Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
S
goal
goal
S
hey big daddy, you are all over the place, golf now?

having coached yth baseball, hoops & soccer, soccer was always the default sport that we would guide those boys/girls into when we knew the hand/eye coordination was too frustrating for them. everyone can run & kick a ball & can usually experience some success at the yth level, & gain confidence to work hard & move up, ... baseball & hoops...not so much.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Soccer would be far easier to play for someone who never played it....then would baseball.

But what we're talking about is what it takes to play the game at a high level. Thus the justification for a program charged with developing the majority of the top youth players in the country thinking out loud about expanding the season to overlap HS soccer.

And while its very easy to play the game poorly, its very very difficult to acquire the skills to play at a high level. A number of track stars have dabbled with football with varying degrees of success. Why? Speed translates to football. Speed is a great asset in soccer, but if thats all you got then you don't have a thing.

And yeah, I think from a skill perspective its easier for a normal redblooded American boy to run a route and catch a football......than it is to do a lot of things in soccer we talk about.

Sigh......now that I've hijacked the thread and bored/ticked everyone off......

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am with you sandman, soccer skills are not harder to learn then being a QB, WR, or basketball player. Apologizes to the football lineman out there. Each sport requires a base set of attributes. Soccer is a fast and quick guy (for field players), football is size and speed, etc. Given a kids desire and a coaches skill, shouldn't the rest be teachable?

I'll bet you could get a pickup game of flag football between football players on one side and soccer players on the other. Then have a second pickup game......of soccer. Soccer players versus football players.

Who do you really think would do better.....an outside middie trying to catch a 20 yard pass? Or a linebacker trying to dribble the ball at top speed under pressure?

Agreed, but take 5 soccer players from the Academy, that only play soccer, and have them play basketball against Calhoun County and the soccer players might not score a single basket in an entire game.

Why wouldn't they score?

brace
brace
First preface it with you have to be athletic to begin with. Next apply the idea that at each level there is a physical ability (gift) that will allow you to excell even though you have not mastered the skills. That is why a HS coach will take a 6'7" kid and get him to play Basket Ball in HS he is a star even though he just started playing. How about the college coach who gets the 7'2" kid from africa (Manute Bull ring a bell) who know little of basket ball but with his gift he can be taught to become a solid college player (in his case even get some pro time). Remeber when Renaldo ("Skeets") Nehemiah one of the fastest track men of his time (who never played Fb in college) got signed by the 49's? He was signed on his speed alone (gift). He was a PRO football player just because he was fast period (ok could catch, some oh and he got a superbowl ring!) he had ZERO FB skills before that! Tell me what world class athlete (non soccer player)you think could walk on to one of the top 5 soccer teams in the world????

I am saying at the base level I could take a 6'9" (or a 6'5" 295lbs) HS kid from overseas who has never played FB or BB and make a better BasketBall or Football player in 1 preseason than I could taking a cross county star who has never played soccer. Will I make them a QB or shooting guard, not likely but they will be able to contribute as a Center/PWR FWD or maybe a D or O lineman or maybe a TE.

Last edited by The Chief; 06/02/11 09:21 PM.
S
goal
goal
S
chief, enough with the few exceptions, your few examples are ridiculous. will that same coach hustle the 5'8 kid to hoops?
soccer skills are a project that takes yrs to build to move on to elite, college/ pros.
i submit that baseball/hoops & the skilled positions of fball, qb, wr, rb need at least as much work & bodystyle & i also submit that basic baseball & hoop skills are the hardest & most frustrating that most will never grasp even at the yutes level.
soccer is the default that most kids can gain confidence & build on from a young age. i've had a few kids with no hand/eye in baseball/hoops that are now doing very well at the elite soccer level...hows that for exceptions?
granted, those baseball/hoops players would never make elite soccer but could probably blend in at the classic level after a few months of training depending on their bodystyle of course.
what soccer star on college level could or has played baseball, hoops or fball, besides field goals?...right back at you.
many different skill sets demanded from all the many different sports, but the hand/eye skill required to succeed at a yth elite baseball/hoops & above remains the hardest imho.

Last edited by sandman; 06/02/11 10:13 PM.
H
goal
goal
H
Quote:

Why wouldn't they score?

I have it on good authority (goldeneagle86) that any CESA team would score more points than any Academy team, and probably would win.

brace
brace
Quote:

what soccer star on college level could or has played baseball, hoops or fball, besides field goals?...right back at you.
many different skill sets demanded from all the many different sports, but the hand/eye skill required to succeed at a yth elite baseball/hoops & above remains the hardest imho.

Seems like a shifting target to me. You asked about skills being easily learned. I gave you an example of Zero skill guy playing for a superbowl team. Now you want to take that to mean I think soccer is harder to master? No way! Here is where you and I can meet an agremment, yes mastering Baseball skills (hand-eye) or Basketball Hand-eye-while running full speed skill are more more challenging to master.

On the part of the question about college level soccer stars playing one of the big three sports... Well DAH if they were good enough to play one of those three they would be there already getting more money and cars from boosters than any soccer kid will every get

J
bench
bench
J
Quote:

Why wouldn't they score?

Though this thread has played out, I want to answer. CC is a 2A school that presses the entire game with no letup.

C
Brace
Brace
C
A lot good points being made, some went in a different direction. All of us can agree that a young kid can get many skills sets and learn by playing different sports. I would argue that basketball and soccer have more in common then you think. 1. decision making, or speed of play. both very important. 2. zone and man defense. 3. moving with out the ball. 4. reading the game. 5. transition or counter attacking. 6. momentum change/swing. 7. How to protect a lead/come back for a win. 8 etc.

Now if you think playing QB or OL is easy , think again. How many of you , that played, can tell the difference b/w cover 1, 2, 3,4, 2 man, man free, man under, and then be able to read the blitz package, and coverage change when a blitz is coming. Now you only get 25 sec to call play get to line and look at defense and figure all that out. sounds easy right? Now the OL guy has so much more to do, odd front, even front, LB coming, is he in a 1, 2, 2I,3,4,4I,5, 6, 9 tech? Confused yet? Now if the DL shifts or stunts on the snap, wow now what do you do?
I will stop here, I have had enough fun. But if a 12 year old wants to try another sport, I believe he should be allowed to do that. I also believe that the other coaches should work with that child. When the get older if they want to focus on only one sport then so be it. But how many of you can play other sports well? I can tell you that a lot of soccer kids can not judge a ball in the air. Why is that?

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

Seems like a shifting target to me. You asked about skills being easily learned. I gave you an example of Zero skill guy playing for a superbowl team. Now you want to take that to mean I think soccer is harder to master? No way! Here is where you and I can meet an agremment, yes mastering Baseball skills (hand-eye) or Basketball Hand-eye-while running full speed skill are more more challenging to master.

On the part of the question about college level soccer stars playing one of the big three sports... Well DAH if they were good enough to play one of those three they would be there already getting more money and cars from boosters than any soccer kid will every get

well duh, which is my point, soccer is for the avg joe that generally doesn't have the body for hoops, baseball, fball.
maybe we've been arguing the same point is my uneducated guess.

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard