Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
C
bench
bench
C
lets look at it from a different angle. what would the boys team have said if RS had not coached them and they had lost?

S
goal
goal
S
the score really has nothing to do with it.
deltadog has a legit gripe. its too bad he didn't email the coach before all the $/time he comitted to the tourny & asked him directly, in case of conflict which team will you be coaching?...to confirm said club policy.
the cynic in me thinks that the coach/club decided that they had milked all the $ out of the older girls & that they still had to woo the younger boy$ back for another year.
no rip on cesa, don't know anything about them, just a thought on clubs in general maybe

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Quote:

The team didn't have enough players all year. They played with no subs last year at regionals. They didn't have enough players to finish the ECNL last year and struggled to put a competitive team on the field at all the tournaments this year.
They lost a lot of players over the past two years which can be contributed to their roster decisions starting four years ago. Choosing out of state players over local players and when they needed the local players this year they were gone.But thats a job for Captain Hindsight who was probably tied up with Senator Weiner.
Glad you can plan your life a year in advance MT4ME. And is easier to commit when you know what you are committing to.
Besides, as long is there is no forfeit, whats the diffence between a player missing a game and a coach missing a game.
Sure the parents mad everyone didn't show but that was par for the course all year.

The team played all year with 12 players all year? Seriously? And yes, to the best of my ability I would plan my life in advance to be sure that my child is at the regions should they qualify. That's the commitment I make to the other parents and the other players on the team. But, that's me. Illness, injuries, and family emergencies are one thing, but deciding not to go is another. Having 12 players at a league game is difficult, but it's difficult to win a tournament when playing day after day with only 12.

One thing I know we are committing to in June is the other players on the team.

D
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
D
Quote:

deltadog has a legit gripe. its too bad he didn't email the coach before all the $/time he comitted to the tourny & asked him directly, in case of conflict which team will you be coaching?...to confirm said club policy.
the cynic in me thinks that the coach/club decided that they had milked all the $ out of the older girls & that they still had to woo the younger boy$ back for another year.
no rip on cesa, don't know anything about them, just a thought on clubs in general maybe

Sandman, once my daughter was on the roster last summer, they could count on her for Regionals if the team made it. Had I asked your question and been told the policy had changed I would have expressed my concerns then. But, given the at-any-time-the-policies-can-change-to-suit, no-policy policy endorsed by Harry what would the answer to my question have meant? Anything? Nothing?

I really don't think the decision was about the money, and I do think the decision made was very difficult for Shelley. In the end I think it came down to total lack of "what if" preparation for a coaching conflict by those looking out for the '94 team resulting in the decision made impacting the '92 team who should have had priority.

But, take a look at conehead's question with a slight modification and one eye on Nationals. What would the boys team have said if RS had been called back to Greenville for a family emergency, and the boys lost?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I just read the day's postings from the time I was on this morning until now. DD, you just can't convince me that this would have been an issue at all had the 92s won like they did in the 2nd game. You said that you voiced your concern about not having Russell at that game and I guess we have to take your word for it. They won 1-0 and nobody would have ever known you were upset. The exact same circumstances with regards to coaching the team occured two days later with Russell being absent, only this time the team lost. Now, more than 72 hours later, you're still upset about it. What was different other than the score and your reaction? You-know-I'm-slow-in-understanding-so-break-it-down-for-me-again. (not sure what the hyphens were for)

D
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
D
What the heck are you talking about? You keep going on about the 2nd game and 4th game as if in some way beforehand they were considered even remotely similar in terms of what would be anticipated as required of the '92 girls and their coach. We knew going in that the 2nd game was the easiest game on the preliminary schedule and not only the best chance but a good chance for a win, the 3rd game would be the toughest making the 1st game critical to at least get a draw, but '92 team with Shelley coaching came out of the 1st game with a win and 3 points. Unlike the '94 boys who earned only 1 point in a 1st game draw. When Shelley explained to the '92 girls the situation about the boys before the 2nd game the girls obliged as I said. The 2nd game should have been a cakewalk compared to what we knew was to come in the 3rd game (GSA) and the possible 4th game (Ponte Vedra) if we finished 2nd in bracket.

We had profiles of both 1st and 2nd team's down to premier league records, tournament records, state cup records and record comparisons to previous years. Which had national team members, region 3 team members, state team members, in some cases track & field times, dominent foot, height, which team's had returning college players and their freshman stats even some youtube video; college committments, college coaches' NLI release blurbs and for some full player profiles... for games 1 and 2. No need for research on GSA or PVedra, because every player with our team had played both teams at least once, most of them twice and half of the team 5-6 times. And... the team's coach, Russ Shelley, had coached CESA '92 every game against the GSA and PVedra teams for 4 years.

At the hotel before the 4th game Shelley told the team he would be coaching the boys again. However, unlike 2 days earlier the entire team knowing how different this 4th game would be compared to the 2nd game followed him to his room and tried to talk him into changing his mind. That visit in itself should have been enough, but I am aware of at least 1 parent called him (still at hotel before the game) to get him to change his decision, and I texted my disagreement later after I realized he wasn't going to be at the game (I wasn't at meeting). The decision was challenged by the entire team after the meeting where it was announced at the hotel.

3rd game accomplishment with these 12 players under Shelley... dominated 1st half possesion, held GSA scoreless for 75 minutes finally losing 2-0 (had they held on for the tie, they would have finished 1st in bracket). Fall Premier League CESA/GSA score 1-6.

4th game accomplishment with these 12 players without Shelley... played 1st half in defensive half usually defensive 3rd, rarely controlling possesion, down 0-2 in 1st 15 minutes finally losing 0-8. Fall Premier League CESA/PVedra score 1-3 (0-2 @ half, Shelley fired up team for 2nd half 1-1). Oh, added value accomplishment... at least 4 players including three of the starting backs from the 3 previous games got experience at new starting positions.

72 hours? Ask me again in ten years and I'll still tell you that at the 2011 Southern Regionals the CESA '92 Premier Girls needed Shelley at the 4th game, went to him as a team asking him to be there, and he should have been there.

Does that finally break it down for you? Hope so.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 06/24/11 08:59 AM.
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Quote:

Surely not, no a Club decide they have "milked all $$$", no, it could not be???????

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
DD

Track and Field times??? Posting that rant at 4:02 am??? Edited at 4:59 am??? Talking about this 10 years from now???

Yes, that breaks it down for me. You're a little farther gone than even I thought you were. I'm going to wish you good luck with a thing the rest of us call 'coping' and leave you to it. I hope you're successful in getting Russell fired or bringing down the club or ultimately avenging your daughter for the lost respect of some kids in FL that aren't even friends of hers. Keep us updated.

J
JAK Offline
goal kick
goal kick
J
Wow! This has gotten even sadder. The bitterness in some people is amazing and just never stops.

In another attempt to derail the hijacking:

* It's incredible to get to regionals (congrats to all 10 SC teams who won the state championship: CESA 96B, CESA 95B, CESA 94B, CESA 93B, CESA92B, SCUMP 96G, CESA 95G, CESA 94G, CESA93G, CESA 92G)

* It's amazing to get out of group play (congrats to CESA 95B, CESA 94B, CESA 93B, CESA92B, SCUMP 96G, CESA93G, CESA 92G )

* It's unreal to move to the semis and finals (congrats to the CESA 94B, CESA 93B)

* And it's absolutely brilliant to have won RIII (congrats to the CESA 94B!)

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

Quote:

The team played all year with 12 players all year? Seriously? And yes, to the best of my ability I would plan my life in advance to be sure that my child is at the regions should they qualify. That's the commitment I make to the other parents and the other players on the team. But, that's me. Illness, injuries, and family emergencies are one thing, but deciding not to go is another. Having 12 players at a league game is difficult, but it's difficult to win a tournament when playing day after day with only 12.

Yes. Of the 30 or so games played they averaged 1 to 2 subs in 70% of the games. The three or four who did not attend regionals didn't just wake up and say we aren't going. Injuries and other committments where the reasons. Oh and yes I would committ to next year in June since its in Greenville.
Its really just a 92 thing. I don't see any shortage of players in the other age groups this year. By not being able to create a challenge team last year created issues.
I also have no beef with the coach doing what he did. Its was a lose-lose situation.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard