brace
brace
B
Correct. And that you, Kevin.

J
Brace
Brace
J
Does it even matter? in about 5 years, they will devise some new program that will be "better" than the academies. I always like how the soccer leaders in this country put a new name or label on a soccer team, and it is all of a sudden better.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
goal
goal
Ok, golden and Coach Pelton, how about this then: where do the best football, baseball and basketball players in the world want to play, given their first choice? (in general) I submit that the location they all want to play is somewhere in the U.S., not Canada, Europe or elsewhere. I don't recall any of our best athletes in those sports leaving the country to play, but I do believe some of the best come here. Again, I'm sure you can point out exceptions to the rule, but I don't believe that to be the case for the most part.

B
brace
brace
B
For what it's worth, the path to American professional sports is evolving continually, and does not NECESSARILY include college.
In baseball, for example, many top American prospects sign their first pro contracts straight out of high school. Many choose the college route, but comparatively few of those stay four years.
In basketball, college if a mere formality for the best (one-and-done) prospects. Some H.S. kids now actually begin their pro careers with European clubs, rather than spend a year in college.
Football is the best example of college offering a de facto minor league system, largely due to NFL draft rules negotiated as part of the league's CBA.
Most North American kids in the NHL played at least some Major Junior hockey, mixed with college hockey. But again, the cream of the crop is entering the league in their teens.
To bring this back to the thread, I would point out that soccer's adherents are way too quick to consign "prospects" to the scrap heap in their middle or late teens, when every other professional sport recognizes the potential for development in later years.

goal
goal
Soccer16,

What makes you think the Academy does not currently use it’s developmental “pool” players in any “meaningful way?” Is this the opinion of a current developmental player (or parent) you have spoken to, your personal opinion, or something else? And what exactly do you mean by “meaningful way”? Keep in mind that the developmental players typically play on other teams that are their number one priorities. They go to Academy games/practices when it works for them.

Regarding team selection, is there a player you feel should be on the roster who is not? If so, do you know for a fact they were not offered a spot? (vs them being offered a spot, and deciding to go another route) Looking at the number of players on the rosters, I would have a very difficult time believing there is a deserving player out there who tried out, but was not offered a spot. I would more easily believe that after or during tryouts, but prior to the rosters being posted, the player (and parents) discussed their situation with the staff, and decided to go in another direction (for whatever reasons). I’m not going to tell you it did not happen, stated as a fact; I would just have a hard time believing it based on what/who I know (which is certainly not everyone & everything) and the amount of time we’ve been involved.

I'm also not sure what you mean by school bias – there are players who attend schools that range from the smallest (including AC Flora) to the largest, with everything in between.

B
brace
brace
B
FWIW, I'll gripe as soon as anyone here, and I haven't seen a major problem with Academy as pertains to player selection, player development, playing time, and promotion of DP players to FT status.
Opportunities to "try out" are pretty clearly advertised, and (in general) a good number of kids turn out. Those who are slotted into the Developmental Pool receive opportunities to train and occasionally play with the Full-Time kids. Kids who stick with it have a fair shot at promotion on a permanent basis.
My impression is, some very good players choose NOT to play Academy soccer for perfectly good reasons: existing club affiliation, time-management, cost, etc. Academy is not for everyone. Nor is CESA, SCUMP, etc., etc., etc. Good players find their place with the situation OF THEIR CHOICE.

J
Brace
Brace
J
There have been kids at some of the better high school talking about whether or not the academy teams were benefical to them. I am sure that you will probably get some that will just bow out of playing academy ball to play elsewhere that allows them some choices.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
G
kick off
kick off
G
Lets not single kids out - FYI you are wrong about a few things - Seiler could easily play on the DA team but many of the DA players could NOT make his current team - some tried and didnt get picked so they wound up at the DA. Also Kouri now plays for a team that is head and shoulders above the DA team in his age group which also has several players who couldnt make that team. The teams that Seiler and Kouri now play for dont go out and activeley "recruit" new players they rely on their reputations to do the recruiting.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
goldeneagle, i think you're wrong.

Cole Seiler is a great player....but my guess is that his not playing in the Academy has a lot more to do with where he lives, then it does anything else.

GSP kids have to drive to Columbia or Orangeburg to train. Or Charlotte or Atlanta. Thats a long haul. For a highly talented kid that lives in the middle of nowhere, maybe thats a card you play. But for a kid that lives in the middle of CESA country, when confronted with the choice of CESA with limited travel to practice, versus Academy and huge travel, 3-4 nights a week.....its a no brainer.

Has nothing to do with which program is better.

This whole thread....isn't about the comparative merits of CESA, DISA, MESA, or.....uh, the Academy. Gotta get an end vowel on that last one.

The thread is about.....the merits of year round training for the Academy, versus the current mix of Academy and HS. You extend that to year round level club if you want to and substitute CESA for Academy and its a similar argument.

The rest of it is just "my dad is stronger than your dad....."

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
One other comment......CESA was offered an Academy slot in Yr 1 and turned it down. They applied for the Academy last year I believe, and they were turned down becasue of oversaturation in the southeast. Hopefully soon.....that will change and CESA will be in the Academy.

If CESA were Academy......then all the CESA kids would be in the Academy mix and the "my dad is stronger than your dad" argument would be moot. Would be interesting to see of SC could support 2 Academy teams.

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard