Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 36 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
kick off
kick off
Quote:

Hahaha

Wow haha you gotta admit, that's funny no matter which side you're on!

brace
brace
Not sure the video supports an answer one way or another. The keeper barely got a hand on the ball and it seems hard to tell if the trailing Wando player and Irmo defender were in a position such that anything they did was gonna cause the ball to go in no matter what. Asking the keeper if he defelected it off frame would likely get the same answer from most keepers "Of course I did!", and maybe he did but ....

Given this angle and the speed it really happened at and with no replay I would give credit to Wando for a goal. They put the ball in play that was gonna score and the defernders could not stop the shot/deflection from getting in. Give credit to the Wnado player for following the shot into the net and draging the defender into the play where he may have be part of the goal as well. Either way it was the attacking team who "caused" the goal not a bad play by the defenders that caused a "own goal".

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I see your point but it's a high def video that doesn't translate well to you tube. Right off the camera on a HD TV it's very easy to see the sequence of events as I have described them. In slow motion it's what they would call in the NFL "indisputable". And it supports what the keeper said happened.

I'm not trying to get the official scoring changed. Just stating the facts. It was just a good play on both ends with an unlucky bounce for Irmo.

J
kick off
kick off
J
That picture isn't funny because Savitz has enough rings for not only both hands, but a couple of toes too

kick off
kick off
Quote:

That picture isn't funny because Savitz has enough rings for not only both hands, but a couple of toes too

Cool

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Either way it was the attacking team who "caused" the goal not a bad play by the defenders that caused a "own goal".

This I agree with. I don't agree that most keepers would say they deflected a shot off frame that they didn't. Either I have too much trust or you have too little.

B
brace
brace
B
Re: Own goals.
I thought the primary element is whether the shot would be on goal WITHOUT a defensive deflection or interference. In other words, had the defender (other than the keeper) NOT touched the ball, would it have gone in? I was at the match, and at the time, felt the ball was bundled in by either the attacking player on the far post, or the defender in the same area. Now I'm not sure.
That said, if the original shot was NOT going in, and was effectively knocked in from the doorstep by a defender, I'd think that would be an own goal.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
2012 Palmetto Cup All-Tournament Team
Brian Byrne, SR, Bishop England
Mauro Cichero, SO, Norman North
Erik Clark, JR, Wando
Herbert Cojulun, JR, Brookland-Cayce
Hunter Danna, JR, Wando
Kevin Fielden, SR, Fort Mill
Matt Freeman, SR, Irmo
Hunter Greer, SR, Wando
Rivers Hughes, SR, Christ Church
Nestor Jaramillo, SR, Cardinal Newman
Josh Jenkins, SR, Irmo
Brandon LittleAxe, SR, Norman North
Luigi Malpartida, SO, Lexington
Trent Rieflin, SR, Wando (MVP)
Cole Seiler, SR, Christ Church
Nate Torbett, SR, Northwestern

Wando (4 Selections)
Christ Church, Irmo & Norman North (2 Selections)
Bishop England, Brookland-Cayce, Cardinal Newman, Lexington, Northwestern (1 Selection)

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 04/17/12 01:20 PM.
B
brace
brace
B
Either way, a goal.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

Either way, a goal.

EXACTLY!