P
bench
OP Offline
bench
P
2011 Rock Hill Herald All-Area Boys Soccer Team
Sunday 06-19-11

Online article does not show list.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/06/19/3157723/gonzalez-big-for-cats-cole-guiding.html

Adam Cole - Indian Land - COY

First Team
-----------
Fernando Gonzales - Rock Hill - POY
Nick Retter - Indian Land
Ricardo Garbonzo - Northwestern
Kevin Fielden - Fort Mill
Michael Borer - Fort Mill
Kevin Ray - Northwestern
Austin Schlirf - Clover
David Hawk - Clover
Charles Johnson - Rock Hill
Reid Grayson - Nation Ford
Carson King - Nation Ford - Keeper

Second Team
------------
Nick Outen - Indian Land
Joey Ford - Chester
Jim Revels - Chester
Pablo Arzaluz - Rock Hill
Walker Johnson - Fort Mill
Michael Rodriguez - Indian Land
Denis Killoran - Indian Land
Jonathan Rowe - Indian Land
David Parks - Nation Ford
Brandon Green - Chester
Rick Mashburn - Clover
Hunter Padgett - Northwestern
Trevor Hoxwort - Indian Land - Keeper

Congrats!

J
throw in
throw in
J
Congratulations to all the Boys on the Team. Once again, South Point Soccer snubs its own players. Stay positive Boys, 2012 is around the corner.

K
kick off
kick off
K
It may not be a snub by South Point, I noticed York doesn't have any players on the list either and I know for a fact that there were at least 3 players submitted.

Kickoff
Kickoff
How could York possibly have a player on the All-Area Team? Another question is how did Chester get anyone on that squad? Those teams were dreadful!

4A
15-6-1, Rock Hill
14-4-0, Northwestern
12-10-1, Clover

3A
18-7-0, Fort Mill
12-8-0, South Pointe
10-9-2, Nation Ford
5-18-0, York
3-17-0, Chester

2A
19-5-0, Indian Land

J
throw in
throw in
J
York may have nominated players, but we have been told that no submission was sent on behalf of SPHS. It does not take much to place the date on your calendar and send an e-mail.

It is official, a coaching change is absolute, at South Pointe, for the 2012 season.

D
bench
bench
D
If you look at the schedule that York played though you'll see they played 17 ranked teams out of 23. Those opponents were in the region as well as outside the region. Pretty sure none of the other teams played that many.

Kickoff
Kickoff
Quote:

If you look at the schedule that York played though you'll see they played 17 ranked teams out of 23. Those opponents were in the region as well as outside the region. Pretty sure none of the other teams played that many.

Below is the strength of schedule according to the Massey Ratings. York was 7th of nine teams.
#20 Clover
#24 Northwestern
#35 Rock Hill
#44 Fort Mill
#46 Nation Ford
#61 South Pointe
#70 York
#95 Indian Land
#110 Chester

P
bench
OP Offline
bench
P
Quote:

First, let me say I'm sure there are other young men that should have been nominated/selected. Both South Pointe and York should have been represented. Both schools are within the Herald footprint and play a part in the soccer culture of York County. I can think of a few players from each team that deserve the nod. Additionally, if the powers to be included Chester they should have included Lancaster as well. Perhaps Lancaster missed the nomination deadline also.

But really duffman1221 you didn't do your homework. Not sure where you got your ranking info, but York played 7 ranked teams (2A, 3A & 4A), 10 if you count the ones they played twice during the season. Preseason scrimmages don't count. Info based on eurosport scoreboard.

http://www.eurosportscoreboard.com/page_state.php?s=SC

If you look at Clover as an example of your assumption, they played 10 ranked teams (2A, 3A & 4A), 13 if you count the ones they played twice during the season. Really not that much better than York. Other area teams may have higher ranked opponent numbers. Also, Clover only made it to the first round of the playoffs, others in the area (i.e. Ft. Mill, Indian Land, Rock Hill, NW) went further. Massey ratings probably a better gauge.

All that aside, "strength of schedule" isn't a criteria for this award. That makes it far to technical. Usually the way these kudos get handed out is pretty basic. Player gets nominated by his coach based on individual performance and maybe team player ability, then a committee of coaches (or maybe the Herald sports staff) votes (decides) on who makes the "all-star" team. There were offensive stats (goals/assists) in the original article in the paper for M/F players. Defensive player selection may have been more subjective. Goalie stats were # of shutouts.

Don't want anyone to get me wrong, I think it's great for the players and again my congratulations to the awardees, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in it. It's a simple tradition.

B
brace
brace
B
I can give you a pretty good idea how it's done in the Lowcountry.

1) Teams play schedules, establish Region standings.
2) All-Region teams selected, with slots allotted based on team's final standing (i.e., more slots to Region champs). Coaches essentially fill the slots they're given.
3) Newspaper's high school correspondent references All-region teams, then selects All-Lowcountry team "in consultation" with a handful of coaches.

Note: The same reporter/correspondent who finalizes the list generally has seen (maybe) half of the teams/kids actually play, therefore is largely reliant on coaches to get it right.

Link Copied to Clipboard