goal
goal
S
ok

S
goal
goal
S
i don't get why our girls just seem to crowd into the goalie box on defense like they're all goalies, meanwhile there are always several unmarked opponents outside the penalty box waiting for the ball to pop out for a great uncontested shot, of which there was many.
due to deflects, screens etc. they are not doing hope any favors by being in her way & not denying the shots in the first place. i thought they would fix that at the half, but it just got worse in the 2nd.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
You are right sandwoman. You know more than the entire National team and the National Coaches. I think you should put in for the next coach after they are through with Pia. You rock.

B
brace
brace
B
Can't see being agitated about a competitive match with France, which is a well-coached team that includes several players off the UEFA club championship side.
As to not closing out on shooters, my thought is pretty simple: Solo will save the vast majority of 30-yard straight-on shots. Bompastor's goal came off what amounted to an an excellent cross by the best left back in women's soccer. Her crossbar shot came off a set piece.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Its interesting to me all of the conversations about results versus development. Clearly at this level the focus needs to be on results. But style is a result of development and without development, any results will only be short term.

I'm thrilled with the women's results. There is something to be said for perserverance and overcoming obstacles.

But I watched most of the first half yesterday.....and came away much more impressed with the French. Loved Louissa....
whatever her last name was. I thought France countered beautifully and their midfield play totally dominated us. They were technically and tactically better than we were. Thought they did exactly the same thing against England over the weekend.

All I've heard is how our coach is changing the style of how we play. Haven't really seen that. Haven't seen the American women (or men) play anything close to how the French women played yesterday. We won. Great....and I hope we beat Japan.

But I think a lot of us love soccer because not only is it athletic competition.....but when done right, it's art as well. More than baseball, more than football, on par with basketball. When played brilliantly it transcends mere sport, IMO.

I don't want to merely win championships, I want to make a mark. Be remarkable. We will remember the drama of Abby vs Brasil, or Hope getting that one. But will we make a mark? Can't say I remember a single specific play from Spain's WC run. I do remember that I have never seen the game played so well in all my life.

That may be what sandman is kvetching about..and if so I think I get his point and agree with it. I want us to win....but I want us to play great doing so.

T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
Results are all that matter at this point, it doesn't matter how you get it done. You also can't play a certain way unless you have the players to do it. While everyone would like to play like Barcelona, no one but Barcelona can execute it.

We have been starting two CDM. I don't follow women's soccer so who knows, maybe we have a really creative player who isn't getting PT. But Lloyd turns it over every time she tries to dribble or shoots 10 feet over the goal. Boxx has made some nice passes, but they mainly come when she gets wide. But when you have two defensive minded CMs, you aren't going to play an attractive style especially when there is no balance. You would think playing 2 CDM you'd have an attacking mid in the center or a withdrawn striker, but we don't.

Cheney has been drifting into the center to help, but that leaves the LB exposed a lot. When Cheney moved to CM yesterday, the game changed. Had someone in the center of the field who could actually hold possession (Lloyd made a ton of mistakes and gave the ball to France in threatening areas).

Overall, they have played pretty well. France had much more talent so it isn't surprising they played a more attractive style. They had several players with creativity, good technical ability, etc. I haven't seen any on the USA all tournament. But we have played to our strengths. The goals we have allowed have been 2 PKs, a deflected free kick, a cross, and an amazing goal by Marta (which shouldn't have counted due to the crosser being offsides). If those are the type of goals that are needed (2 PK, 2 unintentional, 1 amazing shot) to beat you, you are doing something right.

I have to disagree with Spain playing better than anyone ever. Barcelona yes, Spain in the WC no. They were the lowest scoring World Cup winners ever. They didn't dominate like many expected, and probably would have been beat if Muller wasn't suspended. I also thought Germany played better throughout the tournament. Ozil, Muller, and Schweinsteiger were arguably the three best players in the tournament.

S
goal
goal
S
all i'm saying is that we were dominated for most of the game & the open shots they were getting was baffling.
we've all been to the yth games where one team is clearly better, dominated the field of play & loses the match, that was france. we were lucky.

that #8 on japan will shred us from outside the box if left alone.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
If Spain didn't score a lot of goals its because teams refused to play with them. The Spanish midfield is the finest I have ever seen. To their credit....Germany did try and they were thoroughly dominated.

But the women.....

I don't disagree with you that they are playing they way they need to play. But there's the indictment on development!!! We had no one the equal of Louissa in terms of technical ability and creativity.

I disagree that the French team had more talent. The US women have been the perceived big dogs for years. Clearly one of the top 3 teams in the world for years.

We won the game...but not one who watched it could say we weren't outplayed.

F
throw in
throw in
F
The US has the skilled female players to play the French or Japan way- I know a ton of them in just the Southeast. The WNT chooses to play the power game- size, strength over skill. Boxx and Lloyd are not good center mids- again there are many better skilled ladies just in the Southeast. But the power game has them in the World Cup finals and so they continue to play the game like the 1999 World Cup team, until they are forced to change

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I agree with this totally. Feel the same way on the men's side. We are choosing to play the way we play and I don't think the players we choose...can play another style.

But there are others out there in this country who can play a better style. We simply choose a different style of player. We want size and aggressiveness and raw speed....over vision, speed of play, technical skill.

Our hearts may be with Spain and Barca/Real Madrid......but our minds are all England, all the time.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard