Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
world cup
world cup
Quote:

High school kids typically aren't allowed to play two school sports in the same season. If you play football, you can't also run cross country. If you play baseball, you can't also play soccer.

To me that is a better parallel.

I wish that girl from Hilton Head would have adhered to the norm, rather than the exception.

http://sc.milesplit.com/athletes/71675

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
A
Goal
Goal
A
Not to contradict Belligerant's example but how many other countries on the planet play American football?
Last 2 World Baseball Championships(which were hosted by us) 1 fourth place finish.
World Basketball Ch. held every 4 years since 1950, won by us 4 times.
As recently as 2006, FIFA ranked the US 4th in the world out of over 200--not bad.

J
bench
bench
J
Quote:

How many parents of academically gifted students would tell their child not to take AP classes, but instead take CP classes so they could be in class with their friends?

Let me re-phrase.....why not argue for the elimination of Honors and AP level classes and simply offer CP or TP classes?

Big Daddy Maybe this is just me and my experience, but every kid that qualifies for AP classes can take AP classes, with minor exceptions. As has been stated many times in the post, all the best players are not playing DA. And you or someone else tried to make the excuse that it could be money, timing, family conflicts while leaving out another major factor. The kids are intentionally left off because they are from the wrong area, wrong school, would replace a popular but not as good player etc. Do not make it like this is an altruistic league with no personal axes to grind. If you are going to use the AP argument then let all the kids that qualify play DA or find a better way to select players then the current highly flawed method.

A
Goal
Goal
A
I realize the major theme of this thread involves the Academy vs High School but seems to have sidebarred into the inadequate player development here vs the rest of the competitive world and it got me to thinking.
We have qualified for every World Cup since 1990, defeated #1(in the world at that time) and current World Cup holder, Spain 2-0 on nuetral ground( breaking a 35 game unbeaten streak)in a game we dominated.
Two days later we lost 3-2 to 5 time World Cup champ Brasil--all of this, 20 months ago.
We won our group in World Cup play( first time ever) and lost 2-1 on a late goal in elimination play.
Obviously our player development is in shambles.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

I realize the major theme of this thread involves the Academy vs High School but seems to have sidebarred into the inadequate player development here vs the rest of the competitive world and it got me to thinking.
We have qualified for every World Cup since 1990, defeated #1(in the world at that time) and current World Cup holder, Spain 2-0 on nuetral ground( breaking a 35 game unbeaten streak)in a game we dominated.
Two days later we lost 3-2 to 5 time World Cup champ Brasil--all of this, 20 months ago.
We won our group in World Cup play( first time ever) and lost 2-1 on a late goal in elimination play.
Obviously our player development is in shambles.

Amen Anthony! I made this same statement earlier. Just because other parts of the world do it a certain way, doesn't mean it works for all. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I'd love to see results of teams trying to implement "Barcelona" style soccer without the Barcelona type of players. I can tell you what the result is going to be.

I would be interested in a copy of the email that was sent out stating that high school soccer would not be an option for Developmental Academy players. I'd like to read it for myself. Please forward to kheise@sc.rr.com. Thanks!

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

High school kids typically aren't allowed to play two school sports in the same season. If you play football, you can't also run cross country. If you play baseball, you can't also play soccer.

To me that is a better parallel.

I wish that girl from Hilton Head would have adhered to the norm, rather than the exception.

http://sc.milesplit.com/athletes/71675

thats a girl with great time mgt, good for her!
she's not even built like the typical 5000 meter maid

G
kick off
kick off
G
The US has the best sports in the world? Gee baseball has some pretty dominant players from other countries, our pro hoopsters seem to struggle when they play against european teams and have to follow the rules that were invented here like not travelling. The only one i will give you is football because it isnt played elsewhere and if it is (canada) it is played by guys who couldnt make it in the nfl.
Very good article in espn mag written by an NBA player that may shed some light--he reaches the conclusion that the real problem with american sports is that our coaches tend to live off their players natural abilities rather than trying to develop new abilities and skills. Ever hear of Dirk Nowitzki? He was a soccer star before turning to basketball. What makes him unique is that he can dribble, shoot, AND rebound despite being almost 7 feeet tall. Heck Shaq can rebound but he cant even walk without tripping over his feet. Why because all of his coaches from youth up saw a tall guy and stuck him in the middle to rebound and never taught him other skills.
I will stop rambling but my point is HS is the only place (with theexception of private schools) where coaches have to work with what they get. CLub,academy, college etc.. always try to find players and plug them in to certain positions instead of training them to play the game at any position.

Goal
Goal
I have two players that are in the "Academy Pool" in Mt. Pleasant and one of their parents told me that they were told that they had to be "in the pool" for a year before they would be considered for the actual team. I wonder if anyone else had heard this.

S
goal
goal
S
what pool$ are you talking about

Goal
Goal
My high school players tried out for the Academy teams that are organized through Mt. Pleasant. I noticed that the teams were already listed on the website before they even went to tryout. When they got there, they were told they would have to train in the "pool" of players for a year before they would be considered. Which means they are wanting these kids to come in a play on the "elite" teams for the SCU-MP for a year before being considered.
I just wondered if this parent was mistaken of if this was true. It seems of a way to make kids come play for that club with the hope to make the Academy team but if they weren't good enough to make it at U-16, what are the chances they will make it next year?
Maybe if they skip the high school season, since I am going to hinder their development apparently, they will make it.

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard