Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
goal kick
goal kick
U
I wonder how they account for cheerleading and dance teams? Do they include these as "sport" teams and consider the participates as athletes? If so you could certainly use these numbers to drive up the opportunity for girls at least on paper. Would the feds view these activities as sports?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

I wonder how they account for cheerleading and dance teams? Do they include these as "sport" teams and consider the participates as athletes? If so you could certainly use these numbers to drive up the opportunity for girls at least on paper. Would the feds view these activities as sports?

I'm pretty sure cheerleading would qualify as a sport since it's recognized by the SCHSL and there are competition teams. Not sure about a dance team though.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
The NCAA no longer considers it a sport for title IX purposes based on a federal court ruling so i would figure that the SCHSL would not have to either.

Goal
Goal
Cheering is in a class all by itself. First off, the only time it is competitive is when it enters "competitions", which are nothing more than cheering tourneys.

I don't consider cheerleading a sport at all. see this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38347400/ns/...t/#.ToOosuxm2So

I do consider the cheerleaders to be athletic.

Plus, as soon as a cheerleader gets their spot, by a panel of judges that have ZERO connection to the cheerleaders (Imagine if a bunch of people picked your soccer team for you and you had no say), they drop about 300+ dollars for all their initial costs and then everything else on top of that. Sounds more like a private club

I
goal
goal
I
The school is trying to count the cheerleaders in their count, not the color guard girls.

The primary purpose for our cheerleaders is, however, to support other athletic teams (football). I.E. they cheer for football more than they compete for themselves. A no no for the OCR to count them as pure athletic teams. (part of the 5 part test to qualify as a sport) Also there has been a rule in place at BSHS where you have to cheer for football or you will not be a varsity competition cheerleader. So, 100% of our varsity team are the same people, sideline and competition.

I am sure the cheerleaders want to be counted, desperate for respect. But, and this is a big but, they should hope that the OCR will not count them, this time. In the long run this would cause the crazy rule above to go away, and get them more support $ from the school. Right now it is vey much like Not so fast says, it is very club like, in a school program.

U
goal kick
goal kick
U
Any updates or anything new to report?

I
goal
goal
I
Nope, government lawyers are SLOOWWW

I
goal
goal
I
No answer yet, but if you want a good read... and in my opinion what will happen in BS,

Do a search, office of civil rights closes 10 year old Title IX case against Tacoma public schools.

Their particiaption numbers were superior to many SC schools.

I
goal
goal
I
Our AD stepped down this week, to spend time with his family and just be the football coach.

I
goal
goal
I
Look for an article in the Spartanburg Hearld Journal soon, couple of days. The school district was found guilty of discrimination for the lack of female athletic opportunities.

That goes for both high schools, Boiling Springs, and Chesnee. It also goes for their middle schools, Chesnee, Rainbow Lake, and Boiling Springs.

A monitoring agreement was signed by DR. (what a joke) Mercer, saying the school will report, allow follow up and visits, and the OCR will not shut the monitoring down until the schools can prove each and every school is compliant.

It may take a few years but they will have to begin to add girls teams EVERYWHERE! And fields, and locker rooms etc, to accomidate same.

Hint: if you are in Boiling Springs Middle school region, you probably are guilty too. If you are in the High schools region, you too. (if you have lacrosse, you may have a year or two of grace) The point is most schools have no balance for their overbloated football teams, and no plan to get there.

Big Hint: Their participation was 41% of their athletes were female. The average for the state is 37%. Hope everyone figures that hint out.

If you do not like this, thank Dr. Mercer, Chuck Gordon, and Bruce Clark for not adding one C team for girls soccer.

ONE stinking team.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard