Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

having coached yth baseball, hoops & soccer, soccer was always the default sport that we would guide those boys/girls into when we knew the hand/eye coordination was too frustrating for them. everyone can run & kick a ball & can usually experience some success at the yth level, & gain confidence to work hard & move up, ... baseball & hoops...not so much.

And therein lies the problem with soccer in our country!

Sandman .... shhhh.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

having coached yth baseball, hoops & soccer, soccer was always the default sport that we would guide those boys/girls into when we knew the hand/eye coordination was too frustrating for them. everyone can run & kick a ball & can usually experience some success at the yth level, & gain confidence to work hard & move up, ... baseball & hoops...not so much.

And therein lies the problem with soccer in our country!

Sandman .... shhhh.

exactly, lets pay coaches & doc's a very comfortable living to make us parents feel good at the watercooler monday morning about our kids who wouldn't get off the xbox & their lazy az to play a sport if we weren't paying top $ to get a warm fuzzy & bragging rights.
sorry but you will never convince me that the current state of yth sports makes sense.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I can tell you that a lot of soccer kids can not judge a ball in the air. Why is that?

A little experience with baseball/softball works wonders for that.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
goal
S
one of my biggest coaching secrets is never put a player in goal that hasn't played hoops, vball, baseball or softball.

can't go wrong with that rule.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Seriously, it helps...basketball works on quick hands, and baseball/softball teach judging that ball in the air...when a keeper has played in the outfield, they understand that concept of "high fly ball, your first step is backwards" and they don't get chipped nearly as often. When it's sailing over their heads into the net and I say, "Hey, have you ever played baseball/softball?" and they just look at me funny, I know we're in for a long session.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Seriously, it helps...basketball works on quick hands, and baseball/softball teach judging that ball in the air...when a keeper has played in the outfield, they understand that concept of "high fly ball, your first step is backwards" and they don't get chipped nearly as often. When it's sailing over their heads into the net and I say, "Hey, have you ever played baseball/softball?" and they just look at me funny, I know we're in for a long session.

i've suffered thro the past 2 seasons with a very game keeper that would take a bullet for the team, but no hands to speak of, never played a hands sport, depth perception or figuring out that chip or long ball is nill. my fullbacks hate me when i give the bs halftime speech that its never the keepers fault.
i sleep with one eye open.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Best thing I ever did for my eldest daughter's soccer game was sign her up for a winter basketball season when she was 8 or 9.

The small space, constant activity, bustle, and physical contact completely changed her style of play the next spring. More agressive, assertive, and willing to engage quickly.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
brace
brace
Your Pop Warner team works on line stunts and audibles with shifting D-back coverage!? Kids have so much more to learn these days! Next we'll be teaching Calculus and Chemistry in third grade! I miss the days when kids could play three sports and have fun all year while learning lot of different skills, guess those days are gone forever.

C
Coach
Coach
C
You joke, but our honors kids are earning high school credits starting in 7th grade now...we keep pushing them farther earlier.

Reminds me from a quote from Willa Cather back around the turn of the 20th Century...

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."

brace
brace
Yes, I know and there are 9th graders earning AP credits too only a matter of time till someone figures there is not much difference between 9th and 8th graders sop why not let them too. Soon after we can start IB program in 6th grade and kids can graduate HS and college at same time . Of course they will not have time for HS sports so it will be a good thing they can just do Academy! Thought I should get a little back on topic.

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard