Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
bench
bench
Quote:

Academic Magnet is a Public High school. Students must be residents of Charleston County to attend AMHS. Prospective students must complete an AMHS application. The application includes teacher recommendations, test scores, writing sample and grades (a minimum overall B average in core academic courses). Students must have a minimum national percentile rank of 85 on recent norm-referenced achievement tests. Students must demonstrate proficiency in composition and grammar by successfully completing a writing sample. Writing sample sessions will be offered at stand alone CCSD middle schools. Public middle schools will administer the test through your guidance department.

So is this legalized segregation considering how poorly the public school system is as a whole in SC?

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Copsey did so, moving up to forward from center halfback because of concussion symptoms she'd had for 10 days. Her goal kept the Raiders even until Singleton put the Jackets back on top.

Good article by Bob Castello. Just one fair comment from my side: Megan Copsey did not have concussion symptoms for 10 days. She had concussion-like symptoms 10 days AGO! Big difference.
I would never allow a student-athlete to compete if she still had symptoms and was not cleared to play. Concussions are very serious injuries and treated like that on my team.

Other than that: Congratulations to Fort Mill. I thought it was a really good game under difficult weather/field conditions. The FM-crew did a fantastic job clearing the field from standing water with brooms and anything they could find. Great atmosphere in the stands on both sides in spite of the constant downpour. Glad we got the game in and nobody got injured so that FM can take the strongest line-up to Cola. Good Luck in the Championship game this Friday (hopefully). May the better team win! Rain, rain go away!

Thanks Coach. Conditions were not great last night and I'm sure the delay threw your girls off a bit, but I think you turned in a very good performance. I know you have a lot of girls coming back next year. Best of luck.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Academic Magnet is a Public High school. Students must be residents of Charleston County to attend AMHS. Prospective students must complete an AMHS application. The application includes teacher recommendations, test scores, writing sample and grades (a minimum overall B average in core academic courses). Students must have a minimum national percentile rank of 85 on recent norm-referenced achievement tests. Students must demonstrate proficiency in composition and grammar by successfully completing a writing sample. Writing sample sessions will be offered at stand alone CCSD middle schools. Public middle schools will administer the test through your guidance department.

So is this legalized segregation considering how poorly the public school system is as a whole in SC?

legalized segregation? Care to elaborate so I can offer the proper response?

Last edited by Soccer4fun; 05/17/11 04:27 PM.
O
bench
bench
O
This comes up every year. Private or pay to attend schools recruiting? First, i do not believe these schools actively recruit. They do not have to. 2/3 of all the students at Christ Church play sports. 1/4 at best play sports at public schools and leans very heavely to the boys side for football. Soccer clubs in the Greenville and Charleston areas field about 5-600 high school age girl soccer players per year. It is expensive to play club soccer at the higher levels. It is also expensive to go to private school. These girls in these areas all know each other and who plays with who and where. Is this recruiting? No. Is it fair? No. But as long as the only rules are how many students you have, it is within the rules. CC,BE,SSC,AM,and StJ are going to continue to dominate AA girls soccer.

A
bench
bench
A
The suggestion of "legalized segregation" at Academic Magnet is ironic given the history of magnet schools in particular and the Academic Magnet in particular. Magnet schools were developed in the 60's as remedy to segregation and alternative to bussing. They intentionally drew students from across (segregated) district lines to diversify minority districts abandoned by white students. AM was formed as part of a settlement of a long running Civil Rights Action against the Charleston County School District over discriminatory districting. It originally existed as a school within a school in Burke HS, which had a virtually all black student body at the time in downtown Charleston. It eventually moved to the Naval Base, and moved to its present campus last year. For anyone who has seen the Navy Base campus, comparing AM to a private institution is somewhat laughable. For those who have played Home Games at the Magnet, they know full well there is no "home field" and the team has moved around the county like wild geese using a variety of fields. It is a fact that AM is not restricted to district lines and draws students from all over the county, but the entrance qualifications offset the geographic base and are academic in nature, not athletic.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I can not speak to why AMHS was originally founded. All I can attest to is it one heck of a school with a VERY diverse student body. The soccer team has worked very hard this season and is excited for their first trip to State

C
Coach
Coach
C
Big compliments to the AMHS girls as the head into the championship game...they put a lot into their soccer performance and have earned their spot! They are one of two teams we have met this season who have clearly outplayed us on the field, and I'm grateful for their incentive to elevate our game! Congrats to Coach Merriman for taking up the torch in grand style!

I've got good news and bad news...
world cup
world cup
Video highlights of the Fort Mill - Greenville upperstate final:

(May 17 Sports Round Up)

http://www.cn2.com/web/guest/sports_videos

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
bench
bench
I
looks close as to if greenville goal crossed the goal line. Also, dont see the AR???

world cup
world cup
Video replay showed the ball clearly crossed the line, FM players and coaches never contested the goal. AR followed the ball all the way down and was right at the corner flag. He signaled "goal" immediately to the center ref.

Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard