Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Two of the post-game quotes that resounded the most with me:

Pia Sundhage:"It is contagious- the great attitude, they bring out the best performance in each other."

Tony DiCicco:"The U.S. never quit. They ran themselves into the ground... and what often doesn't happen, happened - they were rewarded."

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Also loved how wonderfully complimentary Bri Scurry was of Hope Solo after the game, and how genuinely happy she was for her. Bri Scurry = a class act.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Definitely a storybook ending and a triumph of the spirit...many teams would have given up and simply imploded from frustration; this team pulled together and fought to the last possible minute, and that's what won the day. Couldn't write a better script indeed--many's the movie that's followed that same pattern; nice to see it play out in reality!

I've got good news and bad news...
B
brace
brace
B
Amazing what a difference a single goal, "at the death," makes to our thoughts about the game.
Until then, for two highly-regarded teams, it really was a bit of a stinker. Our first goal was tainted -- an "own" goal. Their first goal was more than just tainted -- it stank on several levels. And their second goal was arguably offside -- although Shannon Boxx is really far too experienced a player to stop playing BEFORE the presumed offside whistle (that never came).
As a commentary, the German fans took OUR side, booing and whistling the 5-time POY, Marta, and her teammates, for their antics, along with an officiating crew that brought back memories of Mr. Koulibaly in South Africa.
All of which went by the boards with a single, masterful service, a textbook finish, and a round of PKs.
Yes, it was a triumph of "the spirit" and the Americans' "never say die attitude." If anything like that level can be maintained in the semis, the anticipated rematch with Sweden could end up being a genuine showcase for the women's game and soccer in general.

M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Those quotes resounded with me too. I was also amazed at the level of fitness of the US women. That's the picture players need to have in their head as they are about to drop during fitness drills. These women have pushed themselves hard for so long. They ran Brazil into the ground and did it with one less player.

S
goal
goal
S
like most americans, i'm not a fan of international soccer for obvious reasons.
listen to the tommy smyth interview on espn, some knowitall limey who discounts american soccer knowledge.
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/worldcup2011/

he said we got a huge break in that game when the ref did a do over on our first pk...its funny that the brazilian goalie jumped off the line every kick after that w/o a warning...if we had missed , we're out of luck, it was so blatent, yet the biased ref just let it go. i would have warned the goalie, look, you come off the line again & your redcarded ass will be enjoying the bench & a fullback will be playing goal.
another thing he said was the ref got it right on christianes pk, it was encroachment by one of the americans, really? then why did hope get the yellow?..& oh btw, isn't the rule in soccer that if the infraction didn't interfere or advance the play, no penalty will be called.
see that all the time with handballs & offsides...
& then the limey knowitall condesending bastid said, well, theres really nothing we can do about players flopping & jumping off the stretcher to get back into the game,... wow, really dumbass? how about a 15 minute medical observation to make sure said player is ok before returning.
imho, old school international soccer needs a kick in the ass from good old american ingenuity & ideas who don't settle for the stale status quo. give me a break.

international soccer reminds me of the curent state of boxing, a joke owned by unscrupulous neanderthals happy with the status quo & money.
btw, the espn office injury commercial got it right, dead on.
the deck is stacked against our girls, just watch.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Sandman,

The referee got it right on the kicks from the mark. Per FIFA rules, an infringement by the defensive team is not called if the goal is scored. On the first kick, the keeper came off her line prior to the kick and the goal was NOT scored...per the rules, the kick was retaken. On every kick after that, the keeper did come off her line again, BUT--the goal was scored on the first attempt every time nonetheless. Therefore, there was, correctly, no call.

Now, I was just as upset about Brazil's in-my-opinion-undeserved and retaken penalty kick as anyone. If there was infringement into the penalty box prior to the kick, though...and the video seemed to show there was...then the correct response according to the rules was to retake the kick if it did not score. The "if the infraction didn't interfere or advance the play" rule you are referring to is for the offside rule. Also, on other fouls, the referee will play "advantage"--the foul is not called if the victim's team has greater advantage from the continuation of play than with a stoppage and free kick--for example, a player is tripped, but immediately regains footing for a breakaway toward goal. Calling the foul would take away the obvious advantage the player had despite being fouled. The rule on penalty kicks is pretty clear-cut...you don't step into the box before the kick is taken.

From watching the game and replays, my theory is that the infringement was called on the encroaching field player, not on Hope. It is the AR's job to monitor infringements by the goalkeeper; her flag never went up. The referee's responsibility is to monitor infringements by players OTHER than the goalkeeper, particularly encroachment into the box prior to the kick. The call seemed to come entirely from her. As for the yellow card, the FIFA rules for a penalty kick do not mention a caution for a goalkeeper who steps off her line early. I wasn't there and this is speculation, but with all of the animated and obviously emotional reaction to the decision to retake the kick, the yellow card could well have been for something Hope SAID rather than what she DID.

Now, was the overall officiating, especially the missed offside call that led to the Brazilian goal to tie, pretty questionable? In my opinion, yes--but let's give them credit for what they got right so that we remain credible when we point out what they got wrong.

As for the flopping...I am in total agreement.

S
goal
goal
S
appreciate the insight & rules coach.
but..i have no faith that the anti american ref would have called a do over on our miss, why wouldn't the ref warn the goalie about being so far offline to mitigate any possible controversy?
no one will ever know the christianne call, hope doesn't even know, its all a big state soccer secret, which is why international soccer suks ass.
with 5+ cameras & the fast play on the pitch, there should be an official in front of the monitor, suggesting to the field refs that a review might be in order..
its too bad the fans have more info than the refs from the jumbrotron....wise up, this ain't rocket science.

hey coach, i've watched the red card with marta in the box from many different angles, any insight?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Actually, it's not her job to warn the keeper; if she infringes, the penalty is that the kick, if saved, is taken over--just like what happened to us. If she keeps doing it, the kicks just keep getting taken over until one hits the back of the net. The rule actually states that no action is taken by the referee on a defensive infringement if the goal is scored. She did grant the re-kick on the one shot we missed; I guess my optimistic faith in the better side of human nature wants to believe she would have done it again if there had been need, but since our kickers were perfect from there out there's no way to test the theory.

As for the red card...bogus call, possibly caused by a bad angle that made it look like something it wasn't. As you said--if referees in soccer used instant replay to review significant calls like that, it wouldn't have happened. The argument against it is that stopping for replay would destroy the flow of the game...unlike football, which has a natural stoppage after every play that's a prime opportunity for review. The argument for, of course, is that on calls like that--where game-changing events can happen and there IS a stoppage anyway--it could eliminate a lot of bad game-changing calls.

For the card itself...the rules state that "Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick" is a red-card offense. So, as the announcers also admitted...once she had called the foul itself, she pretty much had to show the card. Sad, bad call, but on the bright side, it turned a fairly sloppy up to that point performance into a hardcore team effort, so maybe she actually did us a favor, just like the obvious flopping by the Brazilians resulted in the added time we used to get in the miracle goal!

Goal
Goal
Unbelievable match. Jacked for tomorrow vs France

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard