Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
M
bench
bench
M
I can't speak for any of the other private schools in SC, but anyone who believes BE gives scholarships is being ignorant. Plain and simple. I played and started for BE from 2000-2003 and a large reason we were always so competitive is because the same group of guys had grown up together through the Catholic school system and participated on the same club teams since we were in middle school.

Yes, there are no 'zoning restrictions' that determine who can and can't attend the school, but don't sit there and think Coach Khouri (or whoever) is out recruiting kids to come play for BE.

M
bench
bench
M
And Brock...

Seeing that you're a high school coach in SC, I find it very unprofessional of you to come on this message board and bash players who can't control what division they play in. Like they have a say in that....

Pleeeaase.

S
throw in
throw in
S
If you look at the private school soccer rosters, you only find a handful of year round club players versus 4A schools where you have to play club soccer to make the team - especially in strong soccer club cities. At least on CC team, the majority of the team plays football in the fall, basketball in the winter and high school soccer in the spring. The goals in the upper state playoffs were made by the school's football quarterback, a college recruited football kicker, and one by a year round soccer player. They don't all have club soccer experience but are all excellent athletes and students. Maybe the key difference is the private schools can get good professional soccer coaches who know how to train and develop a good group of athletes to play soccer.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Mark,
I can assure you I am not ignorant--and two of my personal experiences come from competing against B.E. When I was at Summerville the year after we won state in 84(B.E.won it that same year) Dieter Beckmann(who helped out your first head coach Susan Arnold) approached me and told me he had become aware of a scholarship fund that was in place and that he was only giving me a "heads up" because he felt a couple of our players and parents were going to be approached.

When I was at Fort Dorchester in the mid 90's several of my players told me of a strong player(Brack Hahn)that lived 35 miles from B.E. and living in our district that openly talked of this.

Within a year, a family moved from Florida( very nice African American family--father was an officer in the Coast Guard and had been transferred to Charleston and they lived in our distict)requsted a tour of FDHS and athletic facilities. They had 2 sons who were supposed to be very good players.
A week later the parents came by to thank me for my time and to inform me the boys had been offered a scholarship(their words, not mine) to attend Pinewood.

These are the personal experiences I know of because I experienced them. I am again not out to bash these schools or their programs, just to state facts as I know them.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I don't think it is unprofessional. This is an open forum. I find it unfair for athletes in AA and A who cannot compete against a school like BE or CC. They never get a sniff of a state title.

It's like the coach from St. Joe's said, 'he would like more competition in the playoffs.'

When winning is so easy, it doesn't mean as much. That is what I feel bad about for both parties in this argument. I just want to see more competition. That's my case.

I have no more to say b/c the situation will never change.

Last edited by Brock Scott; 05/18/11 04:15 PM.

Chapin High School Boy's Varsity Soccer Assistant Coach South Carolina United FC Staff
B
brace
brace
B
The reality is, some private schools actively recruit (and scholarship) athletes. Years ago, when Porter-Gaud proactively sought to enhance the diversity of its student-body, it took the opportunity to recruit student-athletes into the fold. Pinewood also aggressively recruits and supports student-athletes.
It's a tad more complex at the Catholic schools, such as B.E. But please, PLEASE, don't portray the Bishops as Simon Pure. Their coaches are ALWAYS on the lookout, and word is that soccer players are "encouraged" to play their club soccer for DISA.
My solution for those who don't like the public/private crossover is simple: Either legislate a more equitable enrollment/affiliation formula, or get your local public school to improve its level of play.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

The following is the link to the article on the Lower State 1A champion: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/may/18/soccer-riptide-advance-state-final/

It is fantastic that they made it to the state finals in their first year of varsity soccer. They did this with 5 girls on the team - one being the starting goalie. Do they have much of a chance against Christ Church? I would think not, but it is quite an accomplishment to get there.

Also, I am sure a lot will recognize the name of their coach.

This is an incredible story. Congrats to the Riptide for making the state championship in their first year of varsity competition with a true co-ed team and no twelfth graders. I understand that there are no more than 2 players on the roster that even play club ball and that some of whom are either in their first year of organized soccer or haven't played since they played "micro ball." Kudos to Hayne Painter for the way he has coached up his kids. Hopefully, they will be able to acquit themselves nicely on Saturday against heavily, heavily favored Christ Church Episcopal.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Same private schools in the finals every year...

It's fairly obvious how insignificant these private school state championship victories mean to anyone, especially the private school players. When winning is so easy nothing holds a great degree of significance. Has to suck to win all those meaningless state championships. If I were golliath, i would pound david 9/10 times. Not like that feels good or anything.

I wonder if anyone at these private schools has thought about how much they rob their players of the chance to face real adversity. These players never have to feel worthy of anything. Christ Church, Bishop England, 8/10 years have way more talented teams than their public school counterparts (although either team mentioned would greatly struggle to win SCISA league).

Has to suck to be a player and know you don't have to work hard to win. If I were the coach of a team like that, i'd feel pathetic knowing I wasn't challenging myself and especially my players to our fullest potential. Some people like it the easy way, though. Very sad. Very sad.

Wow - where to begin. First, I don't think that Christ Church or Bishop England would "struggle" in SCISA. Yes, Cardinal Newman is nationally ranked this year and, yes, Pinewood has quite a streak going against BE (almost all of them have been won in PKs), but CCES and BE would be very competitive and very welcome in SCISA AAA.

Conversely, other posters on here try to denigrade Pinewood's SCISA championships with the constant refrain of "Why don't you play in the public school league?" First of all, its the High School League not the "public school league." There have always been private schools in the High School League. A number of SCISA members (Porter-Gaud, Heathwood Hall, Cardinal Newman and Ben Lippen for four) are former High School League members. Secondly, notwithstanding Christ Church and St Joseph's, Pinewood would find even less competition in SCHSL Single A (particularly now that AMHS has moved to AA). Now, if Pinewood and Porter-Gaud both went to SCHSL to play AA in everything except American football, that would be a completely different story. A region with AMHS, BE, Pinewood and Porter would be a natural (Pinewood and Porter could play with Military Magnet, Burke, St. John's and Baptist Hill in Single A football).

What I would really like to see is the top independent, parochial, Christian, magnet and charter schools all play in the same division (whether a division of SCHSL or of SCISA).

Here is what such a new division might look like:

Upstate Region: Christ Church, Greenville Tech Charter, St. Joseph's, Southside Christian and Spartanburg Day

Midlands Region: Ben Lippen, Camden Military, Cardinal Newman, Hammond, Heathwood Hall and Wilson Hall

Lowcountry Region: Academic Magnet, Ashley Hall, Bishop England, Pinewood and Porter-Gaud,

And perhaps a second Lowcountry Region: First Baptist, Hilton Head Christian, Hilton Head Prep and Northwood.

Bishop England would be the top dog in such a division in that its enrollment is more than twice that of Porter-Gaud (the next largest school) but so be it. I don't think you would hear any whining of "no fair" from the from rest of us. Sometimes, you just have to buck up and play harder.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Quote:

It's fairly obvious how insignificant these private school state championship victories mean to anyone, especially the private school players. When winning is so easy nothing holds a great degree of significance. Has to suck to win all those meaningless state championships. If I were golliath, i would pound david 9/10 times. Not like that feels good or anything.

I wonder if anyone at these private schools has thought about how much they rob their players of the chance to face real adversity. These players never have to feel worthy of anything. Christ Church, Bishop England, 8/10 years have way more talented teams than their public school counterparts (although either team mentioned would greatly struggle to win SCISA league).

Has to suck to be a player and know you don't have to work hard to win. If I were the coach of a team like that, i'd feel pathetic knowing I wasn't challenging myself and especially my players to our fullest potential. Some people like it the easy way, though. Very sad. Very sad.

Hate to continue the hijacking of this thread, but it appears Coach Scott has traded one "country club" school for another! Isn't this just sour grapes from the Emerald playing and coaching days? Always claiming to be the best "public school" (that had a lot more soccer resources than say Walhalla or Batesburg-Leesville) yet always losing to Bishop England in the Championship (I think y'all won it once or maybe twice). You can find out who is good in soccer (or supposed to be good) by checking out the annually produced Poverty Index. I bet most of those teams still playing hail from those more privileged schools. If those teams aren't winning then check to see who is in charge.

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
O
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
O
Hey oldskool, how is BE being more than twice the size of PG any different than AAAA teams? Over the last decade we were always one of the smallest AAAA schools yet had to compete with some that were 3,000+ and a lot with more than 2,500+.

Quote:

Quote:

Wow - where to begin. First, I don't think that Christ Church or Bishop England would "struggle" in SCISA. Yes, Cardinal Newman is nationally ranked this year and, yes, Pinewood has quite a streak going against BE (almost all of them have been won in PKs), but CCES and BE would be very competitive and very welcome in SCISA AAA.

Conversely, other posters on here try to denigrade Pinewood's SCISA championships with the constant refrain of "Why don't you play in the public school league?" First of all, its the High School League not the "public school league." There have always been private schools in the High School League. A number of SCISA members (Porter-Gaud, Heathwood Hall, Cardinal Newman and Ben Lippen for four) are former High School League members. Secondly, notwithstanding Christ Church and St Joseph's, Pinewood would find even less competition in SCHSL Single A (particularly now that AMHS has moved to AA). Now, if Pinewood and Porter-Gaud both went to SCHSL to play AA in everything except American football, that would be a completely different story. A region with AMHS, BE, Pinewood and Porter would be a natural (Pinewood and Porter could play with Military Magnet, Burke, St. John's and Baptist Hill in Single A football).

What I would really like to see is the top independent, parochial, Christian, magnet and charter schools all play in the same division (whether a division of SCHSL or of SCISA).

Here is what such a new division might look like:

Upstate Region: Christ Church, Greenville Tech Charter, St. Joseph's, Southside Christian and Spartanburg Day

Midlands Region: Ben Lippen, Camden Military, Cardinal Newman, Hammond, Heathwood Hall and Wilson Hall

Lowcountry Region: Academic Magnet, Ashley Hall, Bishop England, Pinewood and Porter-Gaud,

And perhaps a second Lowcountry Region: First Baptist, Hilton Head Christian, Hilton Head Prep and Northwood.

Bishop England would be the top dog in such a division in that its enrollment is more than twice that of Porter-Gaud (the next largest school) but so be it. I don't think you would hear any whining of "no fair" from the from rest of us. Sometimes, you just have to buck up and play harder.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard