Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
H
goal
goal
H
Coach:

IMG is pay to play (like Darlington Soccer Academy, Shattuck St. Marys, etc.) and shouldn't be confused with the USSF Residency program, also in Bradenton. The Residency kids are selected by the Federation youth national team coaches (primary focus is on U-17 team).

Goal
Goal
Thanks. I thought they were one in the same.

Maybe they should take the kids out of high school and each state have a Residency Program and have them play one another. That way they wouldn't be students at a high school and wouldn't have the option. They could divide the country into regions and play one another.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Maybe they should take the kids out of high school and each state have a Residency Program and have them play one another. That way they wouldn't be students at a high school and wouldn't have the option. They could divide the country into regions and play one another. [/quote

I would think that the pro clubs would have to get involved for this to happen. It would not be cheap! But more playing a being evaluated is what the DA is trying to do. ODP was not the answer, what is ? I think we are still working on that as a country. I have also noticed some new leagues forming for those who can not make DA, any idea on how will this will work with mostly tournament play for these kids. They are only playing one game a day, and using many of the same rules by the DA. Is this going to be the D2 of the DA? ( play on words. )

throw in
throw in
Can someone post the Academy players and what schools they play for? I think it would be interesting to see the results.

We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought.
H
goal
goal
H
Next year's rosters are at link on left. This year's are found by clicking men's program link at left: http://scunitedda.com

Someone else will have to match with schools because I couldn't do it.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

I guess I have not done a good job of making my point, but you have helped me make it on a couple of levels.
First and foremost, I don't want to come accross as attacking the Academy format. I do hope this model works.

As I have reviewed my posts,I realize I don't want to come accross as a "know it all negative" and I feel that I have.

Look at Dempseys story again. He wasn't recruited by the Texans, he was there watching his brothers tryout when he was noticed playing with a ball on the sideline.

Look at the ages of the players in your own post. They are basically 13-15 when they are exposed to elite club or Academy. My entire point is that all of these players developed probably 7-8 years playing what we might call "street ball" DAILY and that for us is IMO tough to overcome.

13 of the first 15 years of my life were spent in Scotland and Germany and the constant pick-up games going on everywhere(I mean literally everywhere) is what we are fighting here and my fear here is that we may never catch up.

But when you look at the rest of the world and look at their 2nd and 3rd choices in the sports world, I think you have part of the answer. Rugby, cricket, a smattering of Formula 1. I will have to say basketball is starting to come on in certain parts of Europe.

We have so many good and popular sports here in the US, that I realize soccer will never be number one or even two and many of you are right--funding is inadequate.

In short, we do have to do something. I do hope Academy will help develop future US stars and was wrong to attack this attempt.

You give me too much credit as I don't think I have made your point at all. That is if we focus our discussion on whether Academy training is crucial for the development of skilled high school aged players.

All the star players we discussed above benefited from a highly structured training program comparable to the USSDA academy during their high school age. What we are saying is provide the same for our South Carolina Academy players without the interruption of non-standardized training that is representative of the high school soccer season.

I think we are all in agreement that we need to start the identification process much earlier than at academy or pre-academy age. However on the subject of adhoc play (unstructured training) as a prerequisite for development, I don't neccessarily agree with you because the evidence is not conclusive.

Unstructured training may have played a role in the development of some stars but that doesn't mean that structured development (had it been available at that age) would not have achieved the same results.

A good example of this is Ajax dutch academy system where young lads are identified as early as 7 to 8 years old and are brought in to engage in structured development.

G
kick off
kick off
G
I checked the roster and the players listed are nowhere near the most talented players in the state. Some of them played club and didnt even start so their parents, who thought they were bettter than they were, had them try out at Columbia United and they made it. Trust me the Premier teams at the club level ie CESA, Mount Pleasant have much better talent. Just look at the D-1 signees and you can tell. The most talented junior in the state, Cole Seiler, plays club, so does the best Sophmore, Austin Burnikel, as well as the best freshman,Conner Donahue.

S
kick off
kick off
S
goldeneagle86
Do you feel better now that you have put the USSDA Academy in its place? Aren't these players all from the Greenville area? Aren't they all CESA players. What do you suggest the academy to do to have these players move to the academy? Bribe them, go crawling to CESA and beg for them? Patrick Khouri, the number one freshman according to TopDrawerSoccer (before they pulled their 2014 rankings) is not playing academy either.

Did any of these players show up for the academy tryouts and the academy staff just refused to take them as talented as they are according to your ratings?

As far as player ratings go, there is a lot of subjectivity especially at this age.

G
kick off
kick off
G
No it doesnt make me feel better i think that the various clubs should work together instead of being in it just for the $. No these players are satisfied where they are and by the way Khouri is playing for CESA also, he bypassed Columbia and went to Greenville, the kid he will be replacing went to Columbia rather than staying where he was.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Totally agree with the need to work together. As far as I am concerned, CESA is a premier club which provides great development opportunities for its players. If a player chooses to stay at CESA and not go to the academy because they feel their needs are met I have no problem whatsover with that. Especially so for players who already have avenues to the national team. In fact I think it is a win-win situation, as it is almost the same as having two academies in the state ==> Hey, more development opportunities for the lads. What I wish for these CESA premier players is the same as what I have already stated for academy players: 10 months of high level training without the interruption of high school soccer.

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard