Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
S
goal
goal
S
so what are the promises not kept & why is he recommending not returning to play for scump?

what are the issues?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I believe MESA and Wenwood are now Greenville County Parks (at least that's what the signs say) after CESA received $1.5 million in Greenville County based restaurant tax money which I believe is 2%.

Please correct me if you have other data.

I don't know if what you posted is correct. However, here's the other data that I have. I can't believe I spent time doing this today.

Last weekend, CESA hosted the Adidas Festival. All games were held at MESA. There were 170 teams. 133 teams from outside of Greenville. (I counted off the website schedules. Ridiculous huh?) They came from GA and NC. Mostly Atlanta, Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. Let's do some very conservative estimating.

These were all academy teams so the roster would be small.

Let's say that the teams only spent 1 night in a hotel. Most probably spent 2, but we'll say just 1. Let's say that there were 9 rooms per team. Let's also say that a room costs $80.

133 teams x 9 per team x $80 = $95,760

Let's say that these 9 players per team got a tank of gas in town. Let's say a tank of gas costs $40 (laughable)

133 teams x 9 per team x $40 = $47,880

Let's say that each player (parents not included) ate a meal in town. Let's say the meal costs $10. (laughable again)

$11,970

So, based on these ridiculously low estimates, $155,610 were earned in GA and NC and were spent in Greenville County this weekend alone.

This was for a 170 team tournament. CESA does 3 others in the year that are well over 200 teams. One gets close to 300 teams.

Also, 133 teams means 66 games at a time. Each getting 3 games means 198 games. Another extremely low estimate would say that a referee earns $15 for a game. Almost all of the referees at MESA at Greenville kids. So that would be $2,970 earned by Greenville kids paid for by GA and NC.

I haven't put in what kids bought while visiting the mall or the handful of x-rays that were probably taken this weekend.

In terms of economic impact, I think they'll reach that $1.5 million real quick.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I can't believe you spent time doing this today either.

S
SCUMPY Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I know it is hard to not make everything about CESA but really what does this have to do with original post. Please start a CESA categorie to post random musings not related topic. And yes Mike is a nice man but that sometimes is part of the problem.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I agree. Has anyone from that team been given any information as to who may be assigned as the next coach? May turn out to be as good or better. I don't know the situation there (or where the coach is headed), but the letter reads like one of a disgruntled salesman going to a new company telling customers they may want to consider following. Not trying to be unfair to the coach, but it sure reads that way to me. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This group will be playing U16 this fall..Should you really be starting over?
What if next season does not work out? U17 where?
I am with you Delta..Sounds just short of recruiting..
Anyone ask the girls want they want to do? Seems like the most important question to me..
Seems like there is only two parents sounding off from this team..Lowcountry soccer is better now than years past with a majority of strong players within one club..

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
How can it sound like a salesman when he is giving out the only two clubs in SC that offer a higher level of play than any other club. There is no way that both those clubs will hire him at the same time. He is not saying I am going to either of those clubs at all. That is what a real coach does when a player needs to be playing at a higher level and where that player is cannot offer it.

R
RMJ Offline
kick off
kick off
R
Scumpy please explain the beginning of your post promises were made and not kept? You post is letter as if Michael Townsend is the problem is that what you are saying?

Last edited by RMJ; 05/13/11 12:23 AM.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

I can't believe you spent time doing this today either.

I know, I really can't either. But I still don't think it was as big of a waste of time as posting about a coach I don't know leaving a club my child has never been a part of as she ages out of club soccer.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

How can it sound like a salesman when he is giving out the only two clubs in SC that offer a higher level of play than any other club. There is no way that both those clubs will hire him at the same time. He is not saying I am going to either of those clubs at all. That is what a real coach does when a player needs to be playing at a higher level and where that player is cannot offer it.

First, SCUMP offers just as high a level of play as the other two clubs mentioned as they already have teams in R3PLE as well as participate in major tournaments such as CASL and Disney.

Second, (my speculation/question) if the ECNL team in that group pulled out of R3PLE then even that SCUMP team would probably be able to play R3PLE next year as one of two teams from the state in the U-16 age group... would they apply?

And third, it doesn't sound as if a letter like that had been received by that team's parents before. If the coach was truly concerned about the level the team was playing to the point of advising the players to try other clubs, did he ever offer that advice before a decision was made that he would no longer coach that team? If so, well maybe that's why he won't be coaching there anymore, but if not... will be interesting to see where he lands. I think he suggested two clubs specifically and assured the parents he would let them know where he would land before tryouts were over?

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard