Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19
goal
goal
Soccer16, "when it works for them" was a poor choice of words on my part. I couldn't think of the right words at the time, and just threw that in. To expound (and Big Daddy, or whomever, please correct me if I'm wrong on this), a Developmental Player's first obligation is to their regular club team (again, I use the term "regular" for lack of a better one), i.e., their regular club team's practices and matches always come first. If there is an Academy practice or match on a particular day, and the player's regular club team does not have anything scheduled, then the Developmental player can attend the Academy event. Now, there could be a conflict between the two, and the player choose to attend the Academy event, but I believe Academy personnel will pretty much always tell a player to attend their regular club event (practice/game). Does that clarify?

Are you serious when you ask me "how is the Academy developing these players?" Maybe Daddy can cover that one; that's a whole nuther thread, and several pages by itself. I mean, I personally feel comfortable in my son's coaches' abilities to train him properly; but come on, US Soccer sends representatives to evaluate Academy training sessions on a regular basis. And they certainly don't mind pointing out things they don't like. These evaluators are pretty high-level coaches themselves – you think you know more than them? I dang sure don't.

I agree with Daddy regarding your comments on bias. Just look at the rosters – there are kids from schools of all sizes – and trust me, some of the schools these kids play for are terrible (I am not naming names here, and that has nothing – well, maybe a little, to do with their respective coaches). In fact, there is currently a full time player from AC Flora (NOT saying AC Flora is terrible) – so I'm really not sure where you're getting the big/small school thing from.

I do think I know what you're alluding to regarding IEPs and promotion plans (whatever that stuff is); you have posted before about how you don't like the varying/different processes for choosing rosters from club to club. As it relates to the Academy, I don't think you really gave it enough time to be able to form an educated opinion. If I recall correctly, your son made it to a handful of practices; maybe a half-dozen? And he played in the match in NC the day after the high school state championships last year? (and I thought he played well, having been to so few practices). If I am at least in the ballpark with the number of training sessions he attended, I'm not sure exactly what you were expecting. My son rarely missed a training session last season, but he sat the bench a good portion of the time. There were a good number of very good midfielders on that roster – are you thinking that 5 or 6 good practices, and your son was going to be taking over the position of a player who'd been training 4-days-a-week for months?

Honestly, I think if you had truly given it more time, you would have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of playing time he would get; I just don't think you gave it nearly enough time.

C
Brace
Brace
C

He hasn't played another sport since 7th grade basketball becasue of soccer. And that soccer interference predates his Academy participation.

As a coach and teacher for 20 years, it is hard for me to understand why a kid who is 13 or 14 should only play one sport. If this is the direction we are going, then a lot of kids will miss out on what sports has to offer. I know that soccer is not the only sport that does this, BB is not far behind club soccer and if Football ever becomes a club like setting, look out! There are so many kids I see who only play one sport, hoping to play at the next level. What many don't understand is that, only the top 1% to 5% will ever get that chance, that is if they have the grades to even be considered. But that is another topic.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Deep or wide Coach J.

I think the attributes that make a high school football player attractive to an SEC or ACC college......are pretty different from the attributes that attract an ACC soccer coach to a high school aged soccer player.

Its so much more about physicality.....strength, size and speed with football.

My guess is that Steve Spurrier would look at a kid that was 6'5 and 300 pounds, benching 350 pounds and running a 5 flat 40.....and say, i don't care about his footwork, I can teach him that. But i can't teach size and I can' teach speed. And if the kid has an ornery side.......perfect!!!!

Whereas I would think most ACC soccer coaches....while looking for athleticism, size, etc......are also wanting to see excellent technical and tactical ability.

Sports like soccer which require refined skills specific to the sport... ...can't be compared to a sport like football.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Deep or wide Coach J.

I think the attributes that make a high school football player attractive to an SEC or ACC college......are pretty different from the attributes that attract an ACC soccer coach to a high school aged soccer player.

Its so much more about physicality.....strength, size and speed with football.

My guess is that Steve Spurrier would look at a kid that was 6'5 and 300 pounds, benching 350 pounds and running a 5 flat 40.....and say, i don't care about his footwork, I can teach him that. But i can't teach size and I can' teach speed. And if the kid has an ornery side.......perfect!!!!

Whereas I would think most ACC soccer coaches....while looking for athleticism, size, etc......are also wanting to see excellent technical and tactical ability.

Sports like soccer which require refined skills specific to the sport... ...can't be compared to a sport like football.

you're way off here....your fb analogy might work for div2 or 3 fball, but not div1 & certainly not the sec...give me a break

J
bench
bench
J
I have to agree and you only zeroed in on football. Look at Dirk and Akeem (sp?) soccer stars in their youth that are now considered two of the best basketball players at their positions ever. Would they have acheived what they did if they just played one sport and only one sport growing up. I agree practice makes perfect but there is something to be said for the kid that expands his skill set by playing other sports and also does not get burnt out because all he did was play a single sport since he was 10.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

It's crazy how this topic is spreading. Even ESPN has decided to write a article on it.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6520002/mls-academies-kill-college-game-soccer

They also seem to point out that year round Academy programs that start recruiting young kids might drain the college talent pool. One of the biggest draft systems we have in America might change for soccer. Any thoughts on this?

The author of this ESPN piece was a guest on The Football Show this morning on Sirius/XM Radio. He spoke with Charlie and Giorgio about academies, but specifically referenced MLS Academies. Really made no mention of traditional youth soccer club academies other than to say that the Dallas Texans have prohibited their academy players from participating in high school soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
world cup
world cup
Quote:

I have to agree and you only zeroed in on football. Look at Dirk and Akeem (sp?) soccer stars in their youth that are now considered two of the best basketball players at their positions ever. Would they have acheived what they did if they just played one sport and only one sport growing up. I agree practice makes perfect but there is something to be said for the kid that expands his skill set by playing other sports and also does not get burnt out because all he did was play a single sport since he was 10.

Dirk and Akeem. Physical specimens. Would probably succeed at the top level in any sport that they pursue. They are 1 in a million (maybe even greater).

For the normal "Joe", who is not nearly as athletically gifted, perhaps he has to go the extra mile and focus in on one sport. Practice makes perfect.....the only shot "Joe" would have to even remotely compete with Dirk and Akeem.

But again, you may argue......."at what price"? Life is full of sacrafices (choices).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Dirk and Akeem. Physical specimens. Would probably succeed at the top level in any sport that they pursue. They are 1 in a million (maybe even greater).

For the normal "Joe", who is not nearly as athletically gifted, perhaps he has to go the extra mile and focus in on one sport. Practice makes perfect.....the only shot "Joe" would have to even remotely compete with Dirk and Akeem.

But again, you may argue......."at what price"? Life is full of sacrafices (choices).

Can't buy the physical specimen argument. Look at Chad Johnson and Manute(sp) Bol. Ocho couldn't make the Sporting and Bol...well, we all saw how that turned out.

There are always exceptions. The question that needs to be asked is where would those guys be (Dirk and Akeem) if they had NOT gone into the development program

Last edited by Notsofastfriend; 06/02/11 03:46 PM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can't buy the physical specimen argument. Look at Chad Johnson and Manute(sp) Bol. Ocho couldn't make the Sporting and Bol...well, we all saw how that turned out.

There are always exceptions. The question that needs to be asked is where would those guys be (Dirk and Akeem) if they had NOT gone into the development program

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. But your examples suport my point, IMO. Chad Johnson/86.....All Pro football player, World class athlete, world class specimin....no skill to compete at a comparitively minor league level.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

There is something to be said for the old 3 sport athlete.

But thats not what this thread is about. The status quo has soccer players playing club from August thru December and HS from Feb thru mid May. Jan is usually a HS conditioning month.

The argument......is that the top level player woul dbe better served developmentally by taking the time spent playing HS soccer.....and continuing on with Academy level training and competiton.

The status quo doesn't offer any more or less flexibility in terms of playing otehr sports. And the increased Academy time.....doesn't require the player to play more soccer. It substitutes Academy soccer for school soccer.

But its still soccer.

Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard