Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Deep or wide Coach J.

I think the attributes that make a high school football player attractive to an SEC or ACC college......are pretty different from the attributes that attract an ACC soccer coach to a high school aged soccer player.

Its so much more about physicality.....strength, size and speed with football.

My guess is that Steve Spurrier would look at a kid that was 6'5 and 300 pounds, benching 350 pounds and running a 5 flat 40.....and say, i don't care about his footwork, I can teach him that. But i can't teach size and I can' teach speed. And if the kid has an ornery side.......perfect!!!!

Whereas I would think most ACC soccer coaches....while looking for athleticism, size, etc......are also wanting to see excellent technical and tactical ability.

Sports like soccer which require refined skills specific to the sport... ...can't be compared to a sport like football.

you're way off here....your fb analogy might work for div2 or 3 fball, but not div1 & certainly not the sec...give me a break

Ok....exaggeration for sure. But do you really mean to tell me that a 6'5" 300 pound high school offensive lineman who is strong as a horse, has quick feet, and has a bit of a nasty streak.....isn't going to be appealing to a college football coach? You think if someone told the ol Ball Coach about this kid in Chester that I described above...he wouldn't be interested in checking him out?

Ok, now....go tell Mark Berson about a 6'5" 300 pound kid with quick feet, strong as a horse and a nasty streak....and what do you think he is thinking? OK, 5'10 165.....does it matter? No. What makes a good soccer player isn't driven by physciality, wheras certain positions in football most certainly are.

You hear about the kid who is 6'8 and can jump out of the gym? Name that sport.

S
goal
goal
S
yes, there is usually a size requirement at certain positions in fball, hoops & soccer, which in itself doesn't make them qualified for div 1 college play.
soccer needs for quick/fast players who can run all day, which usually results in smaller low center of gravity types that can turn on a dime, fball you gotta have more meat to survive, hoops, gotta have some height first.
these are all minimum general requirements w/exceptions of course.
i really don't get your point

brace
brace
I think what he is trying to get across is that in soccer skill level is the 1st concern of coaches (maybe factored in with a fitness/endurance standard). In FB or Basket Ball there are physical attributes coaches look at first then they consider skills knowing that many of the skills in those sports can be quickly taught and learned, not mastered but learned enough to play well using those physical advantages they were looking for to begin with!

Look at Charlie Ward, heisman winner (Nat Champ too, I think) but at 5'10"(generous) no NFL team was even really interested in him but he also had great Basket Ball skills so he goes NBA and has marginaly decent career. The key was the skill for BB were there but the size for FB was not, he was a great college athlete but at the next level he was never going to pan out in FB.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Perfectly explained Chief!!! Thank you!!!

S
goal
goal
S
so theres no physical attribute for the soccer player as the level of play increases, hs-college-pro?
that short little outstanding goalie at the hs level has a shot at manchester united?, that big oversized hs defender has the speed to play barca?
in trying to put soccer in the skill only category, you guys are kind of arguing against yourselves anyway.
in hoops & nfl, you gotta not only have the skill, but gotta have the body style to survive, so, to me, its more exclusive. ....what am i missing besides getting this thread way off track?

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

I think what he is trying to get across is that in soccer skill level is the 1st concern of coaches (maybe factored in with a fitness/endurance standard). In FB or Basket Ball there are physical attributes coaches look at first then they consider skills knowing that many of the skills in those sports can be quickly taught and learned, not mastered but learned enough to play well using those physical advantages they were looking for to begin with!

Look at Charlie Ward, heisman winner (Nat Champ too, I think) but at 5'10"(generous) no NFL team was even really interested in him but he also had great Basket Ball skills so he goes NBA and has marginaly decent career. The key was the skill for BB were there but the size for FB was not, he was a great college athlete but at the next level he was never going to pan out in FB.

so cheif, in your 1st paragragh are you saying that the skills for hoops & fball are more easily learned than soccer?

J
bench
bench
J
I am with you sandman, soccer skills are not harder to learn then being a QB, WR, or basketball player. Apologizes to the football lineman out there. Each sport requires a base set of attributes. Soccer is a fast and quick guy (for field players), football is size and speed, etc. Given a kids desire and a coaches skill, shouldn't the rest be teachable?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

so theres no physical attribute for the soccer player as the level of play increases, hs-college-pro?
that short little outstanding goalie at the hs level has a shot at manchester united?, that big oversized hs defender has the speed to play barca?
in trying to put soccer in the skill only category, you guys are kind of arguing against yourselves anyway.
in hoops & nfl, you gotta not only have the skill, but gotta have the body style to survive, so, to me, its more exclusive. ....what am i missing besides getting this thread way off track?

Not trying to say soccer is all skill and no athlete. By no means!!!

I played high school football and love it to death. My favorite sport!!

But while there is skill involved with executing a block or making a tackle....I would argue that there is a heckuva lot MORE skill required to be able to hit a golf ball to a precise spot consistently. Or hit a baseball. Or cleanly settle a flighted ball from 30 yards away while in traffic and not lose the ball.

All sport has a ratio between "skill" and required athleticism. I don't know the right ratio, but from personal experience and opinion.....golf is MUCH more heavily weighted towards skill, altho Tiger revolutionized the game from a fitness perspective. Football has skill/technique, but relies a lot more and is much more heavily weighted towards athleticism. Soccer to me is balance, which is what makes it unique. Messi is fast as heck going forward when he receives the ball in space in the middle of the field. But he is also otherworldly skilled to be able to run at full speed in traffic with the ball right on his foot.

I see lots of fast athletic kids in soccer who make that Messi run with the ball.....and lose it immediately because of too big a touch. Thast why kids who are serious about the game need to be training at a high level year round. The skill required to do that....won't be gained over night, or by training a couple of months a year. Or by making runs against lesser competition.

A kid that wants to be a top notch soccer player needs to develop the skills and the athleticism. Messi went to Barcelona at what, 14? You think these European guys get good by taking a 4 month sabatical from their youth club teams so they can train and play with any kid from the neighborhood who wants to play? Does that happen?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I am with you sandman, soccer skills are not harder to learn then being a QB, WR, or basketball player. Apologizes to the football lineman out there. Each sport requires a base set of attributes. Soccer is a fast and quick guy (for field players), football is size and speed, etc. Given a kids desire and a coaches skill, shouldn't the rest be teachable?

I'll bet you could get a pickup game of flag football between football players on one side and soccer players on the other. Then have a second pickup game......of soccer. Soccer players versus football players.

Who do you really think would do better.....an outside middie trying to catch a 20 yard pass? Or a linebacker trying to dribble the ball at top speed under pressure?

J
bench
bench
J
Quote:

Quote:

I'll bet you could get a pickup game of flag football between football players on one side and soccer players on the other. Then have a second pickup game......of soccer. Soccer players versus football players.

Who do you really think would do better.....an outside middie trying to catch a 20 yard pass? Or a linebacker trying to dribble the ball at top speed under pressure?

Agreed, but take 5 soccer players from the Academy, that only play soccer, and have them play basketball against Calhoun County and the soccer players might not score a single basket in an entire game.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard