Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Goal Kick
OP Offline
Goal Kick
D
Interesting development in Boiling Spprings with the Title IX lawsuit. I agree with some points in the lawsuit. Shin guards should be provided by the school. As a former coach at Boiling Springs I remember not getting equal access to facilities or equal amount of equipment. In my short coaching career at Boiling SPrings a 'acting' Athletic Director at Boiling Springs bought us some adidas swim shorts one year to play in. He told me we should show appreciation to him for getting us a good deal on shorts. Of course his team (another sport) got brand new uniforms (home and away) and new warm ups. Parents at Boiling Springs were very committed, very supportive and loyal. This lawsuit may improve equality in other programs in the state as well.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/2011052...female-athletes

C
Brace
Brace
C
Sounds like it is time for a new AD. If the school is found in violation, the will be looking for a new AD.

C
Coach
Coach
C
There are schools that provide shin guards for soccer players? Wow...can we make this a class action suit?

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in
I applaud whomever has initiated this action at BS. Long overdue IMO.

As for shinguards being provided ... Does baseball provide bat and glove? Does football provide helmet and pads? Does basketball provide shoes? Does golf provide clubs/balls? Just wondering.

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
It seems to me things like this lead to the AD. Some AD's care more about other sports over others, I dont think anyone can argue with that. If you have an AD that cares about all sports and trusts his coaches then you can have just as much as others. I have coached at a public school and the AD bascially allowed me to run the soccer program. He told me exactly how much $$ was in our budget and I could spend it however i saw fit. So if that meant buy cheap uniforms and save the rest for equipment or travel then ok or I could use it all and buy expensive Nike or Adidas uniforms. All I had to do was ask if we could use this or that and he would give me an answer. I wonder if some coaches are afraid to ask to use facilites because they assume "its for football"

S
kick off
kick off
S
Gee, maybe those 200 girls don't want to participate. Comparing non-revenue sports to football is ridiculous. Without football's revenue, how many of these programs would exist?

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Gee, maybe those 200 girls don't want to participate. Comparing non-revenue sports to football is ridiculous. Without football's revenue, how many of these programs would exist?

Not sure what school you reference, but I know of several schools who have more soccer players - girls/boys - than total football players which number around 70.

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Oh boy, here we go with the whole revenue/non-revenue crap. I would love to see how much money (on an excel sheet) football makes. Let's look at it. if the head coach makes 90K and the assistants are paid well too, let's assume 200K. Now add in travel (all three levels, so 5 busses a week), plus equipment cost (to have helmet referb, which is require every third year costs several thousand). Add it all together and you get around 350K. At $5 per ticket and 5 home games that would be 70K per game. So which school exactly have between 8 and 10 thousand fans per game??? Revenue, yeh, right!!!!

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
S
kick off
kick off
S
The soccer program at my school loses money period. Without money generated by football and boys basketball the program would not exist.

Very few high school football coaches make 90K. The numbers you cite are not the norm.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
In 2009, 132 of the 191 head football coaches made 60+K per year. Again, show me all the money being made?? To just cover the head coaches salary (which is what is listed) you would have to AVERAGE 2500 fans at every home game. That is just to pay for the head coach. No assistants, no gear, no travel, no refs, etc... Here is the link and I have to believe that the salaries have gone up not down.
http://www.thestate.com/2009/01/11/64687...amp;CPIorderBy=
Now do most schools make money on soccer, no. But it is also much less expensive to run. All the program coaches coaches make maybe, MAYBE 10K (and I doubt it is that high)and between refs, gear and travel a schoool may spend another 5K. So thats 15K for a minimum of 7 home games. Yep, may not make that back, BUT I'd guess that soccer loses less money!!!

Again show me a excel that includes salaries + all other costs, and show me the profit. This is not an SEC football program.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard