Brace
OP Offline
Brace
cut and paste from BigSoccer.com

respecthegame
BigSoccer Member
Club: Everton FC

No High School Soccer in 2012?

I am told this letter went to Matchfit Chelsea parents (a USSDA team in New Jersey). Looks like this will mean academy kids cant play high school next year...

Dear Match Fit 1997-1993 Players/Parents,

We are writing this letter regarding the participation in high school soccer and United States Soccer Federation Development Academy (USSF DA) teams. As some of you are aware there has been discussions regarding the USSF DA season going from a five month to ten month season. Furthermore there have been questions regarding how this will affect a player’s ability to participate in high school soccer.

Following a conference call with all USSF DA clubs and US Soccer representatives the following has been put in place by the federation:

- The USSF DA U16 and U18 season will begin in September and end at the beginning of July, following the play offs.

- No player will be permitted to play in both high school and USSF DA play at the same time.

- Players receiving aid towards their schooling will be able to be added on a waiver at the end of the high school season (Nov 1st). There will be a limit to the amount of players being able to be added at the end of the high school season and will be at the discretion of the club. No player without a waiver can be added to a roster following Sep 1st.

A supporting letter from Claudio Reyna and the USSF DA is attached with this letter. As a USSF DA club we support the initiatives of the federation in attempting to create an environment where the top percentile of players in the area are treated as professionals and thus given a greater chance to break into US Soccer’s youth teams. The current climate is that the players play too many games.

We do recognize however that high school sports are an important part of the players social growth and therefore we are cognizant of the fact this is a cultural change for all involved. As a club we are here to help in any situation we can but the rules are stringent and will not be broken in any way by us. The fact remains that those players participating in the USSF DA program are recognized as the top percentile of players and at any time can be identified by US Soccer to graduate into their teams. In addition the USSF DA program is still the primary outlet for collegiate coaches to recruit and scout players and thus the value of being involved is twofold. We put value in our current group of players at the 1997-1993 age group and hope that all look to continue in the club moving forward.

Talon Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace

World Cup
World Cup
U.S. Soccer Federation
1801 S. Prairie Ave. Chicago, IL 60616
312-808-1300 (Phone) 312-808-1301 (Fax)
www.ussoccer.com

Date: August 31, 2011
From: Claudio Reyna, U.S. Soccer Federation, Youth Technical Director
Re: Ten Month Programming for Development Academy Clubs

On behalf of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Program, please let this letter serve to acknowledge that the clubs in the Development Academy Program have decided as a cohesive unit to proceed with a ten-month schedule. The schedule will take effect in September 2012 and run through June 2013. This programming will exclude any other outside soccer activities, including but not limited to high school soccer. These clubs join 28 current programs as well as 48 others making the same effort across the United States.

Collectively, these clubs have taken action to further focus on player development for the United States National Team and other professional opportunities by focusing solely on providing the best environment through meaningful competition and consistent, focused training as a team. By implementing this format, clubs will be able to:

* Spend an increased amount of time with their players & focus on development both individually and within a team format
* Implement a singular coaching style following the U.S. Soccer Curriculum and Best Practices
* Travel for elite domestic and international tournaments throughout the entire year
* Follow a consistent cadence in the Academy schedule and focus on single fixture dates

Everyone recognizes the impact of this change. We ask that you show the same support for this decision by allowing each individual player and Academy club to enforce their programming standards without penalizing or holding opinion of such decisions.

Please feel free to contact Development Academy Program Manager, Melissa Biniewicz, with any questions. She may be reached in the office at (312) 528-1228 or via email at [Email]mbiniewicz@ussoccer.org.[/Email]

Regards,

Claudio Reyna
Youth Technical Director

CC: Dan Flynn, Chief Executive Officer Brian Remedi, Chief Administrative Officer Melissa Biniewicz, Development Academy Program Manager Greg Fike, Staff Attorney

World Cup
World Cup
This hot topic and many others affecting high school soccer will be the focus of our Friday, 5:00 pm "Hot Topics in High School Soccer" session at the SCHSSCA Winter Clinic in Columbia, SC. Make plans to attend today!

World Cup
World Cup

L
Goal
Goal
L
will this be the case for SCUFC-DA program?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Wait...without "holding opinion of such decisions"?

I think we all reserve the right to our opinions, Claudio. Remarks like that have a direct influence on mine.

I realize this means "don't try to talk them out of it or make them feel bad," but it sounds more like "we're right and you're not supposed to disagree."

Last edited by Coach Chass; 01/15/12 10:22 PM.
G
Throw In
Throw In
G
I really do understand the thinking, I just do not agree. Did the fact that Enzo played 4 year of high school really hurt his skill level? Did it cause him to slide backwards in his skill level? I think not. Did it raise the level of high school soccer in SC? Did it make those on his team and other teams see a new level to attain? I think so.

T
TSO Offline
kick off
kick off
T
Quote:

I really do understand the thinking, I just do not agree. Did the fact that Enzo played 4 year of high school really hurt his skill level? Did it cause him to slide backwards in his skill level? I think not. Did it raise the level of high school soccer in SC? Did it make those on his team and other teams see a new level to attain? I think so.

I don't agree with it either but this isn't the best example to use. Enzo was still being coached by an elite coach in Coach Wren. Most high school players aren't so there is a significant drop in the level of coaching.

I heard SC is going to apply for a waiver for this rule, not sure if that is true or not though.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I don't see how they could grant waivers and still maintain the uniformity of the system that seems to be one of their biggest selling points.

Besides, granting a waiver would seem to imply that this move isn't of absolute critical importance, despite the argument that this move is of absolute critical importance and shouldn't be questioned. It would definitely open the door for a lot more questioning.

I've got good news and bad news...
Brace
Brace
All I can say is I'm glad my youngest is a senior in HS this year!

G
Throw In
Throw In
G
Yes Enzo is unique and perhaps having Dom Wren is different that most coaches, but if we are talking about kids that are already in the "elite" status(thus having access to top notch club coaches) - then how much difference does it make? I think the positives of the high school experience outweigh the negatives in the long run for these players.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
The entire system is flawed, but I believe this may be a step in the right direction.

Around the world individuals of Enzo's ability are playing with and against adults from the age of 15 and up.

High school is not even a consideration.

World Cup
World Cup

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard