Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
H
goal
goal
H
No email has been sent to SCUtd DA players regarding HS soccer. There's no reason to gin up the rumor mill. As I have said, I think the day will come when all DA players will be required to choose between Academy and HS, as has happened in other parts of the country. But it won't be as soon as 2012 in South Carolina.

Regarding "pool" players: There is no such thing. DA teams have "full-time" players and "developmental players." Developmental players are limited in the number of appearances they are allowed to make, and they pay commensurately lower fees. They are, however, free to train with the team as much as possible. Developmental players are required by DA rules to play for a DA club. If they prefer to play their club soccer at a different club, that's fine - but they can't be a Developmental player for an Academy team. There is no rule or practice of requiring a player to spend a certain amount of time as a Developmental player. Some will transition quickly to full-time, some slowly, and some not at all.

All coaches are encouraged to recommend potential DA players to Coach Strickland, Director of Coaching for ScUtd FC DA. Our coaches are continuously on the lookout for players, but no doubt miss a few.

Finally, I have not suggested that any HS coach(es) is or are the issue. The theory that informs the concept of year 'round Academy has far more to do with continuity of training in the Federation manner, and, most importantly, continuity of very high level competition.

Rather than perpetuate rumors, please contact Rob Strickland if you have real questions.

Last edited by HappyDaddy; 05/31/11 01:41 AM.
A
Goal
Goal
A
No one said players had been sent emails. I said I had received a few--all saying players would be told(for the third time). I have no idea when it will be done or if it will be done.

H
goal
goal
H
Good grief. I'm telling you they haven't gotten any emails and won't be getting any emails (or any other communications) telling them they can't play HS in 2012. After that, I can't say, because I don't know. If you or they have any questions, for the third time, call Rob Strickland.

S
goal
goal
S
delong:
no, you mu$t be mi$taken, youth $occer i$ very altrui$tic & all about developing our young player$ for the good ole red/white & blue.
nothing fi$hy here folk$, ju$t move along....& $upport your local club of cour$e.

Last edited by sandman; 05/31/11 02:56 AM.
T
bench
bench
T
It's crazy how this topic is spreading. Even ESPN has decided to write a article on it.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6520002/mls-academies-kill-college-game-soccer

They also seem to point out that year round Academy programs that start recruiting young kids might drain the college talent pool. One of the biggest draft systems we have in America might change for soccer. Any thoughts on this?

S
goal
goal
S
Until the Academy begins to actually use it's developmental pool players in any meaningful way they will struggle with a negative perception. Players must feel as if they are part of something and not just another number.

Does the academy select the most skilled players or do they put together a team with their invites? A defensive player may be selected over a more skilled forward due to team mix. A team player may be passed over in favor of a kid from a bigger school because of normal biais.

Ultimately the goal is to build the best possible national team through this program. In my opinion the Academy needs to learn team building. More coaches need to get into a players head and what triggers their motivation.

I like the fact they are now selecting players rather than basing it on a two day tryout.

Goal
Goal
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

In American sports, the way to the pros is through college. That is just always the way it has been.
Soccer, that isn't the case. You can be 20 years old and be the best player in the world. Is this true for any other sport? Maybe tennis? (Tennis doesn't really apply to the USA but best example I could think of) I think for most sports, players don't hit their prime until mid 20's (see Lebron James/Tiger Woods).

Society says "You have to go to college in order to be successful" but is that really the case when it comes to pro athletes?

What if they blow their knee out and can't play any more?

Then they can go to college like the rest of us. You don't miss out on college just because you don't enroll when you are 18. Sure you might be the "old" person in the class but you can still go.

Sure the average person, like myself, needed to go to college to have a decent job. 17 year old kids, that may or may not be in their prime should live the dream while they have the chance.

Younger pros? Is that the answer?

Is their a difference in the MLS Academy's and the one that is here in Charleston?

H
goal
goal
H
Quote:

Is their a difference in the MLS Academy's and the one that is here in Charleston?

Yes and no. Most (perhaps all) MLS clubs have a youth academy program similar to those at professional European and Latin American clubs. Most, (perhaps all) of those MLS academy programs include teams that participate in the US Soccer Development Academy program. So, they are literally different, but greatly overlap.

B
brace
brace
B
Academy is a good thing. Club is a good thing. High school is a good thing. It would be a shame if one (or two) crowded out the other.
Separate point: Comments about the relative merits of players in this state are misguided at best. Example: Cole Seiler is a very good player who (no doubt) would play for the U18 Academy side. Conversely, a bunch of U18 Academy kids would start for Cole's club side. My point is, NOBODY among the top 30-or-so 93s and 94s is so good that he serves as a stellar example of a single "right" way to develop youth players.
And that includes such anointed "stars" as young Master Khouri.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
FWIW ... I've been informed by folks from the Development Academy that under NO circumstances has any email been sent that stated that a player had to quit high school soccer if involved with DA for next year.

Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard