Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Same private schools in the finals every year...

It's fairly obvious how insignificant these private school state championship victories mean to anyone, especially the private school players. When winning is so easy nothing holds a great degree of significance. Has to suck to win all those meaningless state championships. If I were golliath, i would pound david 9/10 times. Not like that feels good or anything.

I wonder if anyone at these private schools has thought about how much they rob their players of the chance to face real adversity. These players never have to feel worthy of anything. Christ Church, Bishop England, 8/10 years have way more talented teams than their public school counterparts (although either team mentioned would greatly struggle to win SCISA league).

Has to suck to be a player and know you don't have to work hard to win. If I were the coach of a team like that, i'd feel pathetic knowing I wasn't challenging myself and especially my players to our fullest potential. Some people like it the easy way, though. Very sad. Very sad.

Not that I don't totally disagree with your statement because I think it's quite unfair myself but, I must remind you that Chapin has more money behind every player than any other public school in the state. Nobody operates on an equal level in HS athletics. You either do less with more, more with less or par for the course. BE/CC making the State Championship is about par for the course. BE losing a State Championship to an overhead kick in Sudden-Death? Call it what you want, less with more, underachieving, etc. I call it awesome. I agree with you though. The SCISA league would become extremely interesting to follow with all private schools lumped into it. This year it was kind of a 1.5 horse race. Yeah, PP was in the thick of it but most people agreed CN was the class of SCISA without equal. The last 7 years it was the opposite in PP's favor. It would be a great league with CC/BE/St.J/SSC in it; at least for soccer.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Brock - Did you see the scores of the BE and CC games? BE had a tough game with AMHS (1-0)and CC had to go to overtime to win. Yes they are always in the finals (usually win), but they do not have cake walks to get there. Will they both win state championships again this Saturday? I would think both will be favored to do so.

When you look at the enrollments, BE is below 750 now (used to be in the mid 900's), and I think CC was in the mid 300's. Even if you used a multiplier for private schools (1.5 x enrollment), both would probably remain in their same classification. So, I am not sure what you want to see happen.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
The following is the link to the article on the Lower State 1A champion: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/may/18/soccer-riptide-advance-state-final/

It is fantastic that they made it to the state finals in their first year of varsity soccer. They did this with 5 girls on the team - one being the starting goalie. Do they have much of a chance against Christ Church? I would think not, but it is quite an accomplishment to get there.

Also, I am sure a lot will recognize the name of their coach.

W
goal
goal
W
Brock,

Just in from the British Bulldog I see.

So Chapin's two AA state titles are "meaningless" and the players didnt/dont value them?

Are state titles less important to Coach Savitz and Irmo because they play for them every year or so?

I think you are way off base here. I can tell you this, there are 27 players at CN that think their "lil state title" is VERY VERY significant. And trust me they do work hard.

A
Goal
Goal
A
I think all Coach Brock is saying is that private schools are able to offer scholarships to students that live in their general area. Enrollment has nothing to do with it.

That said, I have friends that coach many of these teams who are great people and excellent coaches which I am sure also extends to their parent base. I am just as sure these players and coaches work hard to achieve their goals.

Private schools can offer atmospheres and in some cases academic challenges hard to match at thier public school counterparts.

I am not trying to bash any of these schools or coaches--some fine teams and fine coaches, as mentioned above--but it is what it is.

If public schools(or their representatives) approach players outside of thier attendance area, the penalty the HSL can and does impose is the most severe they hand out--banishment of the program for a year or playoff banishment or both.

I think this is what frustrates Coach Brock.

Throw In
Throw In

We moved to the SCHSL to further the advancement of our entire atheletic program, not just soccer. That being said, I would love better competition in the playoffs. I fully support Coach Eudy joining the high school league. Frank would love it!

BK
St. Joseph's Assistant Coach

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Something to consider, I believe this is how North Carolina handles a private school playing under the NCHSL banner.
When a private school joins the HSL they must join at a classification higher. For example, the teams in discussion here CC & BE would automatically be classified as AA schools.
This part I'm not sure on, but I believe that once a private school wins a state championship, they then move up a classification. So at this point both CC & BE would be competing in AAAA for soccer.
Now I'm not sure how that would work. Would it be for just that specific sport, do all sports move up, are they permanently moved up, and is this only done when conferences are realigned? But I do feel that moving a private school up in classification is one way to make things extremely interesting as far as soccer is concerned! This may create the most "fair" and "level" playing field possible.

Coach Sharpless Blue Ridge High School
goal
goal
If you can't win upper or lower state championships with a area thats the riches in the state and a SUPER CLUB with plans to rule the universe, you might wanna step aside and let someone else take over or GET Better! These teams do in soccer but lets be honest soccer is the only Core Sport where this happens. I'll be d if Christ Church or Bishop England beat Bamberg-Ehrhardt, Scotts Branch, or North in football or basketball!

A SHARK ATE ME YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Will, you took my statement out of context. I know you and about your program. Your state title means A TON. You won it against other private schools.

*I'm referring to private schools who, for some reason or another, 80% of the time have way more talent than their opponents in A or AA public school soccer.

Chapin won their state titles in AA. Chapin can't control who attends Chapin. Chapin is a public school. The school is located in a nice area. Same with Irmo. Same with Wando.

And about Irmo. They actually have to struggle to win state titles year in and year out. That's not always the case down in AA and A. Sometimes the talent gap is too big to matter. People are going to bring up B-L last year. That was a fluke.

Anyhow, I wasn't at the British Bulldog. I hope you see my point. Not knocking your program at all.

Chapin High School Boy's Varsity Soccer Assistant Coach South Carolina United FC Staff
Corner Kick
Corner Kick

OHHHHH YEEEAHHHH!!!

Last edited by wakaflockamyers; 05/18/11 02:51 PM.
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard