Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
brace
brace
B
Offside call:
I was sitting right on the line. Connor was initially offside and got back onside before making a second (barely) offside move. The call could have gone either way, though I think the AR barely got it right.
Similarly, the handball call that set up Irmo's goal could have been interpreted as ball-to-hand, but wasn't. A free kick was awarded, and a goal was scored.
What decided the game was simple: Wando was better than Irmo between 7 and 9 p.m. on Saturday night. Period.
They're BOTH excellent teams.

Goal
Goal
OK...let me preface this by again by saying...I'm not an Irmo fan!!!!

I too was right on the line (not looking through my camera and looking directly into the eyes of the LR across the field), and I saw the same thing as SoccersAnswer.
I think Irmo should have gotten the goal. When I heard the "thud" of the kick, Dunbaker was onsides.

But then again, I also beleive the mugging in the box should have gotten Wando a PK.

It was a great game to watch!

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
B
brace
brace
B
Even if he WAS onside -- and like I said, it was close -- you guys presume that a no-whistle-play-on would have resulted in a goal. I've seen at least half a dozen times this year when a kid went 1-v-1 on a keeper and shot the ball high/wide or saw the shot saved.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Even if he WAS onside -- and like I said, it was close -- you guys presume that a no-whistle-play-on would have resulted in a goal. I've seen at least half a dozen times this year when a kid went 1-v-1 on a keeper and shot the ball high/wide or saw the shot saved.

I agree...it was close and could have gone either way. I tend to favor the offense on close offside calls.
But, with that said, I don't recall the keeper letting up, or even knowing the LR signaled Offsides. I do however recall the ball going into the net.

(edited....darn, can't even spell with spell check on)

Last edited by HeTakesPictures; 05/24/11 05:13 PM.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
G
kick off
kick off
G
To take it a step further, I wonder if the Wando defenders could have hustled back into the box and backed up their keeper if they hadn't stopped on the offside whistle. I assume there was a whistle (I didn't hear it in the stands) because a lot of kids stopped and it appeared even Dunbaker hesitated.
SoccerAnswer, I disagree on the Sieverding header. From my view, he was pretty well-marked but simply outjumped and overpowered his defender.

B
brace
brace
B
Agreed on the Sieverding header. Great play by both Lunceford and Sieverding, to read the situation correctly and restart a shade quicker than expected.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

If you saw the 2A match, you would have seen a couple of those. Pro's miss too >> YouTube - Klose misses while in the 6yd Box <<

Quote:

I agree...it was close and could have gone either way. I tend to favor the offense on close offside calls.
But, with that said, I don't recall the keeper letting up, or even knowing the LR signaled Offsides. I do however recall the ball going into the net.

(edited....darn, can't even spell with spell check on)

They call the offside against Irmo, but the same exact situation occurred during the game for Wando EXCEPT they did not call Offsides when it was VERY VERY close. The attack for Wando's final goal, to my eyes, could have been offside. I looked at the AR and as he was running he started to pull the flag from under his arm to call it, but then put it back. I mean, it was a pretty good game. I really enjoyed it, but if they are going to make calls, be consistent. Then, by saying that we go back to the conversation of having a Ref Rating System to have some sort of consistency.

B
brace
brace
B
I actually was amazed the call WASN'T made on Wando's third goal. Not because it was or wasn't offside; but rather because several of Irmo's staff members were lobbying vigorously for the call.
As to consistency, you're talking two different ARs. It's not like the same guy missed (or made) both calls. If BOTH calls had gone Irmo's way, and had Connor actually finished, the score would have been 2-2.
One of the funnier comments I've read on this board regards hearing the "thud" of the kick while Connor was onside.
I mean, really?
The kid himself didn't even hear the whistle over the crowd. Darn, I should hear so well!
Anyway, to me, Connor Dunbaker was M-O-T-M for Irmo, whether he scored or not. He played hard throughout, even when some of his more renowned teammates did not.

W
goal
goal
W
"He played hard throughout, even when some of his more renowned teammates did not. " Backscreen 17

"that will just about cover the flybys!"- Goose

B
brace
brace
B
Too blunt, Coach?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard