brace
brace
B
The key word there being "probably."

B
brace
brace
B
And whatever you interpret that to mean.

J
bench
bench
J
I really hate this mindset that there are a finite number of good players and all those players should always play on the same team together. I think this idea very much hampers potential talent and is a great obstacle to development overall. To me it shows an acceptance of the idea that a team cannot be successful unless overflowing with ringers. A big part of the good things about team sports is lost while we look only for the brightest talent at the youngest age. Soccer, as well as all sports, are becoming much less accessible to mostly older players. I don't think that is the right direction. Certainly don't lose the quality and challenge of the Academy and Premier level teams, but let's not assume that those programs contain all the talent either.

If those kids want to join Academy, then let them, but don't force them into that cubbyhole by merger in the name of player development.

B
brace
brace
B
AMEN!!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
"Consolidation" and "development," while certainly not mutually exclusive, are very different concepts.

I've got good news and bad news...
O
throw in
throw in
O
JayJay: I have observed teams of "ringers" not reach their true potential because they didn't gel as a team. I have seen "big clubs" collect talented players who were developed by "smaller clubs" and not focus on player development at the older age groups. Practice consists of constant scrimmaging. Players are placed in one position and forced to play it without ever being given the opportunity to utilize and apply their skills in any other. This, certainly, is not conducive to player development or creativity. The same players take the corner kicks, free kicks, play defense, midfield, offense throughout their club careers. What if a midfielder who is told not to shoot ends up playing forward in college? What if a forward who is taught not to pass ends up playing midfield or defense and a defender who is taught to boot the ball out of bounds or to some random spot on the other end of the field winds up being a midfielder or forward?
I have seen coaches "hide" talented players with the goal of appeasing less talented players and their parents. I have also watched the other extreme where a player who has been identified as "talented" is encouraged to take on the opposing team by themselves without working with their teammates. This, of course, leads to losses and ties that should otherwise be wins.
With that being said, great players yearn to play with and against great players. So, what is the solution?

O
throw in
throw in
O
Taking the aspect of playing collegiately out of the above argument: what if the player wants to join a league or team? What if they have a desire to play throughout their adult lives? Being a versatile player would make this possible at any level!

S
kick off
kick off
S
The problem with the versatility argument i.e the need to develop players who can play anywhere on the field always runs into the practicality wall. It is no longer practical at the teenage level to endeavour to develop all-around players because of the increased need for early specialization. Yes during weekly training sessions all players can participate in non-positional drills that will provide continual development of their soccer skills. However, it is neither practical nor really beneficial for coaches to round-robin players across all positions in practice or in games with the intention of developing abilities for players in all positions. Granted that there will be players who demonstrate a high level of versatility and could be masters of more than one position. But these are the exception not the rule. Now I am not saying that mid-fielders and forwards should not work on defending. They need to because they have to defend while in their positions. Similarly defenders need to be able to pass from the back and outside backs need to be able to attack on the flanks. These positional alternate skills definitely need to be developed. But again this is different from having defenders move to play as forwards in a game for the sake of developing positional versatility. The bottom line is that there is such a need for specialization in the development process that the player needs to spend just about all the time they have in mastering their positional requirements if they are to play the game at a high level.

B
brace
brace
B
What are you talking about?

Just because you SEE guys at the highest level (let's say BPL) playing predominantly at one position doesn't mean they haven't played multiple positions throughout their "developmental" careers. Or even now. Time, score, opposition, injuries, red cards,etc., demand in-game versatility. For example ...
Man U. Since August 2011, we've seen Carrick play MF AND center half in the same game. Smalling has played center half, fullback and (even briefly) up top. Valencia has played MF and fullback on BOTH sides. Jones has played MF, fullback and center half. Even Rooney plays variations of his usual "strikers' role, depending on time, score, formation and partners. I could go on. Heck, the whole Dutch system of total football is built on player versatility.
Specialization at an early age stifles player development. Pigeonholing a 14-year-old is the height of stupidity.
That said ... I understand why others see it differently. If the priority is winning, or accumulating meaningless statistics, by all means, create a bunch of highly specialized automatons who can't make in-game adjustments.
Come to think of it, sounds a tad like the USMNT.

B
brace
brace
B
Forgive me, since August 2010 ...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard