Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#148402 05/06/11 03:39 PM
S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Is the playoff schedule out? Who is playing who?

W
goal
goal
W
Monday May 9th
CN vs Wilson Hall 6:30pm
PG vs Ben Lippen/Heathwood Loser

Pinewood vs Ben Lippen/Heathwood Winner
Hammond vs Florence Christian

B
kick off
kick off
B
Good luck to all.

Birch #148405 05/07/11 12:12 PM
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Official brackets

http://www.scisa.org/athletics/soccer/Spring%20Brackets.pdf

Not sure I understand them. Why does the winner of Ben Lippen vs Heathwood Hall end up a #4 seed in the lower state and the loser is a #3 in the upper?

Upstate:
1 Cardinal Newman
2 Porter Gaud
3 loser of Ben Lippen / Heathwood Hall
4 Wilson Hall

Lower:
1 Pinewood Prep
2 Hammond
3 Florence Christian
4 winner of Ben Lippen / Heathwood Hall

That can't be right? It seems to me the winner / loser of the BL vs HH games have been switched.

Coach Eudy - maybe you can explain?

S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
To add to Pantherfan's question, why does the Columbia region get all four teams in the playoffs and the other two regions get 2 teams each (both having four teams also)?

Last edited by Scsoccersc; 05/08/11 10:41 PM.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

To add to Pantherfan's question, why does the Columbia region get all four teams in the playoffs and the other two regions get 2 teams each (both having four teams also)?

Maybe because the Columbia region has the better teams and they wanted to reward the top SCISA teams, not just hand-outs.

Warrior #148408 05/09/11 02:41 AM
S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Hatch I understand what you are saying, but seriously... can someone "in the know" explain what is the true answer to how the playoffs are seeded?

W
goal
goal
W
PantherFan/Scsoccersc- I have no idea. We turn in a season results list to SCISA myabe overall results? I have no clue to be honest with you. Sorry not to be

Last edited by Will Eudy; 05/09/11 02:34 PM.
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Coach Eudy - thanks for the response. The pinewood AD thinks it's because SCISA ranks each region first and that the 2&3 seeds will be on the opposite side than the 1 seed. That would explain the match ups, but creates some strange first round games. Either way I am sure Pinewwod (like Cardinal Newman) is wiling to play anyone anywhere on the road to state. Good luck and I would love to see another rematch. Although it would be good to see this one won in regulation with out having to go PKs or another crazy indirect kick.

W
goal
goal
W
Agreed.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
SCISA Class AAA Playoffs -- First Round

@ George Watson Field

Cardinal Newman 3

Wilson Hall 1

Goals: (CN) Thomas Touma, Pennington Nieri, Koty Millard... (WH) own goal
Assists: (CN) Thomas Touma, Nestor Jaramillo, Koty Millard

CN will face the winner of Ben Lippen/Porter Gaud on Wednesday at Cardinal Newman.

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Pinewood 3
Heathwood Hall 2

W
goal
goal
W
Porter 4

Ben Lippen 1

CN vs PG at CN 7:30pm on Wed

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Any score from the Hammond vs Florence Christian game.

W
goal
goal
W
6-1 Hammond

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
@pinewood
Pinewood 3
Hammond 2

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
SCISA AAA State Playoffs -- Semifinals

@ George Watson Field

Cardinal Newman 3

Porter Gaud 1

Cardinal Newman will face Pinewood Prep Saturday @ 12:00 PM @ Porter Gaud.

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
Lots of cards in the Pinewood-Hammond game. Pinewood #9 got a straight red for asking the ref if he was going to give him a f###ing card.

TS #148420 05/12/11 04:34 AM
803 Offline
kick off
kick off
Finals again are CN v.s Pinewood. Saddle up for an intense/dramatic finish.

TS #148421 05/12/11 08:17 PM
O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Lots of cards in the Pinewood-Hammond game. Pinewood #9 got a straight red for asking the ref if he was going to give him a f###ing card.

Not exactly. He did get a straight red for an expletive, but the referee was already pulling out his red card as he turned around to see No. 9 on the ground - the same position he was in when he let loose with the expletive.

The referee was out of position and sucking wind much of the night. He stopped play a couple of times for no apparent reason other than to catch his breath. On this play, he managed to completely miss clearly dangerous play that frankly could have been called either way. Up until that point, it was a rather uneventul (as far as Pinewood-Hammond goes) match with Pinewood holding a 2-0 midway through the second. When the referee heard the expletive with his back to No. 9, he simply lost it. One of the linesmen, who apparently did see the play from forty yards away, tried to intervene but to no avail. At most, No. 9 deserved a yellow, but given that the referee was completely lost as to what had just transpired a few feet away, a no-call may have been the most appropriate course. In any event, to give a straight red for an expletive in a high school semi-final is a clear indication that the referee - in addition to being out of shape - has a very fragile ego. In a situation like that, any well-adjusted person would know to exercise some discretion and restraint.

I understand there are efforts to have SCISA reinstate No. 9 for the championship Saturday. If it had been a player for practically any of other SCISA school, this would be a done deal. Given SCISA's recent witch hunt against Jason Birchwood, I am not holding my breath.

corner kick
corner kick
what player is number 9 for pinewood?!

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
O
throw in
throw in
O
Here ya go: http://www.pinewoodprep.com/Athletics/soccer_varsity.html

Last edited by oldskoolpinewood; 05/12/11 09:07 PM.
F
kick off
kick off
F
Cardinal Newman should win this one without much problem. They are a much stronger team than Pinewood and stay cool under pressure, unlike the out of control Pinewood team. Seven straight is impressive but it all ends Saturday.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Cardinal Newman should win this one without much problem. They are a much stronger team than Pinewood and stay cool under pressure, unlike the out of control Pinewood team. Seven straight is impressive but it all ends Saturday.

While I haven't seen many state championship matches won "without much problem," I will agree with you on this much: Cardinal Newman SHOULD win this one.

Cardinal Newman is a very talented team - more talented that the vast majority of High School League teams. They would likely win the SCHSL AAA championship even though the would actually have to play in Single A where they would crush everyone. They SHOULD win Saturday. But here's the thing: they should have won last year and they should have won in '09. They lost in '09 when they became failed to "stay cool under pressure."

So, I guess my question is this: what does "should" have to do with anything? These teams will go at it hard just as they did earlier in the year when Cardinal Newman tallied a 1-0 victory. I expect (and hope) that Saturday's match will be decided by a goal (or two) because PKs are a lousy way to decide a championship.

Last edited by oldskoolpinewood; 05/13/11 03:26 AM.
803 Offline
kick off
kick off
""Cardinal Newman is a very talented team - more talented that the vast majority of High School League teams. They would likely win the SCHSL AAA championship even though the would actually have to play in Single A where they would crush everyone. They SHOULD win Saturday. But here's the thing: they should have won last year and they should have won in '09. They lost in '09 when they became failed to "stay cool under pressure.""

If I recall correctly in '09 a bogus call by the ref, late in the game basically gift wrapped the game for Pinewood. And again last year a game winner for CN in OT was called back. "Cool under pressure" is one thing , but it has been cool in the face of absolute robbery. Pinewood has been lucky to get away with what they have. Karma is the word that comes to mind.

803 #148427 05/13/11 04:44 AM
O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

If I recall correctly in '09 a bogus call by the ref, late in the game basically gift wrapped the game for Pinewood. And again last year a game winner for CN in OT was called back. "Cool under pressure" is one thing , but it has been cool in the face of absolute robbery. Pinewood has been lucky to get away with what they have. Karma is the word that comes to mind.

You do not recall correctly because although it was a highly unusual, even bizarre chain of events, there was nothing "bogus" about the call. The Cardinal Newman keeper clearly picked up a ball that had been kicked to him by a teammate. In my view, the critical error was by the defender who should have cleared the ball rather than put his keeper in that position. But, then again, CN only needed to "stay cool under pressure," focus on defending the indirect kick, and walk out with a championship.

Again, Cardinal Newman should win. Judging from its wins over Wando and Norman North, Cardinal Newman is probably one of the top 5 or so teams in the state in any classification, and quite possibly one of the top 50 teams in the nation. It will probably take the Cardinal Newman keeper picking up a ball kicked to him or players arguing a call instead of defending against an indirect kick for Pinewood to win.

W
goal
goal
W
This game deserves more than PKS. Good luck to Pinewood Prep and heres to a good match!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I'll drink to that

throw in
throw in

This game has no business going to PKS. CN 3 or 4 - 1.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
What's wrong with winning a championship in PK's? Brazil, Italy did it in the World Cup

Pinewood won its 7th championship last year, but most people refused to give them credit for their accomplishments.

Fact - Pinewood coach was forced to resign by SCISA, after they created some Bogus rule specifically targeting Pinewood. Can someone shed some light on this rule? Can a SCISA rep help clear up this issue finally?

What is unfortunate is that the young men at Pinewood were really looking forward to another run at the state championship with coach Birchwood.

The state cup this year has no real zest about it. It seems everything was put in place for Cardinal Newman or some upstate school to win this year. Not taking anything away from the hard work of the Cardinal Newman staff and players

What would have been nice to see would be Coach Birchwood defend his title against a Cardinal Newman team that is much improved and is coached by Will Eudy.

Wishing both teams all the best in the finals. May the best team win and provide some really great entertainment for the many fans.

L
bench
bench
L
Any chance someone knows why they are seeded?

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

. . .

Fact - Pinewood coach was forced to resign by SCISA, after they created some Bogus rule specifically targeting Pinewood. Can someone shed some light on this rule? Can a SCISA rep help clear up this issue finally?

What is unfortunate is that the young men at Pinewood were really looking forward to another run at the state championship with coach Birchwood.

The state cup this year has no real zest about it. It seems everything was put in place for Cardinal Newman or some upstate school to win this year. Not taking anything away from the hard work of the Cardinal Newman staff and players

What would have been nice to see would be Coach Birchwood defend his title against a Cardinal Newman team that is much improved and is coached by Will Eudy.

Wishing both teams all the best in the finals. May the best team win and provide some really great entertainment for the many fans.

Here is the new "Jason Birchwood Rule" from the SCISA Blue Book:

Coaching Out-of-School Teams (Club, Travel, AAU…) August 2, 2010 - May 2011
It shall be considered a violation if a coach (any coach on your school staff; paid or volunteer), coaches an out-of-school team that has more than 3 students from the coach‘s school. It is also a violation if one of your coaches practices more 3 players from your school at the same time even though they are on different teams.

Notice two things: It refers to "students" rather than "players" and it complete exempts summer travel baseball. If the rule had simply used "players" instead of "students," Birchwood would be leading the Panthers onto the pitch in the morning.

SCISA knew that Birchwood coached a girls club team with more than three Pinewood students and - voila - no more Birchwood. I suppose he could have given up his day job coaching club ball and stayed at Pinewood for his paltry stipend - but SCISA knew he wasn't going to that. They were so anxious to lower the level of competition in SCISA that they instituted a poorly-drafted rule that read literally will prevent a volunteer assistant JV Boys coach from coaching his daughter and more than a couple of her classmates on a U6 micro team.

Believe me, let Cardinal Newman win a championship or two and this "let's dumb down our coaching so maybe our lousy schools might have a chance" crowd at SCISA will pass a rule to run off Coach Eudy as well. Eventually, the "real" schools in SCISA - Porter, Pinewood, Hammond, Heathwood, Cardinal Newman, Hilton Head Prep, etc. - will get fed up with this "let's dumb'em down like us" crowd and either demand leadership change in SCISA or they will go their own way.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

What's wrong with winning a championship in PK's? Brazil, Italy did it in the World Cup

Pinewood won its 7th championship last year, but most people refused to give them credit for their accomplishments...

Nothing is "wrong" with winning a championship with PKs, its just not preferable. And if you are going to win 6 straight championships, you cannot expect your rival schools to give you too much credit for your 7th. They were all pulling against you - it goes with the territory. You can be a champion or you can be loved by everyone. You cannot be both.

As far as PKs go, I don't like them. Sometimes the team that dominates play also wins in PKs, sometimes not. I would not allow them in regular season matches. Play two tens and if its still a tie, then its a tie. In tournaments, I'd play two tens and then a golden goal OT for as much as 20. THEN and only then, PKs.

J
bench
bench
J
Quote:

Quote:

You do not recall correctly because although it was a highly unusual, even bizarre chain of events, there was nothing "bogus" about the call. The Cardinal Newman keeper clearly picked up a ball that had been kicked to him by a teammate. In my view, the critical error was by the defender who should have cleared the ball rather than put his keeper in that position. But, then again, CN only needed to "stay cool under pressure," focus on defending the indirect kick, and walk out with a championship.

Were you even at the game oldskool? You got one fact correct, it was a passback and the correct call was made. That has never been the issue. The issue was the Pinewood graduate that was the center ref walked up to the line of Cardinal Newman defenders and said and I quote "look at me and listen, do not move until the ball is struck". During this speech is when the kick was taken. Then when the CN players righfully asked for it be retaken his comment was and again I quote "the players did not have to stop nor listen to me because I had not blown my whistle".

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Were you even at the game oldskool? You got one fact correct, it was a passback and the correct call was made. That has never been the issue. The issue was the Pinewood graduate that was the center ref walked up to the line of Cardinal Newman defenders and said and I quote "look at me and listen, do not move until the ball is struck". During this speech is when the kick was taken. Then when the CN players righfully asked for it be retaken his comment was and again I quote "the players did not have to stop nor listen to me because I had not blown my whistle".

Wow, I am glad you are conceding the obvious - that the keep picking up the passback was the correct call. THAT was the argument I heard from Cardinal Newman for a year - that it was not a passback at all.

This is the first I've heard that the Pinewood Alumni Association put the fix on the game. Yes, I was at the game and here's what I saw (and what the video shows): Cardinal Newman players were initially set but jumped when they thought Pinewood had struck the ball, Pinewood players pointed at Cardinal Newman players moving, Cardinal Newman players pointed at the ball, Pinewood player realizes that play is still live and the rest is history.

As I said, it was a very unusual turn of events. Cardinal Newman should have just defended the indirect and stayed cool. They lost their cool on the underlying play and kept losing it before and after the indirect was taken. If they don't lose their cool tomorrow, they are likely champions. Good luck.

I am interested to know the center ref's name and graduating year from Pinewood. That certainly adds to the legend.

S
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Oh my goodness....everyone get over last year's game. From what I saw and heard both CN and Pinewood should consider themselves lucky to be in the finals. Pinewood winning by only 1 point twice in the playoffs, and CN was very lucky to get by PG, sketchy ref calls in that game too. The refs are part of the game unfortunately. All teams have benefitted and been hurt by good and bad calls.

Good luck to both teams tomorrow. Hopefully everyone will just play soccer and not bicker with their mouths.

Have fun.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
SCISA CLASS 3A BOYS SOCCER: PINEWOOD PREP 1, CARDINAL NEWMAN 0
Panthers shock No. 1 Cardinals
Pinewood Prep hands CN a rare shutoutPinewood Prep hands CN a rare shutout
By JOHN DEVLIN - Special to The State

Cardinal Newman ended Pinewood Prep’s SCISA boys soccer reign as year ago, and the Panthers from Summerville returned the favor on Thursday at George Watson Field.

Pinewood (13-10) pulled off a 1-0, shootout upset of the top-ranked, defending champion Cardinals in the Class 3A semifinals and will take on Lowcountry rival Porter-Gaud in Saturday’s title bout at Stone Stadium.

“It’s not that I didn’t think Pinewood could beat us, but never in a million years did I think that we’d be shut out,” Cardinal Newman coach Will Eudy said.

“I can’t really explain why it happened this way, but it did and it’s tough to take. I feel so bad for these guys, especially the seniors. This isn’t the way we wanted it to end.”

Cardinal Newman, which finished 17-5, came into the match averaging 4.3 goals per game this season and hadn’t been shut out in its 65 previous outings.

The Cardinals controlled the flow during regulation, out-shooting the Panthers 26-7 while earning a 7-1 advantage in corner kick opportunities, but the bottom line was too many off-target shots and brilliant play by Pinewood Prep keeper Ryan Moore.

“We had our chances but we certainly didn’t finish like we’re capable of doing, and (Moore) played great. He won them the game,” Eudy said.

Moore finished with 16 saves, and was equally adept at anticipating Cardinal intentions and repeatedly cut off crossing passes through the box to negate potential scoring chances.

“We knew it was going to be a challenge coming up here and playing Cardinal Newman on this small field, but my guys persevered and kept working,” Panthers coach Enrique Rodriguez said. “Ryan made it all work in the net. No question, he was the key to the win.”

In the other end, Cardinal Newman keeper Thomas Wilczewski was called on to make four saves in 110 minutes of play in regulation and overtime.

Pinewood Prep was 5-for-5 in the penalty kick shootout against Wilczewski with Kevin Weber’s clean score on the fifth rotation being the game-winner.

Cardinal Newman had conversions from stars Nestor Jaramillo and Koty Millard, senior Thomas Touma and freshman Jack Sicker, but Andrew Wilczewski’s wide-of-the-mark launch on the fourth rotation proved costly.

B
kick off
kick off
B
Congrats to the Boys from Pinewood.. Good luck in the final this Saturday..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard