Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#148305 05/04/11 04:23 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Who has the best chance of possibly challenging Irmo's road to the title? I think its their year to finally get a ring.

I
kick off
kick off
I
hahahahahahah , dont count Lexington out. They've got something to prove

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Lexington is Dangerous no doubt, but they don't have the same diversity in their attack or defense. Ryan Freiburger is the heart and soul of their midfield, if he is shut down, then so is lexington. If I were Savitz, I'd put a tall athletic player like Josh Jenkins who I've seen shut down some of the States' best. Although, if Fry gets on a roll and his team rallies behind him, which could spell an Irmo upset. I would love to see that match up.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
There seems to be an air in Aiken that just makes those boys on the South side come up with something special every year. Lets see if an inspiration hits the players and how far they can go at it.

bar25 #148309 05/04/11 04:49 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Aiken doesn't have enough talent to go far in the play offs. They are big and have always played tough, but adrenaline and muscle can only get you so far. I'd expect them to get through the first round, maybe the second, but 3rd I don't think so.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
South side of Aiken would be South Aiken, wouldn't it?

bar25 #148311 05/04/11 05:27 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
haha i guess it would... why wouldn't you just say south aiken?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Make it a thinking game for everyone else of coarse

bar25 #148313 05/04/11 05:37 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Either way, "the boys on the south side" don't have what it takes. Again, their too dependent on the performance of one or two 'star' players on their team. Their forward, Travis, would have to have one hell of a game. I just cant see anyone stopping Irmo's attack, or getting by their rock solid back line. Sieverding and Bivona in the middle? Plus having a seasoned veteran keeper in Rob Sullivan? its a wonder they've been scored on this year.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
So youre saying the past two years they relied on 1 or 2 players and still made it to state? Who? And if so what makes those different from what they have now.

bar25 #148315 05/04/11 05:53 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
I'm saying that they, and virtually all teams rely on big time players in the playoffs. South Aiken has a big time player in Travis(what's his last name) who has been a major part of their attack for the past few years. Although South Aiken has had success in the 3A division, I don't think that one or two academy or premier players will do it for them when going up against a team like Irmo. Irmo also has its 'go-to' players in senior captains Emmett Lunceford and Matt Sieverding, but their excellent supporting cast is what makes Irmo so dangerous. If say Emmett gets hurt or is just off for a game, guys like Dunbaker, Freeman, Jenkins, Manter, and others have the ability to also take over a game. On the defensive side of the ball Bivona is more than capable of leading the back line if Sieverding were to go down. Basically South Aiken and pretty much every other team in the state, maybe apart from Wando, simply doesn't have the depth or weapons that Irmo has, which really shows in the playoffs when seasons are on the line.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
No one on SA's team played higher than challenge soccer in 09 when they beat the all powerful Eastside. I agree that Irmo will roll, but an upset can always happen. And remember, these Irmo kids, along with the past two teams, dont know how to win a state championship

bar25 #148317 05/04/11 06:09 PM
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
That's true, an upset always can happen, and Irmo has had its trouble in the past two state championships. I think the difference this year is that the supporting cast of Irmo's younger and very talented group have grown into their roles. Last year, as mostly sophmores, players like dunbaker, bivona, jenkins, and freeman weren't capable of being true threats and stepping up under the state championship lime light. However, this year I think their better skilled, bigger, stronger mentally, and ready for the challenge. I'd love to see them, lead by sieverding and Lunceford, to play to their potential. If that happens, I don't think anyone can hang with them.

throw in
throw in
I tend to agree with Tri Force about Irmo this year. We've played them twice and about as good as anyone can play them this season. They're just so deep!

However, you noticed last year when Dom came up with a great game plan that totally neutralized Lunceford and they put the clamps down on the glove wearing guys throwing the ball in over at Memorial. It will have to be something similar and some goals are going to have to be scored because you won't beat Irmo 1-0 or 2-1.

T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
Last year Irmo relied heavily on Lunceford, Acree, and the throw ins which were all neutralized by Northwestern's style of play (sit back and counter). This clogged the middle and put pressure on the supporting cast of Irmo to step up, which didn't. Also Savitz left Irmo's Defense 3 on 3 back against some of the best forwards in the state in the past decade with Dennis Moore and Ricardo Garbonzo. Northwestern held off Irmo's attack and then punched a few goals in, good bye state ring. I think the only team that could play this type of a game would be Lexington, with freiburger in the middle, their big strong forward, and an above average defense.

Although, If 'supporting cast' of irmo is tested, I think they'll step up and do the job this time around.

B
throw in
throw in
B
"THERE'S ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN" never count them out, they are back rolling!! Don't ever count coach Wren out and his amazing ability to coach and put out a formation to win the game. Remember this.

corner kick
corner kick
I'm sorry but northwestern this year is not making it to the state championship. Quite frankly they are just not that good this year ad lack true stars to carry the team and help motivate others. They don't have the same offense firepower as they've had the past few years as with defense.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
T
bench
OP Offline
bench
T
I'm going to have to agree with Gucci Mane on this one. Theres no way NW can do it this year, let alone challenge Irmo.

I
throw in
throw in
I
Quote:

"THERE'S ONLY ONE NORTHWESTERN" never count them out, they are back rolling!! Don't ever count coach Wren out and his amazing ability to coach and put out a formation to win the game. Remember this.

We will see soon enough if coaching was the factor in the success the last several years or was it the players. Coach Wren has the chance to truly prove his greatness this post season, will he deliver ??

"Duh,WINNING."
B
brace
brace
B
Winning state championships at the high school level doesn't confer greatness, much less prove it.

throw in
throw in
Don't forget about Beaty, Freiburger, and McAlister!

I
kick off
kick off
I
What were you saying about NW?? lol

J
Brace
Brace
J
I had heard they didn't have a good chance of making it out of the second round, but I didn't quite think they would lose to whom they did. Will be interesting to see what they can do next year. Will they step up again, or will they just be an average to above average next year?

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard