Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
B
brace
brace
B
GOLDENEAGLE86: Please reread what I posted.

Example: Cole Seiler is a very good player who (no doubt) would play for the U18 Academy side. Conversely, a bunch of U18 Academy kids would start for Cole's club side. My point is, NOBODY among the top 30-or-so 93s and 94s is so good that he serves as a stellar example of a single "right" way to develop youth players.
And that includes such anointed "stars" as young Master Khouri.

What's the beef?

S
goal
goal
S
Belligerent - my answer to your questions is personal experience. Just curious but how is the Academy developing these players? And when you say "when it works for them?" to whom are you referring the players or coaches? Hmmm?

As to the selection method I have no beef with their past selections. I just don't believe that a two day tryout is adequate for any elite team selection. Now remember they have changed the selection process this year. I have passed on my belief that a Individualized Training/Promotion Plan should be used by the clubs. Public schools have an IEP for each student passed from teacher to teacher year to year with input. A soccer player than could build a profile for future selections based on past performance as well as a tryout. This would give all coaches (from years gone by, relocated coaches, etc.) to have input and take into consideration game situations, handling of pressure, and composure.

There is a bias toward larger schools fielding better players. Overall a larger school is able to field a complete team and should be more successful. How does a good small school player show his skills when surrounded by lesser quality players as compared to those at a larger school. In a team sport it is very difficult and I am not saying this is the case. As noted on other posts reporters and fans tend to go to larger school games. Fair or not the view of a player from Irmo (or any large school) will be given greater credence than a small school since coaches are unable to attend many opposing teams games, etc.

I hope my discussion adds some clarity to my previous post. I believe the academy is a worthwhile venture for the future of soccer. It just wasn't very helpful in my situation. I am sure it will improve over time ...I just don't have time.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I really don't have any clue what you are talking about. I really don't think where a kid goes to high school matters a whit to these guys. Big school/small school is irrelevant if the kid can play.

I know for a fact that Academy coaches go to non Academy games to look at prospective players. I know for a fact that interested players are always welcome to contact Academy coaches and come participate in training sessions. There is a lot more to the selection process than a 1 or 2 day tryout process.

Not sure about your IEP proposal either. My son gets a formal review at the end of every year and he gets several informal reviews during the course of the year. Not sure the Academy coaches really care about about what someone's u11 or u13 coach thought about them. Or their high school coach for that matter. They see what they see.

This isn't directed at you Soccer16.....just a general comment. I'm really amazed when I read some of the comments on this thread at the total lack of understanding
of what Academy is and what its not.

Some of it is the readers and contributors to this forum having a primarily HS bent to their experiences. Another part of it is that the club that has historically been the most successful at the highest level in the state (CESA), doesn't participate in Academy.

I would say this.......anyone with a kid who is 14-15 years old or older who is a pretty good player, if you are within an hour of an Academy program, you owe it to yourself to make arrangements to train several times in a row with one of the teams. Compare that training.....to what you get elsewhere. I have YET to meet a kid who didn't step off an Academy training field at the end of a session that didn't say Wow. And that comment includes kids who play region 3.

The top kids at CESA or DISA or MESA....can play anywhere. The difference in Academy is the depth and breadth of talent on the field and that competitive aspect is what fires the intensity of the training sessions. Don't believe it? Think its someone drinking the koolaid? Then take your kid and go check it out for yourself.

And if your a coach....high school or other wise...pretty certain you would be welcome to go observe a session or 2.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I don't think the real question in this thread is about the quality of Academy training...I can only speak for myself, but I'm certain it is of top quality and highly beneficial. That was never an issue as far as I'm concerned. My only question is, in order for a player to get ANY of that top-quality Academy training, is it necessary for them to get it TO THE EXCLUSION OF EVERYTHING ELSE...or can we provide opportunities for them to take advantage of this great training and still leave room for them to exercise other options as well? Must it be all-year-all-Academy-or-nothing?

I've got good news and bad news...
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

...pretty certain you would be welcome to go observe a session or 2.

You can learn a lot just by observing.

Thank you for the invite, I would enjoy that. It is easy to get locked into our own training grounds and not having or making the time to venture out.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I don't think the real question in this thread is about the quality of Academy training...I can only speak for myself, but I'm certain it is of top quality and highly beneficial. That was never an issue as far as I'm concerned. My only question is, in order for a player to get ANY of that top-quality Academy training, is it necessary for them to get it TO THE EXCLUSION OF EVERYTHING ELSE...or can we provide opportunities for them to take advantage of this great training and still leave room for them to exercise other options as well? Must it be all-year-all-Academy-or-nothing?

Honestly no. In between school and soccer thats all my son has time for. If he was a talented soccer player and also a talented musician or into drama or another sport....and he really wanted to chase more than 1 dream, then Academy probably isn't the right path. And thats without a year round program.

He hasn't played another sport since 7th grade basketball becasue of soccer. And that soccer interference predates his Academy participation.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

...pretty certain you would be welcome to go observe a session or 2.

You can learn a lot just by observing.

Thank you for the invite, I would enjoy that. It is easy to get locked into our own training grounds and not having or making the time to venture out.

Not an invite. Just an observation. If you want an invite...contact one of the Academy programs and make your request. Others do it......if you are interested, go for it.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Honestly no. In between school and soccer thats all my son has time for. If he was a talented soccer player and also a talented musician or into drama or another sport....and he really wanted to chase women, then Academy probably isn't the right path. And thats without a year round program.

Wow. I thought he was a "ladies man"! Like his dad!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
You're a mess Hurst.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

You're a mess Hurst.

Yeah...you're probably right. It's been a rough week.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard