Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MT4ME, Cmon you're kidding, right? Let's say they came to you and asked you to start a "open" soccer forum. Would you throw people out for stirring the pot (as you say)? asking hard questions? calling out an organization when you don't agree with them. Maybe you would just let people in that are yes people? The problem is when someone stops asking hard questions, that's when someone's usually getting away with something they shouldn't be. And please this isn't your first soccer forum rodeo?

Dawg,
Are you really asking the hard questions or just another one to find a way to bash the club experience? Most parents feel both high school and club benefit their child. Most players feel the same. I can't imagine a high school team would be successful without its club players. At the same time, club players want to play for their high school. It seems to me that most of the time both can exist alongside one another without a problem.

I am not sure what it was that made you so bitter about club. Whatever it was, you can be assured not everyone shares your feelings (although someone will probably feel the need to jump in and say I'm drinking the club kool-aid. Isn't that what happens about now? Or will I just be told to go away for questioning why we once again have to talk about which is better, club or hs, while measuring the value of each by the number of tears shed?).

Only asked the "emotion question MT, didn't say nothing about what's better HS or Club. You did make some good points MT. I'm sure I'll have more material (stirring the pot) in the future, that you can comment on. I'm sure you'll be able to comment on all of them in this open forum. Don't we live in a great country where censorship is fround on? Have a great day and nice holiday weekend.

Who said anything about censorship? I'm just questioning the need to talk about high school vs club yet again (and essentially asking why there is so much emotion with hs and little with club.). In the last few months the subject has been beaten to death. They are two different experiences. One isn't better than the other for each player, although, for an individual player, one may be vastly better than the other.

Maybe someone just needs to do a poll and settle it. Which is better:
Club
High School
Neither, both offen different, yet valuable experiences to players.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Quote:

Getting back to emotions, (which is what I thought this was about) what are your thoughts there Bomber? Is it that club games are 'just another game' as BT suggests? There was a game this past fall in the upstate on a Wed. night between a team that finished 3rd in the SCSCL and a team whose results didn't count in anyone's standings (though they went undefeated). So it should have been a meaningless game, right? How were your emotions before/during that game? How were gbdawgs? Were they calm because it was a club game? Or were they excitable because there were circumstances about the game that mattered to you?

So, I'll get back to my original question. Is it the player, game, parent etc. that determines the answer to gbdawgs' original question or is it simply a matter of hs is exciting and club isn't?

Good point AH, I stand corrected, great 4-2 game between a pick up 1st year team from Piedmont who practiced 1-2 days a week.(sometimes not at all)and the South Carolina State Champs. I was on pins and needles all day, I can't speak for my daughter though, I bet she was nervous but there were no tears of joy or tears of defeat from either side. Just a good soccer game

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
No Harry, was NOT a 92 team.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

No Harry, was NOT a 92 team.

Then, you've got me at a loss. What team played in Challenge league and Premier and got beat by Ponte Vedra and Boca?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
[quoteGood point AH, I stand corrected, great 4-2 game between a pick up 1st year team from Piedmont who practiced 1-2 days a week.(sometimes not at all)and the South Carolina State Champs. I was on pins and needles all day, I can't speak for my daughter though, I bet she was nervous but there were no tears of joy or tears of defeat from either side. Just a good soccer game

Believe scysa has it listed as 3-1. Not really important though. But a good game with some emotion though?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
As to emotion, where High School clearly has the edge, many of the teams are rivals, thus many of the players know each other, many play together in Club, you've got students, parents and friends in attendance. You've got music, an announcer, the National Anthem, a scoreboard, write-ups in the papers, coverage on TV...

Hands down, a cooler environment. Yes, there are some "lopsided" games, but that also happens in Club.

Club does continue the development (or should) of the players.

It should not be a -which is better? They are really two entirely different environments.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I certainly won't/can't argue about the environments. But is the announcer a plus? There's one or two that are completely ridiculous.

Goal
Goal
I don't believe that there is a "one size fits all" answer to the OP.

HS have rivalries. There are some rivalries in club, but not to the extent that there are in HS. Definitely more emotion plays in to the equation with those HS matches.

There is also the "Senior" complex with HS. They want to go out on top, etc. Obviously, not the case with club.

But, there are club matches that have plenty of emotion: state cup, tourneys, regionals, nationals, etc. I think it depends on the emphasis the coach puts on the matches.

G
gbdawgs Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
The announcer at Riverside HS is awesome. They should pay him. I heard the HS coach at RHS has asked him to stay on even though his daughter is graduating.

Just ask the JL Mann varsity girls soccer coach. She loves him.

corner kick
corner kick
I wish there was more excitement in club games. I think because of a lot of the neutral sites they have to play it may take some of the air out of the games. I wish it was possible for each club to have at least one stadium field or something like it and and have more feature games. I know my oldest daughter went to England several years ago and got to watch several premier league games and she came home with a new excitement for the game. We played mauldin a couple of years ago and it was the crazest game as far as fans I have seen at any HS game. Mauldin brought the Hooligans and we had some of our own. People still talk about that game and that is what makes it great I think. When people still talk about an exciting game years later. I think clubs ought to hand out Vuvuzela's at every game.

That there is an RV Clark......
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard