Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
brace
brace
B
Observer: A good bit of what you say about "star" players is right.
The resentment/jealously comes mostly when kids are "identified" at age 10, mindlessly promoted throughout their adolescence, and then RETAINED as potential MNT players DESPITE being passed by in real life.
I see it all the time where I am. The other kids kick the one kid's backside, not because they're jealous or childish, but because THEY CAN.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Backscreen 17: but there are those whose backside's are not kicked who truly are better than 99% of the others playing.
There are coaches and teammates who go out of their way to keep the star player from having a chance to excel by not playing them the ball and by not playing them. Politically correct players ( those who are in the right club, come from the right family, play for the right school, etc) who are not as talented and do not understand the game are permitted to be ball hogs to the detriment of the team. It
doesn't make sense to me its kind of like having Michael Jordan on your team and not passing him the ball.
Backscreen I also think that if one doesn't have the basic fundamental skills of dribbling, passing ,shooting by age 10 it is a bit too late to be a technically strong player
so when you say kick one's backside I am thinking you are speaking of the sheer brutality that I mentioned earlier technical skill beats size in the end...ask Japan!
Bottom line, we do not celebrate our gifted players. People go out their way to try to keep them from reaching their full potential. Basketball isn't like this. I can think of players whose communities celebrate and cheer for their home-grown talent. Soccer is like this because it is a sport for the elite in our country. The haves vs the have nots, nepatism, and when money and one's own children are involved people tend to lose sight of what is important.

B
brace
brace
B
"Kicking backside" is a metaphor. By that I mean, they are now bigger, faster, stronger and just as technically sound, IF NOT MORE SO.

I strongly disagree on the age-10 cutoff on technical skills IN ANY SPORT. I continue to see kids pass their peers TECHNICALLY well into their teens. And professional players continually refine and improve technical skills PRECISELY BECAUSE they grow and mature as young men and athletes well into their 20s.

The idea that they can't holds us back, and it allows soccer gurus the privilege of ignoring 14-year-olds as TOO OLD TO DEVELOP.

As to not celebrating gifted players ... WOW! I'd say we MIS-identify/celebrate way too early and too much. I look at team pictures of U10 sides, and it's amazing how many of the identified "stars" have been passed by teammates who worked harder, grew bigger and stronger, learned tactics, and learned how to win.

In summary, the problem isn't the youth standouts being abused/neglected/run off ...

It's the adults ASSUMING that 8-year-olds will continue to develop and maintain an edge throughout adolescence and young adulthood.

O
throw in
throw in
O
I disagree. Did you read the article soccershins posted?
I think it is the adults involved looking out for their own.
Technical ablility is something that should be learned first. Then, through game play it can be applied. Bigger ...um how tall is Messi? Yes, an athlete who picks up a game after age 10 without having grown up playing it (as those who in other countries do) will never be as technically sound as those who do. By the way, there are those stars who do work hard even harder than their teammates. I can see that we are going to be on opposite sides of this no matter what. Again, if you haven't been the best player on the pitch then you really can't relate to what they experience. You can try to say this one is bigger and more aggressive, but, are they fitter? are they technically sound? do they understand the game? Its kind of like a desire to just try to kill the love of the game out of the kid. Sad really, fortunately there are those who love it so much that they succeed despite all those that work against them

O
throw in
throw in
O
I do agree that fundamental skills should always be developed at all ages. I am just pointing out that those who learn them after age 10 versus those who grew up with them are not as sound as those who do. They will never be. Sure they can work hard, train, but, it is not autonomous,
in any sport. Speed and strength come with age and growth. Its the fundamentals that are key! I am not saying those who learn them late will not be successful. I am saying they will never be as sound (smooth?, fluent,? natural with the ball? not really sure how to word this)as those who learned them at an early age.

B
brace
brace
B
It really isn't about agreeing or disagreeing.

The point ISN'T whether the Holy Trinity of technical/tactical/physical is irrelevant at any age. It IS that kids grow/change/mature/develop differently, and should be evaluated that way. You can't apply any of the three at its highest level in the absence of the other two.

The "Messi" example is perfect. He's a technical genius who CONTINUES to improve those skills. He "physical side" includes physical toughness, quickness, practical pace, etc.
Tactically, he sees and foresees. He's incredibly intuitive. And his teammates love him.

I'd argue that the Clint Dempsey example is also illustrative. You can't tell me that he hasn't continued to develop/refine/enhance his technical skill set as a full senior player. (I saw him play in college.)

Now, at the "SC Kid Level," I'd NEVER argue that there isn't "X" amount of jealousy, nepotism, favoritism etc. Heck, that happens in virtually every sports/education/workplace situation. I would argue, though, that the best players overcome. They co-opt their teammates with great play ... not reputation.

Trust me, as someone who has coached for a long time, kids are not stupid. They know who can really play, and who's an empty reputation. They also know that they can/must improve to continue to play beyond Age 8. Or 18. Or even 22.

The picture on the refrigerator doesn't lie. We lose FAR more kids to LACK of recognition AT A RIDICULOUSLY EARLY AGE than to jealousy ONCE THEY'RE RECOGNIZED. Indeed, I suspect our MNT would be FAR BETTER OFF if we cut loose some of the overblown, outdated reputations and actively sought out people who can play.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard