Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19
T
TSO Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
T
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/hig...M59G_story.html

I really hope this doesn't happen here. I think it is a joke it is happening anywhere. The reason Europe and South America are ahead of us in soccer has more to do with the fact that it is their #1 sport and all the inner city kids play it, not because we balance club and HS. Most players here would rather play xbox then go practice by themselves for hours at a time like basketball players.

If AAU and high school basketball can coexist, I see no reason academy and high school soccer can't as well. The atmosphere is much better in school sports and it is a great experience.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
It'll happen soon enough may take a couple years to get the east coast regions to go along with it, but it will eventually come to this point I have a feeling. Its a double edge sword it has pros and cons to both sides meaning HS coaches and fans will hate it, academy teams will love it. Guess time will tell!

Clark McCarthy
University of South Carolina
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach
Goal
Goal
Even if that does happen in South Carolina, high school soccer isn't going to disappear. Only the top 1% (just a guess) play at that academy level. If they weren't allowed to play high school, that would open up a few spots for other kids and might level the playing field a little for middle of the pack schools like mine.

B
brace
brace
B
A case can be made either way.
Current Wando players on the 2011-12 Academy U16 and U18 rosters (with apologies to any I may have missed):
Carlin, Cepeda, Clark, Danna, Davis, Eskinazi, Jablonski, King, Wichmann.
Among other high schools represented are Irmo, Cardinal Newman, Fort Dorchester, Carolina Forest, South Aiken, Myrtle Beach, Bishop England, James Island, etc. Again, this isn't ALL of the high schools represented.
I don't have the Academy rosters in front of me, but I'm thinking we're talking about a grand total of fewer than 40 kids on the two teams, including several from Georgia.
So yes, the field may be leveled in terms of a small group of schools with maximum exposure to Academy training.
I would ask though: Is the idea to "level" the field by effectively reducing the H.S. talent pool, or SHOULD IT BE for laggard high school programs to dig in and improve by hiring competent, committed staff?
Discuss.

B
brace
brace
B
By the way, Alister, that wasn't a shot at you or Stratford, 'cause I know you and your kids are busting it. But Goose Creek certainly comes to mind.

Goal
Goal
By no means did I take that as a shot at my program. I understand what you are saying. I hate the idea that these kids might be made to choose one over the other. Personally, I hate the misconception that kids can't get recruited playing on "average" club and high school teams. Sure it might take a little more work but kids can get into college and play. I have kids in my program that believe they need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars per season to play on these academy teams in order to be seen. Sure some of the kids on these teams are going to get full rides to some of the big schools but most will end up with partial scholarships to smaller schools. I know parents that have spent upwards of $10,000 for their kid to play club and the kids ended up with a $1500 scholarship to a small division 2 school.
Sorry...got off track..
Watering down the talent pool isn't what I want. I would rather never win a region championship than to see that happen.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Given the atmosphere during the playoffs(even when fighting for region championships) and especially during state finals, the technical training and coaching available at alot of the top schools, the team relationships forged representing your school, the Academy people may be surprised at decisions young men may make if forced into a corner.
Many of the strong Academy players have been contacted by College's(by the time they are sophomores in some cases)and offers extended---so what would be the enticement of staying?
Let's see?--weekends off, still get to play for my high school, my parents save a ton of $--perhaps some of which they may send my way.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I would ask though: Is the idea to "level" the field by effectively reducing the H.S. talent pool, or SHOULD IT BE for laggard high school programs to dig in and improve by hiring competent, committed staff?
Discuss.

I think it would be interesting to see if the dynamic would change if high school soccer programs competed like high school football programs--each high school coaching staff entirely responsible for training and coaching its own players. No matter how committed a staff is, a mostly stand-alone program is at a distinct disadvantage when faced with an equally committed program whose players ALSO are trained and compete at a high level during the other months of the year--not just during the allowed high school training/competition season.

I understand entirely what you mean about the need for high school programs to have competent, committed staff, and I couldn't agree more--and given the nature of soccer competition, programs can help "level the playing field" not only by working towards maximum player development within their own programs, but also by encouraging rather than discouraging players to participate in activities and opportunities--even outside their own programs--that provide for positive player development and experience.

I've got good news and bad news...
goal
goal
Coach Pelton, I realize this is just an example, but are you asking what would be the enticement for staying in the Academy (versus, I suppose, playing solely for his/her high school team) for a high school sophomore who has already committed to a particular college?

A
Goal
Goal
A
Admitidly, I am not sure of the Academy format, but I am assuming they are playing in the Fall and Spring. I don't question that the individual talent level in Academy is probably superior, but geography must limit training schedules to some extent.
How much is a player(already commited to a D1 school) really missing being able to train daily with a Wando or Irmo or NW(or a similar program in the Spring)vs limited training with Academy teams. Not much I think.
I apologise ahead of time if my understanding of the Academy format is in error.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard