Print Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
This is what the ex-coach of the SCUMP 95 girls team sent out to a select number of his old team. Its about the girls, let them go and get the training they need and quit making promises you can't keep.

Dear Parents & Players,

It is now time for tryouts and many parents have asked a number of questions related to next fall so I am going to make a couple of recommendations for consideration.

I would recommend trying out with SCUFC and CESA for the fall season. SCUFC will have Region 3 at U16 and U17. CESA will have Region 3 at U16, U17 and U18 for the fall. CESA may also have opportunities for the ECNL. Both clubs are now looking to provide more "local" training opportunities and I am sure they will convey their plans to you at tryouts.

The ECNL is changing its playing format in the fall to a Regional League program so if anyone is interested in playing ECNL they should ask the CESA rep at tryouts.

Some parents have asked where I will be next fall, this is still not finalized, however, I should know before the end of tryouts and I will send out an email to confirm ASAP.

Finally, a number of parents have asked about resurrecting SAA (Southern Academy Alliance) again and that is certainly an option. We would be in a position to offer local midweek training in all 3 locations, Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach with team practices on Saturday AM, most likely in Charleston.

At this stage it is an option and no more than that, in any event you should tryout for the Clubs I have recommended and see what transpires. If you want to consider the SAA option please let me know ASAP so I can determine overall interest.

At the end of tryouts you will all have a window of time to confirm which option you want to pursue so don't let anyone pressure you into a decision without due consideration of all the options.

Clearly the traditional State Leagues are now going to be diluted in terms of quality yet it remains the only route to Region 3 which the main clubs will also seek at State Cup.

The SAA program would participate in the minimum number of challenge league games but its emphasis will be directed towards practice, higher level tournaments and two or three weekend Round Robin scrimmage games against good quality teams in preparation for State Cup and its own Region 3 opportunity.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards

Michael Townsend

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Based on our experience there last year I think the recommendations in there were an excellent idea. I think the vast majority are gonna follow them recommendations. Thanks for posting this and helping to validate my decision.

C
Goal
Goal
C
I guess from that email he was not asked to return to SCU/MP next season.

M
bench
bench
M
Sorry to hear SCUMP lost such a good coach and nice person.

D
Goal
Goal
D
If CESA was to pull out of R3PLE to play ECNL region schedule to avoid conflicts between the two leagues schedules (just speculation), would that allow SCUFC and SCUMP teams both in each age group but one to play R3PLE? If CESA pulls out will the 3rd place teams from state cup apply?

Would that help the Lowcountry with additional access to higher levels of competition?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I would think so, but that's a pretty big IF. In the past, the 3rd place team from SC (or any state) has only gotten in as a wild card with an impressive enough resume'. The 3rd and 4th best GA teams have always been good enough. FL and NC usually have a strong enough 3rd place team to make a case. In SC, it has been a little harder to make the case for the 3rd place team.

D
Goal
Goal
D
not necessarily if the one of the top 2 teams drops out. isn't that why they play the consolation game, to find out who goes if one drops? I agree as a third of three teams to play from SC acceptence may be difficult, but even as 3rd place team they'd go in as one of only two teams from the state. just wondering.

D
Goal
Goal
D
hmmmm, thinking further, and if both of the scu teams played r3ple, both would enter state cup with a season of r3ple experience and as the #1 and #2 seeds, right?

world cup
world cup
I don't know if CESA is in a hurry to give up those R3PL spots yet.

If ManU can successfully battle on two fronts.....why can't CESA?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Wonder what magic can be made to happend with 51% of R3PL? how many were on team roster last season say for arguement sake 16 then 9 have to return, right.

So what is max roster for R3pl 18,20,22??? say 18 (for low ball). Now with 9 "old" and 9 new players you have full roster but what if ony 5 of them play R3PL for a team of 14 in R3PL that can be reinforced when necessary but the other 4 girls play ECNL along with other 5 from last year so they have 9 full time ECNL player (oh the other 5 (playing R3PL)can be rostered for when conflicts do not exist and add a few new players to the mix and you get a 20ish ECNL roster and the ability to take 14-16 girls to each game.

This of course gets much easier as the roster a=size allowed by R3PL goes up, if they can have a roster of 20 or 22 (or if they had 20 players last year) then it will be very easy to setup, now making it work and the parents buy off well.....

Only has to be done for one season and if they win they hold the spot and can cycle in more players using same stratgery!

D
Goal
Goal
D
(max usysa roster is 18 except for u-18, ECNL max is 26all/18game).

Just thinking there could be an opportunity for more players around the state to participate and gain experience in region level leagues with 3 teams in rather than 2. You know, 45-50 SC players at that level gaining experience rather than 30-35. Of course, all of those spots aren't filled necessarily with SC players. (Never understood how pulling from out of state in to top level SC teams was supposed to support growth of the game and development of players in SC, but whatever.)

Hope it works out in a way that the players from the Lowcountry (well, some of them are already in r3ple next year) don't feel the need to leave the area to get the experience. However, I'm sure someone can come up with a way to reduce the available opportunities in SC for higher level play down even further to about 15-20 players per age, pull half from out of state, do it all in the name of progress and sell it as player development.

Good luck especially to the team mentioned above in finding a solution that best serves the players.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I'm trying to picture any Greenville based organization taking a phone call from a potential customer and telling that potential customer "you're not welcomed to partake of our services because you live in Asheville, or Gastonia, or Atlanta. We only offer our services to customers who live in SC." I'm sure there are some, I just don't know who they are.

I'm also thinking about looking at all SC clubs mission statements and see where it says that the goal is to "support growth of the game and development of players in SC " Again, I'm sure there are some, but I don't think that they are any of the big 3. I also doubt that CSA is turning away any non-NC players. I'm sure that CASL welcomes kids from VA with open arms.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Back to the point, what's wrong with Lowcountry soccer? Furthermore, who said there was anything wrong? I mean, I know that coach did, but anyone else?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
When you are accepting Greenville County generated tax dollars, and your facilites are technically Greenville County parks, you should take care of your Greenville County customers first.

And it's not always someone from another city/region contacting CESA, it also occurs the other way, as in recruiting.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I'm not aware of the ownership status of the parks. I know some of them are rented, some of them were in existence before the county got involved, and some are partly club owned and partly county owned. Do you know the details of the arrangement between CESA and GCRD?

I also don't know how many tax dollars have been accepted. But I'll bet it's less than the amount of tax dollars generated in Greenville County over the years at the hotels, restaraunts, gas stations, malls, hospitals (unfortunately) etc. in Greenville by people visiting for soccer from outside of Greenville.

Do you know the amounts?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Also, as a Greenville County customer, I feel I've been very well taken care of.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
I believe MESA and Wenwood are now Greenville County Parks (at least that's what the signs say) after CESA received $1.5 million in Greenville County based restaurant tax money which I believe is 2%.

Please correct me if you have other data.

goal kick
goal kick
There are definately alot of very good soccer players from the low country.Many of the young ladies my daughter grew up with were also 'ATHLETES'.They played several sports growing up,so that made it difficult for the kids that only concentrated on year round soccer.At times only 5-6 players would show up for soccer practice,while others would be at basketball,track,etc..Which personally,I think is great that the parent gives that option to their child.I always felt there was too much head butting between the haves and the have-nots,instead of doing whats right for the kids!!Mic is one person that ALWAYS was concerned about the kids!!Its too bad the parents cant get on the same page.Until then the talent from the low country will still get spread out thru the carolinas and georgia.

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Back to the point, what's wrong with Lowcountry soccer? Furthermore, who said there was anything wrong? I mean, I know that coach did, but anyone else?

exactly, any parents/coaches in the know want to answer this, i don't even know what the issues are but it seems like this thread is seriously off track

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Don't really matter if he was asked or not to come back he is and always has looked out for the best playing opportunities for his players. That is what a coach should do not keep a player somewhere they do not need to be.

S
goal
goal
S
so what are the promises not kept & why is he recommending not returning to play for scump?

what are the issues?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I believe MESA and Wenwood are now Greenville County Parks (at least that's what the signs say) after CESA received $1.5 million in Greenville County based restaurant tax money which I believe is 2%.

Please correct me if you have other data.

I don't know if what you posted is correct. However, here's the other data that I have. I can't believe I spent time doing this today.

Last weekend, CESA hosted the Adidas Festival. All games were held at MESA. There were 170 teams. 133 teams from outside of Greenville. (I counted off the website schedules. Ridiculous huh?) They came from GA and NC. Mostly Atlanta, Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. Let's do some very conservative estimating.

These were all academy teams so the roster would be small.

Let's say that the teams only spent 1 night in a hotel. Most probably spent 2, but we'll say just 1. Let's say that there were 9 rooms per team. Let's also say that a room costs $80.

133 teams x 9 per team x $80 = $95,760

Let's say that these 9 players per team got a tank of gas in town. Let's say a tank of gas costs $40 (laughable)

133 teams x 9 per team x $40 = $47,880

Let's say that each player (parents not included) ate a meal in town. Let's say the meal costs $10. (laughable again)

$11,970

So, based on these ridiculously low estimates, $155,610 were earned in GA and NC and were spent in Greenville County this weekend alone.

This was for a 170 team tournament. CESA does 3 others in the year that are well over 200 teams. One gets close to 300 teams.

Also, 133 teams means 66 games at a time. Each getting 3 games means 198 games. Another extremely low estimate would say that a referee earns $15 for a game. Almost all of the referees at MESA at Greenville kids. So that would be $2,970 earned by Greenville kids paid for by GA and NC.

I haven't put in what kids bought while visiting the mall or the handful of x-rays that were probably taken this weekend.

In terms of economic impact, I think they'll reach that $1.5 million real quick.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I can't believe you spent time doing this today either.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I know it is hard to not make everything about CESA but really what does this have to do with original post. Please start a CESA categorie to post random musings not related topic. And yes Mike is a nice man but that sometimes is part of the problem.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I agree. Has anyone from that team been given any information as to who may be assigned as the next coach? May turn out to be as good or better. I don't know the situation there (or where the coach is headed), but the letter reads like one of a disgruntled salesman going to a new company telling customers they may want to consider following. Not trying to be unfair to the coach, but it sure reads that way to me. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This group will be playing U16 this fall..Should you really be starting over?
What if next season does not work out? U17 where?
I am with you Delta..Sounds just short of recruiting..
Anyone ask the girls want they want to do? Seems like the most important question to me..
Seems like there is only two parents sounding off from this team..Lowcountry soccer is better now than years past with a majority of strong players within one club..

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
How can it sound like a salesman when he is giving out the only two clubs in SC that offer a higher level of play than any other club. There is no way that both those clubs will hire him at the same time. He is not saying I am going to either of those clubs at all. That is what a real coach does when a player needs to be playing at a higher level and where that player is cannot offer it.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Scumpy please explain the beginning of your post promises were made and not kept? You post is letter as if Michael Townsend is the problem is that what you are saying?

Last edited by RMJ; 05/13/11 12:23 AM.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I know, I really can't either. But I still don't think it was as big of a waste of time as posting about a coach I don't know leaving a club my child has never been a part of as she ages out of club soccer.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

How can it sound like a salesman when he is giving out the only two clubs in SC that offer a higher level of play than any other club. There is no way that both those clubs will hire him at the same time. He is not saying I am going to either of those clubs at all. That is what a real coach does when a player needs to be playing at a higher level and where that player is cannot offer it.

First, SCUMP offers just as high a level of play as the other two clubs mentioned as they already have teams in R3PLE as well as participate in major tournaments such as CASL and Disney.

Second, (my speculation/question) if the ECNL team in that group pulled out of R3PLE then even that SCUMP team would probably be able to play R3PLE next year as one of two teams from the state in the U-16 age group... would they apply?

And third, it doesn't sound as if a letter like that had been received by that team's parents before. If the coach was truly concerned about the level the team was playing to the point of advising the players to try other clubs, did he ever offer that advice before a decision was made that he would no longer coach that team? If so, well maybe that's why he won't be coaching there anymore, but if not... will be interesting to see where he lands. I think he suggested two clubs specifically and assured the parents he would let them know where he would land before tryouts were over?

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Quote:

I know, I really can't either. But I still don't think it was as big of a waste of time as posting about a coach I don't know leaving a club my child has never been a part of as she ages out of club soccer.

Sorry, Harry, but my daughter has teammates from all over the state, some of whom will still be playing for SCUMP next year. Both she and I have friends there we care about, perhaps you should try to get out more often.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
If I got out more often, I'd know you had friends in the MP area? Really? Who are her teammates that will still be playing for SCUMP next year? Wasn't she a U-18 this year in Greenville? If you want, you could pm me. Afterall, we're now engaged in a childish argument in a Lowcountry Soccer thread.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Yes but SCUMP does not offer R3PLE at all age groups so therefore everyone does not have that chance to play a higher level of play. The challenge league in SC for the girls as they get older is not that competitive either. I mean one team had a shut out for league play. So SCUMP cannot offer R3PLE to every player that is at that level of play. SCUMP cannot offer ECNL either.
AS for the R3 ticket from CESA not happening they are not giving up that. They will play R3 and ECNL.
Yes SCUMP did go to Disney and CASL with one age group but that is not every weekend competitive play. As for CASL they are starting to make that tourney a ECNL one therefore a lot of teams in the past years did not get accepted and less and less will be accept in the future if they are not an ECNL team.
All in all it should not matter what he coach says if the player wants a higher level but if the coach is wanting that for the player too that is even better.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I think SCUMP does offer R3PLE at each level to every team that qualifies, same as the other two clubs. That team had a 1 goal loss to CESA or they would already be in R3PLE next year. Had they been in the other bracket maybe they would be headed to R3PLE next year instead of one of the teams the coach suggested they try out for... SCUFC. Maybe a coaching change is just what that team really needs to get them to the level they want to play. Or, some of the players can run up to SCUFC, get knocked out at the next cup by SCUMP and see if they can run back.

As for the R3 lock, one of CESA's teams may not qualify for next year's R3PLE. Have to wait for Spring Cup results? If they don't get in I guess they can still play ECNL (says a lot there). I don't doubt what you say about CASL Shootout, but I don't see it on next year's ECNL events, and Disney already kicked ECNL out, thus Sanford.

I agree that a coach should be aware of and support the ambitions of players capable of playing at higher levels than a club can currently offer, but it doesn't sound like the coach was advising the players to tryout elsewhere until after he himself was leaving.

SCUMPY, sorry if I distracted your thread by trying to offer some possible alternatives and find out why someone was painting such a gloom and doom picture of the state of youth soccer in the Lowcountry.

I'll leave now, and maybe ColdHardTruth can fill me in on how it all turns out.

Oh, one more thing...
Quote:

If I got out more often, I'd know you had friends in the MP area?

I meant if you try to get out more often, you too could have some friends outside CESA.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 05/13/11 04:01 AM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Food for thought...If the coach was staying...would the letter read the same way..

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

\

Oh, one more thing...
Quote:

If I got out more often, I'd know you had friends in the MP area?

I meant if you try to get out more often, you too could have some friends outside CESA.

I have lots of friends outside of CESA, thanks. It's funny though, you get a real clear sense of who somebody is when they don't know it's you they are talking to. Once upon a time, I would have considered you someone as a little more than an acquaintence, almost a friend.

Now, you make personal comments and can't answer a simple question. You're sounding more and more like another poster on here. I won't mention the name, but he gets himself into quite a bit of 'trouble' on here and in life with his comments. You've always seemed like a very intelliegent person and I would think you would NEVER want to be compared to the likes of this particular poster. I've always had a relatively high impression of you, but reading your stuff here over the last year has been disappointing.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Of course, that all could have been said in a pm, but you never messaged me. Why not?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Harry, I agree, from an economic impact standpoint the Tournaments and events at MESA and Wenwood are wonderful for the area.

But if you look at the $1.5 million given to CESA to finish it's fields and probably pay some other bills, at a 2% Hospitality Tax rate on let's say 4000 hotel rooms filled up 8 nights a year at $80 per room, that generates $51, 200 dollars in Hospitality Tax revenue, so it will take the county over 29 years to get it's money back.

I don't mind that, because of all the other revenue generated such as hotel rooms rented, gas purchased, shopping and dining...

But what I do mind is CESA cutting local players to take an out-of-towner who is only as good and sometimes an even worse player so that they can "raid" the other Clubs and show everybody how "great they are". I have witnessed this many times over and heard from others about this same thing on many other teams. We were on a CESA State Championship Premier team one year, the next season the Coach cut 2 starters, replaced them with out-of-towners, moved the 2 former starters to the Challenge team, guess what? The next 3 years, NO State Championship.

So, if they are accepting Greenville County money, they ought to take care of Greenville County kids first!

world cup
world cup
I think there's a couple of guys on here who need to sit down and share a couple of beers.....get reacquainted. Come on.....we're talking about girls soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

But what I do mind is CESA cutting local players to take an out-of-towner who is only as good and sometimes an even worse player so that they can "raid" the other Clubs and show everybody how "great they are". I have witnessed this many times over and heard from others about this same thing on many other teams. We were on a CESA State Championship Premier team one year, the next season the Coach cut 2 starters, replaced them with out-of-towners, moved the 2 former starters to the Challenge team, guess what? The next 3 years, NO State Championship.

So, if they are accepting Greenville County money, they ought to take care of Greenville County kids first!

I think what you're describing ia unfortunate. But I think it also sounds like a coaching choice being described as club policy. I would be shocked to find out that it was policy to 'raid the other clubs' rather than giving the coach the ability to select whomever they think are the best players.

I'm trying to think of the age groups that have lost 3 straight state cups. It has to be the 92s. If I remember correctly, they lost to a CESA team in one final, 8 or 9 penalties in the next final and overtime in the next final before winning the last 2 by a goal, one of those in overtime. That team has been as good as any other in the state and has competed well in Region 3. If state cup victories is the measure of success (it shouldn't be), then I think CESA policy (whatever it is) needs no changing right now.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Has a coach been named as a replacement?

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I think there's a couple of guys on here who need to sit down and share a couple of beers.....get reacquainted. Come on.....we're talking about girls soccer.

Well said! The only down side to acting like grown-ups is that it may end this entertaining drama.

To quote Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

B
brace
brace
B
There's nothing particularly better or worse about Lowcountry soccer than that of any other region in the state. Bottom line: The clubs are in it for $$$, not kids; many parents think their kids are great because that's what club coaches have said while recruiting them; and those same kids have wildly inflated egos.
(And that ain't sour grapes, because mine has played at every competitive level available, staying loyal to one club through thick and thin, while others have bounced around like rubber balls.)

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I hear Ya WitDaBackOut17! Your right on it with this one

W
goal
goal
W
Not true, Kian and Matt are in it for the kids. I cant speak for any others but those two are doing it for the right reasons point blank. and if you think otherwise you just have you head in the sand down there on the coast!

B
brace
brace
B
Good point, Will.
They are the exceptions that prove the rule. I'm sure there are others, yourself included.
That said, when clubs AGGRESSIVELY recruit kids and parents, selling them "exposure" as opposed to development ...
You get threads like this.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

There's nothing particularly better or worse about Lowcountry soccer than that of any other region in the state. Bottom line: The clubs are in it for $$$, not kids; many parents think their kids are great because that's what club coaches have said while recruiting them; and those same kids have wildly inflated egos.
(And that ain't sour grapes, because mine has played at every competitive level available, staying loyal to one club through thick and thin, while others have bounced around like rubber balls.)

Congratulations to you for staying with one Club and being loyal to it.

These players and families that leave a Club after many years (I will assume most families and players start their soccer careers at their local Club) are teaching their kids one lesson I do not think they realize. "It's all about me".

They turn their backs on their former teammates to go play for another Club, most times in another city.

Of course those that leave their hometown Club do get to enjoy a lot of Interstate time. Wow, that must be fun.

W
goal
goal
W
Agreed backscreen. But if you are developing talent/players wouldnt the exposure coincide?

L
bench
bench
L
Getting back to the letter. Coach is clearly recruiting. Can he develop players?

corner kick
corner kick
Looks to me like he suggested three options. So if it's so clear, who is he recruiting for exactly?

corner kick
corner kick
And to answer your question, Yes he can develop players.

L
bench
bench
L
Himself-but you knew that-he's just trying to do it in a diplomatic way. Question is -Can he develop players "Sconners" or just pray enough disgruntled players are around for rebirth of old teams?

corner kick
corner kick
My answer remains the same. Look at the success of the girls program at Hilton Head High. He has trained the majority of that team from a young age. Granted he is not soley responsible for their success but he clearly knows what he is doing "lowerstatesoccer."

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Quote:

Looks to me like he suggested three options. So if it's so clear, who is he recruiting for exactly?

Thank You for making that point I have been trying myself.

And also the point he can develop players because like you said yes he can. He is one of the best coaches out there.

L
bench
bench
L
Why was he let go from SCU/Mount Pleasant if he was such a great coach? Wouldn't they try to retain the quality coaches? The HHI Girls owe him a big hand for creating such a great High School team!!

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Who said he was let go anyway from SCUMP?

corner kick
corner kick
I do not see where he was let go. I notice from SCUMP's website that Curtis Freeman who is another excellent coach from the Myrtle Beach area, and has worked closely with Mike over the years, is no longer listed as coach. Both of these men are fine coaches and have both at one time or another directed their own clubs. For what it's worth I believe that for whatever reason they were not satisfied with the direction in which they, or the club, were headed and have decided that they no longer want to continue to do business together.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
I did not think he was let go and yet people are just assuming he was. I did not think he was let go.

B
brace
brace
B
Will: Guess my point is, developing players should always be the priority -- and at some places, it is. But when a club/coach recruits my kid based on "exposure" and the opportunity to win a State Cup, or play in R3PL, or ECNL, etc. -- or when parents fall for that nonsense -- the priorities get wildly skewed. With all the opportunities kids in our state have for "exposure," highest-possible level of competition, "the best training," etc., you'd think we could field our own U20 World Cup team!
Now, I'm not sure what prompted the letter at the beginning of this thread, or why it was posted. Frankly, it feels/reads like a disgruntled former employee, as much as a field guide to training opportunities. And that would be sad.
Still, my point remains, fundamentally, that, letter or not, soccer in the Lowcountry is about the same as everywhere else in our state. It's as good or as bad as we allow it to be.

S
goal
goal
S
chalk it up to typical turnover post merger.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I would like to start out again by saying Mike is a nice guy but for him to have stayed a coach in the situations he has had in the past it was paramount. If he coaches this season it will be the 4th team in 4 years at 4 different clubs. At SAA he pulled disgruntled players from Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. At BFA he attracted disgruntled players from Charleston to add to that core group. When BFA was absorbed by SCUMP he was retained as part of the agreement with the club. The current 95 girls coach stepped aside to ensure the maximum participation and not have any players leave because their coach was not in charge. A number of parents demanded he be the coach or they would not participate. #1 mistake by SCUMP(Could you imagine that happening at CESA)

The way these past players have stayed together is actually shown in the letter. In no instance do you see any mention of training or skills building. His skills building ended about u-11 or u-12. There is nothing wrong with that but must realize limits to which we are not stunting development. The emphasis is on region 3 and ecnl and tournaments because the KOOL AID is that I can get you to a D1 school and a scholarship. The success of HHI is great this season but if that is what you are basing Mike's success on you are sadly delusional. These girls are great kids but percentage wise those that will go to college on a soccer scholarship is so small that the better option would be for Mike to do would be to offer tutoring after school, he would have a greater chance in getting them a scholarship than the promise of a soccer one.

The team Mike was handed at SCUMP was 3rd at State Cup the previous season and then added 7 college bound players from his team. This team should have been undefeated in league play but lost to 2 96 teams. Where did they finish in State Cup? Same as they did the previous season 3rd.

The Kool Aid is very strong. This select group of girls has really never had to tryout anywhere. They move as a group with Mike from place to place and are taken as a package and that is why they stick together. The letter is sent not to that core group but that disgruntled player that they tell is great and could go to college if they stick with them. They pick up one each move. The whole scam is not done as a way of caring for the age group as a whole but the selfish interests of a few and a coach that should start over where he is actually needed at the lower age groups. As it was mentioned in an earlier post why did he not recommend these higher level teams before he became the SCUMP coach. It is to actually help a select few and use those that drank the Kool Aid help him do so, and those are actually the saddest ones, as they will ultimately be used in the end.

He knows that he cannot train the girls to the next level and that is why he is no longer the coach at SCUMP. A accent with a D license can get you only so far in the elite level. The biggest issue is for the Columbia team is that he is coming as a package and may displace someone whom has been a longtime player.

I would like to emphasize my point again about Mike being a nice man. If you are one of the chosen ones.

You can miss practice for a month but still play.

You can not pay your team dues but still play.

You can not attend your satellite practice and still play

You can give the coach a "talk to the hand gesture during the game" and still play

You can drop the F-Bomb on your coach and still play

If one of these were my child I would say Mike is a nice man as well.

I do not know if I answered the question on promises but I do know I did not change the mind of any Kool Aid drinkers out there but I tried.

This is what is wrong in the lowcountry whether Mike or any coach deceives any player to follow them as a group. He is a smart old dude who will be around long after this blows over just hope another group is not set back again

B
brace
brace
B
My point again being, there are similar tales of woe all over youth soccer. The lowcountry is hardly unique.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
SCUMPY sounds like to me that you do not know what you are talking about and your kid must have been the one on the bench...that is the only reason a person would sound this way and say what they did. boo hoo hoo
Obviously you were not the parent who received the letter land that has made you mad too. Only a parent like that would get a hold of an email and post something like that anyway.
So to make yourself feel better you go and try and degrade someone else when it is you that has the problem.

Last edited by RMJ; 05/13/11 06:20 PM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Backscreen, you could take SCUMPY's last post and it would apply to a small group out of the Upstate .. 3 organizations in three years; USA, CESA-Spartanburg and now US Club Soccer I believe.

S
goal
goal
S
where do these guys work that allows them to move around for soccer that much?

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
You also have your story incorrect the players that have been with Mick are the ones who really help pull the team through. Not saying everyone who has joined them is a bad player either.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
You must have tasted the Jim Jones version of the Kool Aid. Please carefully go through my post and correct me where you think that I am incorrect. You do not need to be a parent of a child on the team to know these facts. Yes I do believe these actions do occur in other areas but I do not believe that makes them acceptable. RMJ thank you for illustrating my point with you very well thought out and articluated response. Maybe next time "I'm rubber and your'e glue" would be easier.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
They were already third in the state so you will have to explain again how they improved the team's performance. Please don't have another drink, you really don't know what's in that stuff.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
OH SCUMPY I know exacty what is in the Kool Aid and it tastes really good...Mick makes the best Kool Aid I have ever tasted. You are the one going around bashing people.

S
goal
goal
S
so i guess there will be player openings for scump u16g?
how many teams did scump 95g field last fall?

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Still no intelligent response. I have given examples you cannot disprove and you immediately go to attacking a player as being a bench warmer thinking it may be my daughter and then me personally. I expected that response as you know that I am right and you cannot disprove the facts. I commend you for sticking to your guns no matter how empty they may be. Maybe "sticks and stones" next time.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
2 teams last season
think they are waiting for turnout at tryouts to see what can be formed.
coaches for age groups posted on website

L
bench
bench
L
Sounds to me like SCUMPY struck a nerve~3 teams in 3 years with 3 different clubs with no results!! Whoever is following this man from club to club should do their children a favor and offer them some stability with a club and a team. Seems SCUMPY you have WON. Whatever club takes him with his track record would be crazy-and new parents joining him-beware of the kool aide.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Scumpy hello reread your last post how many players did you put down? So where are the sticks and stones? I guess you think you can attack multiple players and no one can say anything about your child...hum

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Apparently you do not know all the facts and again any club would be lucky to have what Mick brings to the table. Funny thing is there are other Scump coaches who have done this at the same time Mick did and have been at the same clubs....why are their names not mentioned?

Last edited by RMJ; 05/13/11 07:45 PM.
S
goal
goal
S
i have actually heard all scumpys bullet points from others about that fractured dysfunctional team pre merger...just my 2 cents..which is why this thread was of interest.

Last edited by sandman; 05/13/11 07:47 PM.
R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
So everybody on that team has said this or juat a select few?

S
goal
goal
S
like scumpy said, i'm sure some are happy, some not, just like every team, but i have heard those points made from others, which was disturbing

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
A select few and it is disturbing you need to get.the facts from everyone involved.

S
goal
goal
S
facts are an elusive moving target in yth sports imo.

& again, its just my 2 cents from what i heard from a few, a yr+ ago.. before merger... apply grain of salt here.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sounds like he wants a handful to move to where ever he lands with the players he brought in...Problem is the stronger clubs are going to want only a handful and the rest will find themselves in the same boat..just somewhere else..If you want to be on the best team...Tryout for the best team..As far as the club offering competitive play..My daughter had no problem playing several years of region ball and high end tournaments..This is not a what's wrong with lowcountry or SCUMP soccer..It's what's wrong with a particular team soccer..

P
bench
bench
P
Actually SCUMP fielded 3 U15G (rising U16G) teams last fall- 2 challnge and 1 classic- albeit one challenge team had only 13 girls rostered for much of the season.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I really apologize for being sarcastic about the players, the truth is that they perform very well when they are not under his supervision.

U
bench
bench
U
it seems this mic/michael guy has a few followers. i have been around soccer long enough to know there are a lot of ignorant parents out there. as SCUMPY says - beware of the kool aid. seems strange to me at the very onset y'all mentioned his email was sent to a select few on his team. (but not ALL members of his team..?) it also seems strange that he certainly seems to have (and play) favorites. if anyone knows anything about coaching, those two combinations are B-A-D bad for team cohesiveness. he brought these girls from another team and, it seems, through the kool aid, got SCUMP to allow him to coach an Elite team. seems SCUMP can also be to blame for choosing a coach of his caliber to coach a team that should have easily been #1 in their group. wait - is this the same story i've heard floating around that this mic/michael character brings only 1/4-1/2 of his SCUMP team to tourneys using both a ton of guest players and the SCUMP 95 Elite name? i see the light now. what a sorry excuse for a man to call himself "Coach". shame on him.

U
bench
bench
U
and i might add, i've heard he brings the girls to higher end tourneys, places them in the lowest brackets and tells the parents this is a great opportunity. i wonder if these parents buy their Kool Aid at Harris Teeter, cause it's EXPENSIVE there!!! Drink up.

S
goal
goal
S
regarding the tourny accusation of 1/4 to 1/2 regular team players.....
tournys only allow so many guests, usually up to 4, but pool club players don't count as guests, so who knows...just want to keep this fair.

there is no team that would survive a season with 25-50% traveling to tournys

Last edited by sandman; 05/13/11 10:30 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
No bashing here..do not know enough about the situation..
My daughter played five years with a core group of players that were BFA/Coastal and SCUMP during that time the group stayed pretty much the same and we had three different coaches and I think the same could be said for the 92s at CESA..A core group that stayed together with different coaches between the two..Total was four championships and at least five runnerups..This was from U14 up..
Get the picture..It's not the coach but the core group that sticks together..I would hate to see these kids and parents shaking their heads after u18 and wonder what went wrong..

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Girls are rostered through US CLUB, $25 and a signature will get you almost on the National Team.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

As for the R3 lock, one of CESA's teams may not qualify for next year's R3PLE. Have to wait for Spring Cup results? If they don't get in I guess they can still play ECNL (says a lot there).

It actually does say a lot. I think it says that in order to get accepted into ECNL a club must demonstrate a history of quality teams in every age group and a solid club structure. In order to get into R3PLE, you have to win a state cup semifinal. I think we've seen that in those games anything can happen. How many CESA challenge teams have gotten in instead of 'Elite' teams from other clubs around the state. Does that mean they were better teams, or they were really good that weekend?

If for some reason the 96 SCUMP team loses tomorrow, does that say a whole lot about the quality of that team or it's players? Or does it say that either they had a bad day or whoever they are playing had a great day? Would you look at thier history over the course of this year, or just on that day? I like to look at the full history. I would still call them a very good team.

So, if 96 CESA should happen to lose tomorrow, I'll still call them a good team with good players. They'll still play ECNL and should successfully lobby to play R3PLE like they did this year.

C
throw in
throw in
C
What does a CESA 96 team have to do with a 95 age roup issue? No wait do not answer that on this post. How about starting a post on making excuses before the game is played.

R
rpl Offline
bench
bench
R

The problem with these message boards is that uninformed people type as if they know what they are talking about, then others add in and the whole thing gets to be a mess. 

As for Michael T, he has developed our players and has always suggested that we look at other options to make sure we are informed and know the options fist hand. He is one of the few coaches that truly encourages this because he is not afraid of losing anyone and does not want to hold anyone back if they could play at a higher level. 

And as for him being with 3 clubs in 3 years... He got R3 with a u13 team that was half u12 (SAA Elite- his own club). Split the group to proper age for R3 and began to grow both teams. BFA was reorganizing and brought him in. Then a further step to include Mt. Pleasant, but may not have been a great move. 

When SCUMP wanted to form Spring teams for tournaments, they chose lower level tournaments and offered mixed age group and opened it to Classic players as well. It seemed to be a money maker for SCUMP. Mick chose some of his better players and added some guest for some higher level competition. They have done quite well in these and it shows that Mick knows how to get his players "exposure."

I think SCUMPY is a disgruntled parent of a kid not invited, but somehow got the email that started this chain. The truth of that email is that Mick has been asked by a majority of his players what to do and as usual, he has advised them to look at all good options and make a decision. SCUMP was not listed because it is not a good option.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Quote:

The problem with these message boards is that uninformed people type as if they know what they are talking about, then others add in and the whole thing gets to be a mess. 

As for Michael T, he has developed our players and has always suggested that we look at other options to make sure we are informed and know the options fist hand. He is one of the few coaches that truly encourages this because he is not afraid of losing anyone and does not want to hold anyone back if they could play at a higher level. 

And as for him being with 3 clubs in 3 years... He got R3 with a u13 team that was half u12 (SAA Elite- his own club). Split the group to proper age for R3 and began to grow both teams. BFA was reorganizing and brought him in. Then a further step to include Mt. Pleasant, but may not have been a great move. 

When SCUMP wanted to form Spring teams for tournaments, they chose lower level tournaments and offered mixed age group and opened it to Classic players as well. It seemed to be a money maker for SCUMP. Mick chose some of his better players and added some guest for some higher level competition. They have done quite well in these and it shows that Mick knows how to get his players "exposure."

I think SCUMPY is a disgruntled parent of a kid not invited, but somehow got the email that started this chain. The truth of that email is that Mick has been asked by a majority of his players what to do and as usual, he has advised them to look at all good options and make a decision. SCUMP was not listed because it is not a good option.

Clap Clap Clap...Standing ovation...Thanks for putting it in these words and it is all 100% TRUE!!!

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Quote:

Quote:

Clap Clap Clap...Standing ovation...Thanks for putting it in these words and it is all 100% TRUE!!!

OMG!!!!!
Another one has awoke from a Kool Aid induced coma.

Why is SCUMP not a good option? You did not seem to mind last year when:

You got free uniforms.

Some got Scholarship

The MT P Parents supported the team by paying the tournament fees and required hotel costs that allowed you to stay in cheaper hotels.

You got to have your coach at your request.

You got fields to train.( you did not have to worry about getting kicked out of a parking lot somewhere)

If Mike T was concerned about all of his players then why has the letters gone out to so few?

Where is the letter from last season recommending trying out at CESA and Columbia to play Region 3?

No offense but the players got no better with the training Mike provided last season so why are better teams needed now?

If Mike T was concerned about all of his players then why did he have dinner at a tournament with only the members he brought to the team and then proceed to trash the players who were not present? Thanks to the girls at the dinner who had more class than the rest and texted their team mates as to what was happening.

Think you need to check with girls from the 94 age group as to why they are no longer playing with Mike.

Congrats on the U-13 R3 team. How is that working out? Is that the team the players who had not played all year long showed up just in time to play state cup? HMMMMM

How about that awesome exposure from the tournaments? You do realize that coaches can't talk to freshman. The only time a college coach is going to look at the filler level games is if he trips and falls at your field while he is running to the restroom from the upper level games.

The reason for all the invites and guest players is that he cannot develop but he can recruit players. That is why you think he selected the best players. That is why parents, as you stated, asked what to do because they cannot think for themselves. The Kool Aid is strong with this group. Just Say No To Drugs. Crack is Whack. I will even give you your comeback(I know the Kool Aid Daze is still in effect)that will be more logical than the one you will spew."I'm rubber you're glue"

I forgot to add don't look at any other post so you can concentrate on the many statements I have made in these posts. Please show me one statement that is not true. I just ask for one.

Last edited by SCUMPY; 05/14/11 09:46 PM.
R
rpl Offline
bench
bench
R
Just a question... Is SCUMMY the parent of the crazy kid that always gets cards and starts fights? It would make sense then!

C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

Just a question... Is SCUMMY the parent of the crazy kid that always gets cards and starts fights? It would make sense then!

I am the parent of the child who has probably the most cards this season, center mids ususlly do. She also has probably the most playin time as well. She has never started any fights. She did have to fend off a tag team from 2 of her lovely team mates at practice whom got up and low fived themselves and the coach turned his back to what happened. I do not have a problem speaking directly to anyone on the team and if you are a parent on the team should know that as I have pissed off most at some time. I agree with what SCUMPY has said so far except when I said it to whichever parent it was not as political. SCUMPY could be anyone as everyone knows what has occured. If you are a parent you have heard my complaints many times. Don't shoot the messenger!!!!! Maybe answering some of SCUMPY's accusations might help your cause. I am sure he can handle the debate as can I.

S
goal
goal
S
coaches are fair game & it seems to come with the territory, right or wrong, but this thread has degenerated into calling players names, maybe not the best idea from adults/parents...keep some perspective about this kids game & message board

C
kick off
kick off
C
Sandman you are correct but when you cannot win a debate then that is what occurs. I have been watching this debate since the beginning and am actually suprised at how long it took for my daughter to be slandered. I was probably one of the loudest critics of what was occuring this past season and expected the lightning rod that brings.

C
throw in
throw in
C
RPL I called out the others for getting off subject so how about it. Can you disprove any of the allegations false? Is SCUMPY correct?

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Trust me I have seen your child and the way she tried to take out her own club teammates was horrible...take it like you want but I actually thought about videoing it in case my child got seriously injured. It was a major concern of many parents....and no center mids are not the only ones who get yellows or RED cards...that is not how you play the game anyway and yes yellows do come out sometimes but not that often and never REDS unless it is something horrific...Sounds like to me you should be happy now because you did try and voice your opinion to everyone you could about Mick I overheard you many times myself...so just stay at SCUMP with Paul aka SCUMPY and be happy all of your complaining is probably one of the reasons he left...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
And you follow Mr. Townsend to nowhere and end up with nothing..Any club would be foolish to touch this guy..

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Paul,
We don't need to we are not there anymore. Come to think of it neither are a lot more.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

Trust me I have seen your child and the way she tried to take our her own club teammates was horrible...take it like you want but I actually thought about videoing it in case my child got seriously injured. It was a major concern of many parents....and no center mids are not the only ones who get yellows or RED cards...that is not how you play the game anyway and yes yellows do come out sometimes but not that often and never REDS unless it is something horrific...Sounds like to me you should be happy now because you did try and voice your opinion to everyone you could about Mick I overheard you many times myself...so just stay at SCUMP and be happy all of your complaining is probably one of the reasons he left...

Thank you for your concern of my childs well being and of her play. We would appreciate and video's you might have so I can submit if she decides to pursue a college career. Like I said previously I did not hide my dissatisfaction with what was happening to the team. As usual you hide behind initials and talk behind others backs while team mates. Classic from the classless. Are you going to go down the list of people who thought what was happening was wrong until you think you know who started the thread. You will have a much longer list than you think. Mick and his followers started this thread with this letter and the blind following the blind. Sadly I do not think my complaining was of much help, he had a contract i believe that is why he was not released for any reason until that expired. Please leave out the players in this conversation, some have not been as hardened as mine from the crap brought by the classless.

S
goal
goal
S
in the interest of lowcountry soccer, which i think is at the top of its game, maybe delete this thread.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
You are right so right?????

H
kick off
kick off
H
Why should the thread be deleted?

Do any of you parents care about how your child, or their teammate handles themselves on the field. Why shouldn't that be exposed??? I think it is disgraceful that SCYSA has not done anything about this group before now.

Here is what I know, if my child EVER, EVER, EVER used the F-word, for any reason whatsoever on a soccer field. Either toward a coach or ref or a teammate, I'd yank her off the field myself. Seriously. I raised my children to be better than that.

I can't get past that with that team. People want to point out that these are just kids and we shouldn't disparage them on a message board. But really, the way those girls conduct themselves on the field SHOULD embarrass them....but it doesn't. And.the.coach.does.nothing.

Some of those girls have been sold a bill of goods that they are the next Mia Hamm. Really?????? Anyone ever see anyone on our national team repeatedly using the F-word toward a teammate or coach? Yep, these girls use it towards Mick. And.the.coach.does.nothing.

Sorry, but my daughter is more than a player on a soccer field. And I don't care how good any player in this state may be, if that is how they conduct themselves, well, they come across as ignorant thugs.

The worst part, I think their parents are proud of them.

They are running out of clubs to run to. I guess Charlotte is next.....

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
The problem is the parent not doing anything about it, many times the coaches try and do something and they yet again get attacked by the parent. Most of the time this type of behavior is learned at home.

Last edited by RMJ; 05/15/11 04:47 AM.
H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

The problem is the parent not doing anything about it, many times the coaches try and do something and they yet again get attacked by the parent. Most of the time this type of behavior is learned at home.

So you are saying Mick, as the coach, tried to do something about it, and was attacked by the parents. I agree that type of behavior is usually learned at home. Not disputing that.

But you are essentially saying Mike could not control them or their parents.

Interesting comment.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Will do thanks for the advice but I have already decided that!!!

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Get your story straight before you talk about what you hear hum....

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Oh and while everyone is talking about this why are players that have never played for Mick leaving SCUMP? There are several girls that are trying out at other clubs and he has never been their coach hum...they are looking for a higher level of play.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OMG!!!!!
Another one has awoke from a Kool Aid induced coma.

Why is SCUMP not a good option? You did not seem to mind last year when:

You got free uniforms.

Some got Scholarship

The MT P Parents supported the team by paying the tournament fees and required hotel costs that allowed you to stay in cheaper hotels.

You got to have your coach at your request.

You got fields to train.( you did not have to worry about getting kicked out of a parking lot somewhere)

If Mike T was concerned about all of his players then why has the letters gone out to so few?

Where is the letter from last season recommending trying out at CESA and Columbia to play Region 3?

No offense but the players got no better with the training Mike provided last season so why are better teams needed now?

If Mike T was concerned about all of his players then why did he have dinner at a tournament with only the members he brought to the team and then proceed to trash the players who were not present? Thanks to the girls at the dinner who had more class than the rest and texted their team mates as to what was happening.

Think you need to check with girls from the 94 age group as to why they are no longer playing with Mike.

Congrats on the U-13 R3 team. How is that working out? Is that the team the players who had not played all year long showed up just in time to play state cup? HMMMMM

How about that awesome exposure from the tournaments? You do realize that coaches can't talk to freshman. The only time a college coach is going to look at the filler level games is if he trips and falls at your field while he is running to the restroom from the upper level games.

The reason for all the invites and guest players is that he cannot develop but he can recruit players. That is why you think he selected the best players. That is why parents, as you stated, asked what to do because they cannot think for themselves. The Kool Aid is strong with this group. Just Say No To Drugs. Crack is Whack. I will even give you your comeback(I know the Kool Aid Daze is still in effect)that will be more logical than the one you will spew."I'm rubber you're glue"

I forgot to add don't look at any other post so you can concentrate on the many statements I have made in these posts. Please show me one statement that is not true. I just ask for one.

Just one statement that is not true hum...
The uniforms were not free
The MP people did not pay for tournament fees of the other players matter of fact if you did not live in MP you had to pay extra fees to be on the team (you really need to prove this one yourself)
A lot of players did get better this season you must not know much about player development
Ask any college coach they do start watching players as freshmen no they cannot talk to them but they are always looking out for up coming players
As for not developing players hum why is it he trained 16 of the HHHS players and they are dominating and even beat Wando this year? He is still training most of them now.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Just trying to follow along, what is the higher level of play available at SCUFC that is not available at SCUMP? Are you talking specific age group comparisons (players following next year's R3 opportunities based on cup results) or general club to club comparison?

Last edited by DeltaDog; 05/15/11 06:31 AM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
SCUMP will be better off...There's not enough room for all those kids now...so goodbye..
Dog
It's about one age group..one team..that's it..
SCUMP has two girls and boys teams playing for state today and a list of coaches second to none and somehow SCUMP is beneath these people..Does it sound like these folks brought a healthy enviroment to the club?

U
bench
bench
U
mick's team had the best team, hands down, in the state for the 95 girls. everyone who pays attention knew that. he blew it. it's that simple. it wasn't the club, the girls or the parents. it is the coach that leads a team. there was no leadership. you have to have more than an awareness of the game or an accent to be a good coach. he did not understand nor deal with teenage girls and their attitudes. if a coach allows the girls to make the rules (much like a bad parent - certainly did not mean to imply anything here... ), the team will slowly drown. and it did. that's why they played better together in the beginning of the season. whether or not you think he is a good coach, he came up short in state cup, which, IN FACT, with this particular team, makes him a horrible coach. if you can't take a winning team and get them to win, you must really be bad. that's why his contract was not renewed at SCUMP.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Is anyone not aware that there are girls from the 94 team also leaving? Almost all of them are. So hum...

D
Goal
Goal
D
That's the other SCUMP team that didn't make finals at cup? Some of this sounds like simply part of the annual migration of players per age group trying to follow the R3 opportunities. I'm guessing SCUMP will have players from other clubs including SCUFC (perhaps CESA as well) at the tryouts for the other age groups?

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Will be interesting to see what happens...

S
bench
bench
S
The SCUMP 94G Coach Hoerner was drinking Townsends Koolaid as well. He had a talented group of Girls that he could NOT train or coach to success. Instead of stepping aside and conceding he had failed the team he instead drank some Townsend koolaid. Read email he sent to his team earlier this season after he allowed Townsend to raid his team. Many others were sent out before and after this but only to a selected bunch that Townsend chose.

~Good morning….Need to reach out to all of you and answer some of the questions that have been floating around the last week or so in regards to “Our Team” and a spring season. To be completely honest, our U16 season officially ended after our State Cup play the second weekend in December. Not one (1) of our fall rostered players has paid a club fee, coaching fee, league fee, or any other fee for a spring season. Thus there is no “Our U16 Team” that exists at this time.

With the soccer community being very small and well-connected I understand that people talk, word gets out, and all that will offend certain people included or not included. Please remember that is a two-way street in that parents talk, word gets out to Directors and Coaches as well. With the fact that our season officially ends in December, players are free to look where they want, in terms of teams to play on, guest play on, and for next season. We are very aware that is currently going on and have no control over that.

I have had no team practice or training nor have I played any games or gone to any tournaments with a U16 team.

I have had no plans for “Our Team” or sent any emails to “Our Team.”

Nobody has been “Kicked Off” the team. As I said our season ended in December so we really have no team right now for the spring.

One of the Club Directors also spoke with me last week in regards to a parent approaching him about me taking the team to another club. Kian, Jason, Mic, Curtis, and I communicate on a regular basis and I can assure you that not a word has been discussed in terms of me taking teams and players to another club.

Interesting to see how many of “Our Players” have had conversations about going elsewhere without including us???!!!!!!

The club offered a Tournament Program to all players, 15-18 and that was not received with much success or enough to form combined teams.

Curtis and Mick have since taken a U15 and U17 team to Score at the Shore in which some of “Our Team” participated in. %&%&%( and ^%%*^* with the 15’s and ^*%(^*, &^*(^^(&*, and ^*(%(^% with the 17’s. Some of the U15 and U16 players from the fall were asked and some were not.

I have been approached by some college coaches in regards to putting together various players since our official season is over and take them to a couple of events so they could continue to evaluate certain players.

-I have reached out to those players who happen to represent various clubs, some of which are in ours and some in others.

-Yes, this puts me in a very awkward position as it includes some of “Our” players and excludes others.

-if other playing opportunities or roster spots open up I will communicate that to you.

Furthermore….this has nothing to do with who I like and don’t like. This is coaching for me and when it comes to evaluating talent it is about each players “Skill Set” and where they fit in to give them the best opportunity to grow and develop as a player. There is not a team anywhere that “treats” everyone on the field as equals. Off the field, I feel that I have treated everyone with respect and communicated as best I could.

All of that being said I understand that some of you are going to be offended that your daughter is not included in whatever situation’s I or a U16 team participates in during the spring. I wish everything could be fair but that is not the case. As I said earlier, it is interesting that you are all open to looking for other playing situations for the spring and next year but if the same occurs with a team that is offensive and not right.

Jeff Hoerner~

Townsend had his hand in destroying this team as well. HHI 94G players on this team would not train with him because of issues with him that are stated in previous threads. ***Coach Hoerner applied for a job at College of Charleston~hope they see the light and say NEXT!

S
goal
goal
S
slightly off topic, what opps are avail to u15 & up in spring, is it just tournies & if so, where?

anyone jumping scumps ship is nuts. the rising u15g, u14g, u13g, u12g, u11g, u10g are probably on their way to be the best developed talent in the state with at least two teams deep in each age group. u13 & below, 4+ quality teams deep.
kian & matt have surrounded themselves with some good coaches. its a good program & come a long way in the past two yrs.

wando girls best days are ahead of them.

Last edited by sandman; 05/15/11 09:07 PM.
H
kick off
kick off
H
I have a question to those posters who feel Mike was a good coach and all the problems were created by SCUMP.

Why won't you address the issues that have been raised with the player's behavior on the field? Anyone who saw this team play saw first hand the nastiness and lack of sportsmanship by some of those girls.

How in the world can you say that those girls did not cause disfunction on the team? I mean really, what coach or parent or player would say that one teammate calling another a b--ch, and using the F-word throughout the game did not contribute to the problems on that team.

RMJ - how about you? You seem to be a parent on that team. Are you saying that when members of that team called their teammates names, blamed losses on them and were generally nasty, it helped build the team up??? Really???

That group is like a pack of wolves and they get taken from club to club to club to club. The coach is who let it get this bad. The coach should have stood up to the parents YEARS ago and said, "You're child is a talented soccer player, but needs to learn how to play on a team."

I know some of these girls say Mike is getting them into UNC or other big name programs. I've never seen a UNC game, but I'm sure some of you have. How many times do UNC players call each other B***ches on the field. Does Dorrance turn a blind eye to f-bombs being dropped all over the field?

I can say this, in 10 years, let's all agree to come back to this message board and give updates on where these girls are in their lives. And before anyone says "Let's remember these are young girls we are talking about," let's also remember these young girls are the ones who are on the field, during games, using profanity and verbally abusing their teammates.

That is the real reason they can't find a club to play at. That core group, with Mike at the helm, is out of control. I think he should be embarrassed with how they act on the field.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
UNC? That's priceless..

world cup
world cup
I can't wait to see these girls from MtP in a few years! CESA's been kicking everybody's arse for about a decade and I don't think they've ever had a girl get a sniff from UNC.

Wow!

S
goal
goal
S
unc is a red herring, wise up.
whose ass did cesa kick today? wasn't mt p.

Last edited by sandman; 05/16/11 12:53 AM.
brace
brace
But you get an answer to that!

Last edited by The Chief; 05/16/11 01:32 AM.
world cup
world cup
Quote:

I was at Manchester Meadows all weekend, saw it myself. Congratulations to the SCUMP girls. I agree with you....red herring, hope expectations in the Low Country are still realistic. Lacing up your boots for Anson is a far cry from winning a state cup in Rock Hill.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

I was at Manchester Meadows all weekend, saw it myself. Congratulations to the SCUMP girls. I agree with you....red herring, hope expectations in the Low Country are still realistic. Lacing up your boots for Anson is a far cry from winning a state cup in Rock Hill.

i can assure you, we're not that backwoods here in good ole mt p. USA. its just yth soccer, nothing more, nothing less.:D

Last edited by sandman; 05/16/11 01:50 AM.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Well done SCU-MP
Sandman I agree with you that lowcountry girls soccer is looking bright for the future.
Based on our initial evaluation session this last weekend (with over 130 kids participating) I'm guessing we'll be looking to deepen our footprint and move into State leagues next year.

Almost certainly we'll be fielding U14 competitive and two U13 girl squads. Plus a host of younger squads at different levels.

Not much wrong with Lowcountry soccer from where I sit this evening.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
S
goal
goal
S
good for you folks, i think i sent a few players your way.
keep up the good work cainhoy, you def fill a void.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

I know some of these girls say Mike is getting them into UNC or other big name programs. I've never seen a UNC game, but I'm sure some of you have. How many times do UNC players call each other B***ches on the field. Does Dorrance turn a blind eye to f-bombs being dropped all over the field?

Play chess much?

Abby &^%&#(@ Wambach? Mia Hamm .. throwing elbows and F bombs in front of your little darling and you had no clue!!??

But then your statement about Mike and UNC proved that!!

B
brace
brace
B
Saint Anson of Chapel Hill.
(Yeah, right.)

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

Quote:

Play chess much?

Abby &^%&#(@ Wambach? Mia Hamm .. throwing elbows and F bombs in front of your little darling and you had no clue!!??

But then your statement about Mike and UNC proved that!!

I have no idea what your chess comment is in reference to.

As I said, I've never been to a UNC game or a National Team game for that manner. Are you saying that those girls spend the entire game blaming one another for everything? Are you saying that if someone missed a shot that Hamm or Wambach went to that player and say "You f-g b---ch, how did you miss that?" And spent the entire game telling everyone else on the team what terrible players they were. And they continued that after the game. And they did it during practice. Really????

I'm not a prude. And my daughter has heard bad language before. She is not going to melt from it. But can anyone honestly say that when players on a team continually blame other players for losses that it does not bring a team down? Is there a QUALITY coach out there who believes that is good for a team?

And don't shoot the messenger about the UNC stuff. I'm not the one saying Mike can get them into UNC, USC, or other big name schools. Mike T is the one saying that, not me. I'm just telling what I've heard. When I heard that stuff, I just nodded my head and said "Oh, that's great." I guess we will know in the next few years if Mike was able to get these girls into a UNC uniform.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think he is suggesting that those players do cuss and throw elbows..Whatever gives them an advantage..Anyone ever look into Mia's eyes when she went to cross and no teammates were there to finish?
The media played these players up as close friends..They were competitors that tried to win games..

B
brace
brace
B
The bottom line is, your child's behavior reflects on YOU. Not their coach. Not their teammates. Not your opponents. YOU!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
The apples don't fall far from the tree..

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Back to the question "What's wrong with Low country soccer". I know nothing about Low country soccer, but I would think if you merged all of your clubs in the low country you wouldn't have the problems I've read on this post.

1. you would have a stronger club
2. you would have a stronger coach staff
3. you would have stronger directors
4. your top players would stay in the low country and not do a 7 hour commute $80 in gas for 1 practise a week with CESA.(dumb parents. we're talking youth soccer, my god!)
5. You would be winning just as many state championships as CESA, if not more, because all of your top players would be on 1 team.
6. your local politicians would probably be throwing millions at you like they did CESA, because they know you'll have tournaments and fill the hotels and restaurants.
How many parents accross the country would rather go to charleston rather than greenville for a tournament(beach, tourism,top restaurants in the country).For those of you that have been associated with club for awhile, do you remember old MESA in Greenville with the section 8 trailer on it and all the rusting power equipment sitting around, and we were playing on a cow pasture, look at it now. We still would be playing at that dump if it wasn't for Greenville county taxpayers.

I've also read that lately or in the future you're going to have some CESA personnel attend some tryouts in the low country, I would suggest the low country better get their @#^& together or get a Mini Cooper because get ready to do some driving if you want your child to play top level soccer.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I'll probably catch greif for this one..
But most of the talented players are together now..It's taken way to long for this to happen..That's not to say there are not talented kids at other clubs..Just not as many.It seems that the other clubs have taken on the roll as developmental clubs and as the kids grow and want more..They will find themselves at SCUMP..Pretty much the way the bridge concept was six years ago.

B
brace
brace
B
The questions are these:

1) Does all the movement make kids BETTER?
2) Does one club have a monopoly on player development?
3) Is the grass REALLY greener?

Once folks realize that, for the VAST majority of kids, the answer to all 3 questions is "no," the weekly caravan on I-26 will be reduced to a trickle of terminally disgruntled parents and kids.

Once parents take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that their dissatisfaction level is THEIRS, and not the club's responsibility, and that it doesn't change from club to club ...

Over the years, I've seen kids jump all over the lot with no hard evidence that they were better for it. In fact, in athletic development, there's a lot to be said for continuity.

STOP THE MADNESS.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

The questions are these:

Once folks realize that, for the VAST majority of kids, the answer to all 3 questions is "no," the weekly caravan on I-26 will be reduced to a trickle of terminally disgruntled parents and kids.

Once parents take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that their dissatisfaction level is THEIRS, and not the club's responsibility, and that it doesn't change from club to club ...

Over the years, I've seen kids jump all over the lot with no hard evidence that they were better for it. In fact, in athletic development, there's a lot to be said for continuity.

STOP THE MADNESS.

continuity is huge, our premier team actually was worse when the club went out of the area to get kids to come to our club, when we started doing that we didn't win state 2 years in a row, including losing to our own younger girls in the state championship game. my daughter would tell me the out of towners would only be at practice 1 day a week, so most practices were without the whole team. (not much of a team concept) doesn't make much sense does it?

H
kick off
kick off
H
I still doubt she stood in the middle of the field and looked at her teammates and yelled to them that they were "f-g b---ches"

Players make mistakes. Some players don't "bring it" to every game. Even on the national level.

But there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with your teammates. Somehow, I can't picture players on the national team screaming insults to their teammates all during a game. From start to finish. And at practice. From start to finish.

The coach had no control over some of those girls.

How many coaches and parents think that is the winning formula? Did it help the 95 Girls team that was the topic of this thread? Do you people really think it helped those girls get stronger and play as a team?

Why can't anyone answer that question? Heck, no one will even address it. There were some posts supportive of Mike, why won't those same people address the behavior of the girls on the team that have been raised.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Sure, it reflects on their upbringing.

But it reflects on how good a coach is if he accepts that behavior and does nothing to control it.

The coach for that team accepted and allowed that type of behavior. I don't know all the coaches for the teams at SCUMP, but I bet there are a lot of coaches who would have benched players for acting out that way on the field.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Whatever happened about the private tryouts the select players from Mike T's and Curtis Freeman's group had at BBT fields a couple of Sundays ago? Did the SCUFC coaches like what they saw?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

Quote:

The questions are these:

STOP THE MADNESS.

continuity is huge, our premier team actually was worse when the club went out of the area to get kids to come to our club, when we started doing that we didn't win state 2 years in a row, including losing to our own younger girls in the state championship game. my daughter would tell me the out of towners would only be at practice 1 day a week, so most practices were without the whole team. (not much of a team concept) doesn't make much sense does it?

I had this discussion with the CESA Directors and a Coach. They basically laughed in my face, at my suggestion that a TEAM is better off practicing TOGETHER as a TEAM at the SAME time and at the SAME location. They indicated it did not matter if some practice in Greenville, some in Columbia etc...

What really mattered to them was getting the Columbia and Charleston kids and their money.

B
brace
brace
B
As soon as we all cross the Rubicon -- and come to understand that in many instances, it's ALL about the money -- the sooner we'll empower ourselves to makes better decisions for our kids.
ANY club director/coach who tells you it makes no difference whether kids train TOGETHER for a TEAM sport is a liar. Period.

S
coach
coach
S
Interesting to break this down into logical ideas:

It makes [no, some, all the] difference whether kids [always, sometimes, never] train together in [all, some, none] of their practices for a team sport [when compared to nothing, when compared to having slightly better players available to the team, when compared to having much better players available to the team.]

The problem I always have with this thinking are the shades of gray. I'd rather have a vastly superior individual on the team that didn't practice with the team than a vastly inferior one. I'd rather players practice much more often individually than not practice individually so that they could only practice with the team. And so on.

Years ago, when I dealt with CESA directors and coaches, the discussion was around the shades of gray part.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

The questions are these:

STOP THE MADNESS.

Not all out of towners.

goal kick
goal kick
Those two guys gbdawgs and soccerpop,or whatever their names are today,remind me of the little kid that has the ball but wont let others play with it!!Its mine and you cant cant play!!It was never about us ,it was about our daughter,and she turned out pretty good.Just think what it might have been if some parents had acted like parents and not judges!!

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Transplant

It seems that nobody was upset when your daughter came onto that team (from out of town) and scored some goals. They also didn't seem to mind when I.R. came onto that team (from out of town). E.S. moved to Florida and I.R. moved to her regular age group. That's a lot for one team to lose. The result was that they lost the state final after 8 or 9 pks one year and in overtime one year to a very good Bridge team. Now, years later, two guys (gbdawgs and soccerpop} whose daughters don't play club anymore are very upset about out of town players from the U-14 through U-16 years. I can't figure it out either.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
We had a girl travel about two hours to be on our team for less than half a season..Rarely showed up for practice..I guess the ride was to much..She made a huge impact in our midfield..changed the way we played..Sometimes it does work..I think the parents were alot to handle for the ole coach..

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Harry- don't show your ignorance. Transplant and family have lived in the Upstate for years. They are as local as it gets.

There is not a problem with an out-of-towner if they truly deserve to make a team, that's great. And Transplant's daughter would probably be better than most players on any team.

But when the out-of-towner displaces a starter and are as good or no better or even worse, are a lesser player. That is the issue.

You are just trying to twist it.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Maybe I have his identity wrong, but I'll let Transplant answer when his daughter joined that team and when they moved here from the Hilton Head area. Maybe they moved here before they joined the team, but I thought it was the other way around.

I'll let you tell me who you think got displaced that was better than MKM and BL. I think most coaches would take the two of them on their team anyday. And yes, every coach I know would take HA on their team too. I'll agree with you on that.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

Those two guys gbdawgs and soccerpop,or whatever their names are today,remind me of the little kid that has the ball but wont let others play with it!!Its mine and you cant cant play!!It was never about us ,it was about our daughter,and she turned out pretty good.Just think what it might have been if some parents had acted like parents and not judges!!

Transplant if your an out of towner so am i. We lived in Greenville about the same amount of time your family has. Our daughters are the best of friends. Harry(AH) is just trying to stir things up between friends. This is the "control" thing he likes to think he's good at. I'm sure we both agree that our meetings with Harry at Boland court all have been negative. (Great business owner -customer relationship)an appreciation of all of the jack we've thrown at his arse. Bombers comments are about players who live in the midlands and coast and come up here and practice once a week in a "TEAM" concept. Transplant come and pick up the grill,my garage is packed.

B
brace
brace
B
The question ISN'T whether "better" players improve a team no matter how often they train together. The question is: How good would the team be if the "better" players were at EVERY training session?
Some time back, CESA's "training" sessions in Charleston were essentially co-ed kick-arounds, which is one reason why many of those kids returned to MPSC/Academy.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
You can call me AH all you want. Doesn't make it true. Just like you can say I'm trying to stir up things between you and your friends. The fact is, you're talking about how detrimental out of town players are and Transplant took offense to it. I had nothing to do with it. You can blame all your problems with CESA on me or AH or PT or RS. That doesn't make it my fault.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

The question ISN'T whether "better" players improve a team no matter how often they train together. The question is: How good would the team be if the "better" players were at EVERY training session?
Some time back, CESA's "training" sessions in Charleston were essentially co-ed kick-arounds, which is one reason why many of those kids returned to MPSC/Academy.

You're 100% correct. If you lack the "ability" to develop players in any sport, you start looking outside for players that are already developed. I think that's what the upstate club has chosen to do.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Look at the younger age groups this weekend. 13 boys were the best team by far winning the final 5-0 I believe. The challenge team was also in the final 4. 14 boys won state cup as well. 13 girls lost in the final to a very good team in the last 30 seconds. It's a disappointing day when CESA only wins 2 of 4 against larger markets. I think developing players is not a problem at all. Where did your daughter play as a youth player? She's pretty good isn't she? Every club worth it's salt tries to offer the highest level players a chance to play with them. Would you be bashing Columbia or Charlotte for recruiting CESA players?

H
brace
brace
H
Can i get a answer on this?
Who is complaining about "Out of towners"?
Is it Parents from other clubs complaining about CESA or is it CESA parents complaining about CESA?.
Why would CESA or any other club turn away players? wouldnt make sense if they did.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
2 or 3 guys who have daughters who used to play for CESA

B
brace
brace
B
Harry, I bash recruiting, period. Telling a 12/13/14-year-old how good he/she is so you can collect his/her parents' money is beyond lame. It facilitates a destructive, entitled attitude in kids AND parents.
Everyone here with a clue knows who recruits (bad enough), and what's more, knows who recruits IN SEASON. The reason it doesn't stop is because parents are suckers for their kids, and the various governing bodies have a vested interest in maintaining the system as is.
Bottom line: You buy the recruiting line, and you have absolutely zero right to complain when the same coach who LOVED your kid last year, recruits OVER him this year.

H
brace
brace
H
I guess the low country people are happy this has been turned into a CESA thread.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Harry, I bash recruiting, period. Telling a 12/13/14-year-old how good he/she is so you can collect his/her parents' money is beyond lame. It facilitates a destructive, entitled attitude in kids AND parents.
Everyone here with a clue knows who recruits (bad enough), and what's more, knows who recruits IN SEASON. The reason it doesn't stop is because parents are suckers for their kids, and the various governing bodies have a vested interest in maintaining the system as is.
Bottom line: You buy the recruiting line, and you have absolutely zero right to complain when the same coach who LOVED your kid last year, recruits OVER him this year.

Backscreen17 im not saying you are wrong but its kinda like with all sports. If one team/club is doing it then they all are doing it. Too many people on here want to focus on CESA all the time. I guess because more kids from " out of town" drive to CESA to play so they get the ugly tossed on them.I think CESA has been around long enough now and with the ecnl i really do not think they have to recruit.
I can tell you only from my experience with my kids that CESA never recruited them and we spent 4 years driving there. Two of those years were both half of the seasons and we were there 2 days a week.

B
brace
brace
B
Hard Headed,
I'm not bashing CESA, or MPSC, or CUFC, or Academy, or ANY current or former club singly. I'm bashing a system in which pre-adolescents are recruited by terminal adolescents for the sole apparent purpose of winning games.
Club Directors can call it what they want. It's fundamentally corrupt in that it abjectly fails to promote player development (any better at one club than another), while facilitating a self-important, entitled generation of kids.
So, to go back to the thread's origin ...
What's wrong with Lowcountry soccer is the same thing that's wrong with it everywhere in the state.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

You can call me AH all you want. Doesn't make it true. Just like you can say I'm trying to stir up things between you and your friends. The fact is, you're talking about how detrimental out of town players are and Transplant took offense to it. I had nothing to do with it. You can blame all your problems with CESA on me or AH or PT or RS. That doesn't make it my fault.

Doesn't make it false.... I'm sure after my posts about his employer, RS is bitter towards me, but I think RS is a gentleman and has been totally fair and up front with my daughter and her parents. In the 8+ years my daughter played with ST. Giles and CESA I never met PT so how could i comment on that person. You're a different story.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Hard Headed,
I'm not bashing CESA, or MPSC, or CUFC, or Academy, or ANY current or former club singly. I'm bashing a system in which pre-adolescents are recruited by terminal adolescents for the sole apparent purpose of winning games.
Club Directors can call it what they want. It's fundamentally corrupt in that it abjectly fails to promote player development (any better at one club than another), while facilitating a self-important, entitled generation of kids.
What's wrong with Lowcountry soccer is the same thing that's wrong with it everywhere in the state.

I've never read a more correct statement on this board. Well stated1

J
bench
bench
J
All the benefits of playing on a TEAM are of least importance nowadays. There is certainly a place for "player development" but no one should be fooled into thinking that it has ANYTHING to do with teamwork. Once a player realizes that changing teams may benefit her individually, the concept of team has died.

So, will you focus on individual improvement or on promoting teamwork? You cannot have both in equal amounts. Teamwork between "good" players might develop over time, but constant player movement is not good for a team no matter how talented the individuals.

This player development meme is also troublesome because it silently proclaims that the players left on the team (in the dust) aren't worth the effort it would take to make them into a good team.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

Quote:

Hard Headed,

Great post... Now the question is what can be done to put the reigns on these club owners? The problem isn't just here in the upstate, or in SC, it's a problem accross the country. You can go to any soccer message board in the country, or just Google problems with youth club soccer and you'll see what were talking about.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hard Headed,

Great post... Now the question is what can be done to put the reigns on these club owners? The problem isn't just here in the upstate, or in SC, it's a problem accross the country. You can go to any soccer message board in the country, or just Google problems with youth club soccer and you'll see what were talking about.

like bs17 alluded to, its us parents, too easily sucked into our superstars world.
our parents were too smart for this.

D
Goal
Goal
D
We, SC, currently have about 30-36 roster spots per age group worth of access to league play outside the various state leagues. Generally, from what I've seen over the last 10 years I'm pretty sure more than 30-36 players per age group in SC are capable of competing at that level.

While I have no doubt there is recruiting by clubs, I know all movement of players is not the necessarily the result of active recruiting. Every year that an "incumbent" R3 team is knocked out of R3, there will be players looking to follow that opportunity. Every year that "incumbent" players are dropped from a R3 roster there will be players looking to find the R3 opportunity elsewhere. (Of course, there is also the impact of mergers on R3 rosters.) It's like musical chairs, and it's not driven by money or recruiting. It's players wanting to play R3 Premier League. Given similar levels of training available throughout the state, the experience gained through participation in R3 is significant, I believe, compared to in-state leagues.

I agree with Shibumi in part that a great deal of what a player brings to the team in terms of skills can (should?) be developed outside the team training sessions. However, I believe training with the team, especially during years of youth soccer, is important with regards to learning fundamental tactics and various systems of play. It's much more efficient from a coaching perspective to work with the team together on combinations or changing from sweeper to flat back in a training environment rather than while the players are under game pressure.

As far as "out-of-towners" repeatedly missing training, Hard Headed is right. You can't lump them all together any more than you can lump all "in-towners" into a group as always attending. Now, forget money and forget development for a moment. If you want to grind some tooth enamel of a girls' soccer team and create conflict, put that team through 2 weeks of training sessions including lots of conditioning and allow a couple of those players not at those sessions to start the next game after.

D
Goal
Goal
D
If part of the "musical chairs" problem in SC can be addressed by finding additional opportunities for a greater number of our girls to participate in higher level events, perhaps one of those opportunities could be found at the following site. Although I'm sure DOC's at clubs in SC may already be aware of this league, the league is currently (according to its website) taking applications for girls' teams. You may want to ask your DOC if club membership in such a league could benefit your club. I only know about this league through what I've read at the site.

Atlantic Soccer League homepage...

http://www.aslsoccer.net/index.html

At this site go to "Member Clubs" and click on "Girls Clubs" which will take you to the
girls league page and notice of applications being taken.

N
Throw In
Throw In
N
this post has gone on entirely way too long......

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
totally agree..I hope those who found the lowcountry not to their liking..A better place for chaos and discontent and best of luck to the five of you!!

S
goal
goal
S
our soccer superstars grandparents are laughing at us.

M
bench
bench
M
Nothing is wrong based on high school playoff results. Congrats to am, hh, and wando. The question should be can cesa screw up the older girls in the upstate anymore than they already have?

C
Goal
Goal
C
Quote:

Nothing is wrong based on high school playoff results. Congrats to am, hh, and wando. The question should be can cesa screw up the older girls in the upstate anymore than they already have?

Don't forget the club success of SCUMP 96, SCUMP 97 and SCUMP 98 elite this year.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Remember all the posts on all the threads? Club and high school are two completely different entities. Wando's female success has no bearing on the cluster Lowcountry club soccer has been for years. If it was so good, then the Lowcountry would have club success on state and regional level, have an ECNL club maybe and/or have individual players developing to high level college soccer. They have none of the above. Remember, club and high school are completely different.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Y'know, it's funny...the assertion from the club side is that the success or failure of high school teams is directly related to club training or lack thereof--to the point that no high school team can be successful without the question, "where do their players play club ball?"--unless they are dissatisfied with the clubs, in which case they are two entirely different and independent issues.

Sometimes, in the case of high schools, it may be that a PARTIAL factor is the CONCENTRATION of upper-tier club players that are members of a single high school's team, as opposed to when a club team's members, in the spring season, are more scattered throughout multiple high school teams. Just a thought.

S
coach
coach
S
If you'd like a quick and dirty attempt to understand how to measure high school success factors, I'd humbly suggest attempting to (1) take into account the size of the high school and (2) take into account the demographics of the area the high school serves (poverty index, etc.)

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that these are more important factors than any others by a wide margin. Of course, you'll find correlations with respect to these factors on things like clubs - because clubs spring up most often when there is population density and affluence.

I'd argue that school size, affluence, and the quality of coaching are your primary factors. But I'd be arguing from a position of ignorance - because I haven't run any numbers and it's just my opinion...

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Quote:

Remember all the posts on all the threads? Club and high school are two completely different entities. Wando's female success has no bearing on the cluster Lowcountry club soccer has been for years. If it was so good, then the Lowcountry would have club success on state and regional level, have an ECNL club maybe and/or have individual players developing to high level college soccer. They have none of the above. Remember, club and high school are completely different.

A high school soccer teams success is 100% based on the amount of club/premier players you have on your team. The chances of having a high school team with no club players being succesful is non existant. (If so give me some examples.) Therefore with the sweep of the lowcountry high school teams (3-0)I don't think there is any problems with the clubs in the lowcountry. Therefore no reason to do the 7 hour commute to greenville for youth soccer training. The lowcountry clubs are doing just fine.

S
coach
coach
S
>>Therefore no reason to do the 7 hour commute to greenville for youth soccer training. The lowcountry clubs are doing just fine.<<

The premise that this rests upon is that a parent of a child who has very high ambitions is focused on the success of a high school team. If we attribute a more selfish motive for that parent - that the parents want to help their child achieve personal success - then it might be more telling to look at individual measures of success versus team measures.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Lowcountry clubs are doing fine at producing enough players to be proficient at performing at the same school at the high school level.

But, the same Lowcountry clubs are not close to producing enough players to be proficient at performing at the same club at the youth soccer level. As evidenced by the lack of, to name a few, 1) success on club's state, regional and national level 2) having an ECNL level club and/or most importantly 3) producing individual, female players to go on and play high level college soccer.

Two completely different entities. Good high school soccer v good club soccer. Despite some commonality of players, they don't correlate to justify a statement "Lowcountry high schools win HS titles so Lowcountry club soccer is fine." Not realistic. Something is still lacking for better youth soccer.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

Club has everything to do with high school. Look at the better high school programs, both boys and girls. They are loaded with Club players. Now regarding the Lowcountry Clubs, keep your players at home, playing for the local Clubs, then your Clubs will have better results. Maybe a shift is beginning to occur as Mid-state and Lowcountry Clubs seem to be winning a bit more.

G
bench
bench
G
Hilton Head! They have done great and most of those players have played other sports, not just soccer! Maybe the success of their High School has something to do with the coaching...Ernie is a great coach and that team plays as a team...no individuals out to make a name for themselves.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Wow, can anyone stop being a high school fanatic and speak rationally?

Congrats to the teams, players and coaches for their high school accolades. I'm not trying to downplay it all. Great job!

All I'm responding to is the statement the deduces, because the Lowcountry high schools won HS titles that Lowcountry club soccer is fine too. High schools' success in a certain area has no correlation to the club soccer in that same area.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Are you drinking moonshine?

The only way that is does not correlate is-

1) The High School athletes are just great ahletes and it does not matter what they do in the off season. They could even be drinking moonshine. They will still be good soccer players.

2) The High School soccer players are playing for Clubs, but not Clubs in the Lowcountry.

3) The High School soccer players are getting all their training and developing their skills at High School practices and games, thus Club is a big waste of time and money.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Mmmmm. Really?

Well, since the Lower part of the state won so many HS female titles, then it'll be easy to list all the state and/or regional titles in club soccer from that area, all the ECNL events attended by clubs from that area and all the top D-I players from that area and their college choice. Please list them to correct me.

When you're done, look at the many, many accomplishments of CESA and then list all the state titles the Upper part of the state won for women. These two long lists will definitely prove I was wrong saying there is no correlation between the entities of high school soccer and club soccer.

I'll be sipping my drink while I wait.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
While your at it, mix me one as well.

Just seems to reason the better HS teams are filled with an abundance of players from Club teams. Or is it, the better Club teams are filled with an abundance of HS players.

You know, better mix me a double while I "ponder" that one for a while.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It always comes back to a us verses them..And we wonder why soccer is in the state it is in S.C.
So someone tooted their horn that the lower state had a sweep of state titles in high school...so what? Let someone enjoy the moment..How often does that happen?
Now it's who's going to what college and who plays in what league..Ask any parent,player or coach from the 92 group that shared state titles between SCUMP and CESA if they did not have butterflies floating in their stomaches before every match..It's called respect..
We'll just go ahead and say that CESA is not only the best in the state but in the U.S. as well for the sake of arguement..So maybe this message board can move forward as well as soccer in S.C.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
CHT, thanks for the lecture but keep emotion out of it. Didn't mean to strike a nerve in the Lowcountry.

Bomber, good posts and glad I inherited a drinking buddy.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I showed emotion?..Cool!!
It seems like every thread ends up going in the same direction..Club soccer is done for us..It would just be nice to look on the ole message board in a few years and fine the us verses them mentality behind us and eveyone working for a common goal..

world cup
world cup
Quote:

It seems like every thread ends up going in the same direction..Club soccer is done for us..It would just be nice to look on the ole message board in a few years and fine the us verses them mentality behind us and eveyone working for a common goal..

If the us versus them mentality is behind us, and everyone's working for a common goal......that means there will only be one competitive club left in the state.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Maybe a shift is beginning to occur as Mid-state and Lowcountry Clubs seem to be winning a bit more.

The Low Contry is euphoric because Wando, HHI and AM did very well this weekend. They are to be congratulated.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Ah, the things we could do...especially if folks could realize that "working for a common goal" and "marching under one common banner" are not necessarily one and the same...

I've got good news and bad news...
D
Goal
Goal
D
bingo.

D
Goal
Goal
D
well, there is on the club side the common banner of SCYSA of which all of our clubs are members. From its mission statement... "South Carolina Youth Soccer and our members are dedicated to promoting and improving soccer for everyone in the state of South Carolina.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

well, there is on the club side the common banner of SCYSA of which all of our clubs are members. From its mission statement... "South Carolina Youth Soccer and our members are dedicated to promoting and improving soccer for everyone in the state of South Carolina.

So are you saying SCYSA should force Cesa tomorrow to announce whether they are going to give up their Region 3 spots in favor of ECNL so that all the players in the state know actually what teams they are actually trying to make.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Whats wrong with Low Country soccer?

After this past weekend with HS results........doesn't sound like much of anything.

M
bench
bench
M
Quote:

Wow, can anyone stop being a high school fanatic and speak rationally?

Congrats to the teams, players and coaches for their high school accolades. I'm not trying to downplay it all. Great job!

All I'm responding to is the statement the deduces, because the Lowcountry high schools won HS titles that Lowcountry club soccer is fine too. High schools' success in a certain area has no correlation to the club soccer in that same area.

It is meant as a compliment that the talent, ability, and drive are there so nothing is "wrong" as far as that goes. It seems the club structure is more fragmented and the talent is not pulled together as well in relation to the CESA dominated upstate. As other posters have said as well, the demographics of the schools/areas play a large part. The potential for the lowcountry to lead the state is here.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard