.. If it's the "wrong" place why are you always on this board??? And if the family from CO wants cost info for the Club all they have to do is read you're previous posts. You're the voice of the Club. Also quit attacking families and their kids on this board.
Also quit you're lying about a handful of disgruntled parents. You had over 48 paying club members in the girls u17's with 3 teams, then when they became u18 last year you were scrambling to make it work and had 1 team with maybe 20 players, do you really think there were only a handfull of upset players and parents, if you think that you're arrogance is off the charts and you're not listening to your customer base.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Oh God, I love it.. If it's the "wrong" place why are you always on this board??? And if the family from CO wants cost info for the Club all they have to do is read you're previous posts. You're the voice of the Club. Also quit attacking families and their kids on this board.
Also quit you're lying about a handful of disgruntled parents. You had over 48 paying club members in the girls u17's with 3 teams, then when they became u18 last year you were scrambling to make it work and had 1 team with maybe 20 players, do you really think there were only a handfull of upset players and parents, if you think that you're arrogance is off the charts and you're not listening to your customer base.

I've made 137 posts since 2/25/07 (more than 4 years)
You've made 205 since 6/30/10 (less than 1 year)
Who's "always on this board"?

You certainly have one version of the 92 age group's story. Another view point might say that some players went to tryouts, went to the parent informational meeting, listened, committed, then quit. Thus making the word 'scramble' fairly appropriate but not exactly accurate. Meanwhile, the players that stayed had a successful Fall. All that wanted to play in college are committed to playing next year. They won state cup and will play in regionals. (at least those that don't break their commitment)

When did I attack families and their kids? Who have I mentioned?

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard