Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#15181 03/12/04 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just for kicks, let's take out the SCISA-wannabe teams and rank the teams that cannot recruit and have to coach and play their way to victories.

1) Buford
2) Landrum
3) 96
4) Blackville-Hilda
5) Dixie

thoughts, suggestions, changes???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1)Buford
2)Dixie- they're way underrated and they're a good team.
3)96- decent team, not much experience, they look like they have a look of football players. But they're physical and strong on the ball.
4)Blackville-Hilda- I think they think they're better than they are, they've already lost to Barnwell and a few other marginal teams.
5)Landrum- If you took the worst 11 players that you could possibly think of (guys/girls in landrum's case) and put them on a soccer team then you would have Landrum's soccer team. No offense but they need to drop soccer as a sport and focus on football and baseball.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
I would not jump to the conclusion that just because a Private school is playing in a public school league that automatically Recruit.

It is illegal to recruit wether us a Private school or not. CC has a couple great advantages over other 1A schools: they are at the center of the best Classics leagues in the state and a would guess that a large majority of their players play in the fall and have been for quite a while.

I went to a small 1A private school and we lost more people to 4As in multiple sports. I am not saying that they recruited but it just goes as an example it happens both ways and it still might not be recruiting.

And just because you have a good team does that mean you don't have to play or Coach.
Like I have said many times I think that CC should be in 3A.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure, but I've heard that CC recruits some which would not suprise me (no offense to anyone) but there's a lot of money in that school. Unless they recruited Tomek which I don't think they did because both of his parents are doctors then I nobody else on the team is recruited because they all play for GFC. And also keep in mind that for private schools there's a difference between recruiting and financial aid.

D
throw in
throw in
D
DCA6767 - To suggest that we "recruit" is quite silly. In fact, there are several players that applied here that were not admitted that would have helped our team out significantly in the five years that I have been here. Some of them are playing at public schools this year. You should check your sources, and be careful about passing around rumors which you know nothing about.
David Wilcox
Christ Church Episcopal School
Head Boys Soccer Coach

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Back to the point of the thread, is there anyone that wants to voice an opinion on the top five public school programs???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You never said that the point of your thread was to rate the public schools in 1A. You said you wanted to rate the schools that "don't recruit and that have to coach and play their way to win." I believe the tone of your post was to imply that Christ Church recruits players. This was the inference that any reasonable person would make. Folly,we have the imply/infer conundrum once again.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Dex --

Can't you see I'm too busy having a soul searching argument between the good and evil me in the SA Fan and SoccerFan2 thread to lend appropriate attention here? Can't a guy have a nervous breakdown in peace???

lpaf

B
goal
goal
B
Who are you trying to kid!! The point of your post was a jab at Christ Church, Southside Christian , and Bishop england. We've gone over this time after time. These schools dominate in soccer because their players play year round in a highly competitive enviroment.Look at the schools you are mentioning as tops in 1A. How many of their players play year round. Very few. In SCISA you will see the same breakdown.Theoretically,all these teams draw from a wide geographical area.However, the private schools in rural area are not good, while the city school teams are. Why? Club Soccer!!

Brace
Brace
It really comes down to one simple thing. The majority of soccer players in SC (and the USA for that matter) are from white, upper-middle class (or middle class) backgrounds of which the Bishop Englands, Christ Churches, Porter-Gauds, Southside Christians, et al, cater to.

I'm hoping for the day when more lower level socio-economic kids (blacks, Hispanics, etc.) can get involved. The reason you don't see many urban (i.e. -- inner city) kids playing soccer is due to the outrageous costs associated with club, ODP, etc. Our state would be well-served to provide quality outreach to these groups to further advance the popularity of soccer. It's amazing how in every other country in the world, soccer is for the lower classes and such. It's really only in America where our infrastructure prohibits their involvement. Our lower level socio-economic urban sport happens to be basketball and the "good ole boys" opt for football/baseball.

It would be interesting to see a racial and economic profile done on the successful programs in South Carolina. I believe it's a straight case of the HAVES and HAVE-NOTS. Even in the larger public schools, those that have great programs (Wando, Irmo, Ridge View, Dorman, Chapin, Dutch Fork, Spring Valley, James Island ... I could go on) hail from affluent communities.

This is not meant to flame or incite, but I believe it to be reality! [Frown]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard