Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#153257 12/16/11 12:52 PM
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
The final four starts tomorrow and not a word on this board...does anyone care?

L
Goal
Goal
L
if the games were played 3 or 4 weeks ago maybe. the weekend before Christmas no.

what would scysa do if the games were rained out?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Maybe they should move the start date up..My daughter finished club ball last year so I watch the board but do not have anything to contribute to most threads..While my son played the messageboard was wound up all the time so I guess the high testosterone parents have moved on...
I would go to state and watch if someone from the lowcountry would hosts it..My kids started in 1999 and only one club in this area that I can remember hosted several times...SSC..State cup at the challenge level is 16 teams..Some clubs in the lowcountry need to step up to the plate..Even Coumbia has grown silent..Why should Greenville and Rock Hill do all the work?

Kickoff
Kickoff
Quote:

The final four starts tomorrow and not a word on this board...does anyone care?

In a nutshell...NO!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Also take into consideration that teams have to play their way into challenge cup..Less teams there..Less people to get excited about it..

C
Goal
Goal
C
I'll take a shot at this.

Champions= CESA 96B, SCUmp96G, CESA 95B, CESA 95G, CESA 94B, CESA 94G, CESA 93B and SCUmp 93G.

Finalist= SCUmp 96B, SCUfc 96G, SCUmp 95B, SCUfc 95G, SCUfc 94B, SCUfc 94G. SCUmp 93B and CESA 93G.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Have to disagree on the 95G. LCSC 95G White is a very good team and won the Challenge League. They will take the SCUFC 95 Elite in the semis. If Coach Riches can get the girls playing at the top of their game, they will take on the CESA girls in the finals.

D
throw in
throw in
D
The 93 Boys semis should be very competitive. Palmetto United vs SCUMP will be close. Depends on how tenacious the MP boys play. Palmetto United has some very good Academy players and a very good player from Brazil. Palmetto United will take the match and CESA will take the finals. CESA team is if not the best, one of the best teams in the country and has a great coach. Too bad SCUFC could not field a team again this year to compete in the final 4.

H
Throw In
Throw In
H
U-15 BOYS.....Coast 96 Red 3 Cesa 96 Premier 2

C
Goal
Goal
C
Quote:

U-15 BOYS.....Coast 96 Red 3 Cesa 96 Premier 2

Big win for CFA. Just like #1 Discoveries 95B losing to #4SCU/MP 95B Elite 3:2.

C
Goal
Goal
C
Quote:

Have to disagree on the 95G. LCSC 95G White is a very good team and won the Challenge League. They will take the SCUFC 95 Elite in the semis. If Coach Riches can get the girls playing at the top of their game, they will take on the CESA girls in the finals.

SCUFC 95G 2 LCSC 95G 1

C
Goal
Goal
C
Good day for scu.mp

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
U18 boys from yesterday

Cesa over CFC 2-1
MP over PUFC 3-2 in OT

C
Goal
Goal
C
SCU/MP wins both 96 boys and girls today. Well done!

S
bench
bench
S
The players on DSC '95 Green Premier struggled with unprecidented adversity this season, from the passing of one of their teammates, to losing a player to academy, to an injured starter requiring knee surgery and missing most of the season, to their leading scorer suffering a serious broken ankle at National League last week requiring surgery this past Friday. All of the above had them limping into State Cup, decimated. That said though, a hearty congratulations to SCUMP 95 Boys for a great win. DSC 95 Green will regroup, reload and will be back !

throw in
throw in
Bob Brantley Publix Challenge Cup Fall 2011

U15BOYS SCU/MP 96 Elite Coast 96 Red 4:1
U15GIRLS SCU/MP 96 Girls Elite SCUFC 96 G Elite 2:1
U16BOYS CESA 95 Premier SCU/MP 95 Boys Elite 1:0
U16GIRLS CESA 95 Premier SCUFC 95 Girls Elite 2:0

U17s in progress
U18s to follow

throw in
throw in
U17BOYS SCUFC 94 Elite CESA 94 Premier 5:3
U17GIRLS CESA 94 Girls Premier SCUFC 94 Girls Elite 2:1

throw in
throw in
U18s were both won by Cesa but not sure of the scores yet.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Boys 3-0
Girls 3-1

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Final Tally - Championships

CESA - 5
SCU/MP - 2
SCUFC - 1

G
kick off
kick off
G
Maybe you could look at it from the perspective of 12 automatic premier spots age groups 96-94

SCU - 4
CESA - 4
Scump - 3
Coast - 1

Will SC get a 3rd in the 96? Cesa out on the girls boys 96 side?

Last edited by Gun Smoke; 12/19/11 04:09 PM.
M
kick off
kick off
M
Doesn't matter on the girls side. CESA top girl teams will play ECNL only next year.

G
kick off
kick off
G
MP - Not sure 4th best SC State Cup is the selling point for ECNL that CESA is lookig for.

Let's hope they regroup before next season.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
No, I would think that 4th in State Cup wouldn't be a good selling point. I think the selling point for ECNL vs. R3PLE would be to compare the two leagues.

In U-15, teams played 9 games in R3PLE. In ECNL, there are 27 games scheduled. In R3PLE, CESA played CASL and Charlotte Soccer Academy's 2nd team one time each. In ECNL, the will play CASL and CSA's top team twice each. In U-15, CESA had 5 results out of 9 games. In ECNL, CESA has 4 results so far in 15 games.

In the U-17 age group, CESA was undefeated in 9 games winning R3PLE. In ECNL, they are 10 wins, 6 losses and 2 draws so far. U-16 had 6 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws in 9 R3PLE games. In ECNL, they have 7 wins, 7 losses and 4 draws.

To make a long story short, I think the selling point would be more games against better competition. I'm sure there are negatives too and someone will surely make that case. But the biggest positive seems to be more soccer against better teams.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
DJ Harry spinning ....

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
DJ Harry is pretty funny. But is anything that I said untrue?

D
Goal
Goal
D
No, just spinning.

1) Comparison of national vs. sub-regional schedules (better comparison for level of competition would be ECNL vs. USYSA National or maybe R3PL, not R3PLE, and sounds like the u-17's can have a shot at testing those waters... sincere congratulations to them). 2) Forgets to mention the 3-5 games each per tournaments like CASL, Disney, PDA, etc. the teams could be attending if not attending the ECNL non-conference ECNL events. 3) "more soccer against better teams"... seems some teams shouldn't have to travel far to find all the competition they can handle or need for development.

My opinion, the selling point for ECNL (and it's not without merit from an overall club perspective) is that a club can offer a consistent level of competition to all its age groups regardless of the strength or weakness of an individual team. It follows, however, next year's u-16 ECNL schedule will include the #4 team from this year's SC State Cup. Teams #1 and #2 will be in R3PLE.

I watched some of the CESA '96 girls at camps last summer and know they worked hard preparing for the season. I wish them well wherever they play.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Sure, the 4th place team in SC State Cup will play in ECNL and the top two will play in R3PLE. My point was, who will the SC ECNL team play against? CASL and CSA's best team will play in ECNL and their 2nd team will play in R3PLE. GSA and Concorde (the best teams in GA) will play in ECNL. Other GA teams will play in R3PLE.

D
Goal
Goal
D
That's where the spin began, comparing R3PLE to ECNL as if it is relative to where CESA'96 will play next year. For CESA'96 next year it's ECNL or State Challenge League, they wouldn't qualify for R3PLE as #4 from SC.

Even if it was relative, the R3PLE vs. ECNL spin continued with how you were using CESA results to compare the two leagues. You left out the u-18 results where CESA'93 was 2w/3d/4l in R3PLE (weakest CESA result) and 9w/1d/5l in ECNL (strongest CESA result). Stronger league based on results? Further, in u-16 next year yes CESA '96 will play what you are calling the "A" teams from CASL and CSA next year, but you left out the results from this Fall where they played both "A" and "B" teams from those clubs. According to posted results CESA'96 tied both teams from CASL. No apparent difference in strength based on results there. Against CSA they lost 2-0 to the "A" team in ECNL, but they lost 4-0 to the "B" team in R3PLE. It seems the R3PLE competition from CASL/CSA was a touch stronger with the "B" teams in R3PLE than with the "A" teams in ECNL, if you are using results to compare leagues.

Maybe CSA needs to re-evaluate which team is "A" and which is "B", but they'll eventually become known as the USYSA team and the ECNL team leaving speculation to determine which is the stronger. I guess ECNL as "more games against higher level" is a matter of individual club perspective and spin for its members. The same weekend next year CSA and CASL u-16 "A" teams are playing the #4 team from SC in ECNL the CSA and CASL "B" teams could be playing the #1 and #2 teams from SC in R3PLE. Would be interesting to hear CSA/CASL's ECNL vs. R3PLE spin to members that weekend.

You had no disagreement from me that CESA'96 competing in ECNL next year is their best opportunity to continue playing more games against higher level competition, although they don't seem to be lacking competition in-state. I still think you will find similar levels of competition capable of providing all the competition any SC team including CESA's can handle through either organization, but to get to the higher levels of USYSA the individual team needs to prove itself first. As for this year's u-15 GSA and Concorde you are correct that they will play u-16 ECNL next year, but you may be a little off on where the other teams from GA will be playing. This Fall u-15 teams from NASA and Norcross were already playing up in R3PL rather than R3PLE. GA, NC and FL also already had teams invited up and playing R3PL this year rather than R3PLE in the other age groups as well.

If CESA is moving its ECNL rosters out of USYSA league play I think it's great. It creates an opportunity for another SC team in each age group to pick up higher level play in R3PLE (or higher), improving the general pool of experience in SC. And who knows, in a couple of years CESA may have teams back in the thick of R3PLE and the hunt for state and regional championships.

BTW, congratulations to both the SCUMP u-15 as well as the CESA u-17 teams for winning R3PLE as well as the state championships. With 2 State/R3PLE champions headed to Regionals next summer, maybe we'll finally see an SC girls' team break the long drought on getting past the quarters.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
I actually didn't look at the U-18s because they won't be playing in either league next year.

But, to get back to the point of spinning, you did a pretty good job yourself there. You looked at the scores of 4 games as your only evidence to support one team being better than another. CESA lost to CSA 0-2 and 0-4. You deduce that the 0-4 team must be the better team? Did you watch either game? I didn't, but I've noticed over the years that sometimes scores are deceptive. Have you watched enough soccer over the years to notice that sometimes the better team loses or that sometimes there is much more to the game than the score? CESA tied both CASL teams, so they must be equal right? Come on Bernard, that's disappointing from someone who puts so much time into overanalyzing everything soccer related.

I'm assuming that you called CESA the "#4 team from SC" because they lost the consolation state cup game. Did you see that game? I'll give credit to SCUFC Palmetto for winning the game, but I'm not sure I would call them the 3rd best team in SC. Maybe it's CFC, who beat SCUFC Palmetto 4-2. Maybe it's Furman, who tied SCUFC Palmetto 3-3. Or maybe it's CESA who beat Furman 4-0. Or maybe there's more here than the scores. For someone who is as detail oriented as yourself, I would have thought you would have called CESA the team that placed 4th in a tournament. But instead, you did a pretty good job of stating things in a way that promotes what appears to be a long-standing agenda of yours. In other words, well spun sir. While we're on it, may I commend you for keeping up the good fight long after your last child left the club that has apparently helped prepare both of your daughters for the fine college careers they seem to be enjoying. I knew that you would.

corner kick
corner kick
Ok. I have to chime in. My daugter plays on the CESA 96 team. First let me say I am melowing out in my old age. But I thought this whole club thing was about getting your kid better. Anybody that knows me will testify that I HATE TO LOSE. But after this past weekend I sat down and asked myself is my daughter better now than at the beginning of the season and the asnwer is YES. Is the CESA 96 girls better and the asnwer is YES. Even with 4 starters not returning. Our record this season shows that. Did we choke this past weekend, YES. But I don't think anybody from our team will argure that we are not better this year compared to last. Sure there is a couple of teams in SC that is good competition for us. But who wants to play the same 2 teams,see the same players, lineups, and so forth all season long. Face it we are in Greenville, SC not Dallas, TX. We have to go outside the state. I even heard the SC United 96 coach mention they had to arrange games with ECNL teams out of state to get better competition. (BUSA) I have had daughters play for CESA and SC United. I think they both have the same goal in mind. Will my daughter be able to play at the next level and compete and play? That is when you will really find out if it was worth it and I think both clubs have proved well in doing just that. Both clubs I think have this same goal. So this I'm #1 and your #2 is really for the parents. And I'm not stupid, I know the girls hate to lose. But that is good. They want to get better. I personally like the CESA-SC United rivalery.

That there is an RV Clark......
corner kick
corner kick
Oh. one more thing. I think I know both Delta Dog and Harry. I think you both need to dress out. Get on the pitch and go 1 v 1. I got a field lined up. Me and MAV Soccer Dad can charge at least $10.00 person to see this and sale beer for $5.00 a cup. I figure this would draw people from all over the state, and maybe some from all the way from Miami, FL. MAV and I will donate the funds to a local charity, well maybe.

Last edited by Hobo; 12/21/11 10:45 PM.
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Not a bad idea, but I'm too old and too out of shape. And if MAV is who I think you're referring to, I think he's pretty happy in Miami right where he is.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

... but I've noticed over the years that sometimes scores are deceptive.

Well, why then did you begin using CESA results (based on scores?) to spin comparison of leagues? As I said while filling in the holes in your scores-based results for league comparisons... "if you are using results to compare leagues."

Quote:

I'm assuming that you called CESA the "#4 team from SC" because they lost the consolation state cup game.

Yes, I called CESA the #4 team from SC, because that's what they placed in State Cup and would be considered if applying for a spot in R3PLE. Kind of like your "GSA and Concorde (the best teams in GA)" assumption. They finished #1 and #2 in last year's GA State Cup. Did you see those games?

Quote:

Or maybe there's more here than the scores.

Always. In every age group, in every league. So again, why did you go there?

Quote:

...what appears to be a long-standing agenda of yours.

Some day you're going to have to enlighten me on the "agenda" to which you keep referring. The only long-standing agenda I may have that I can think of is to support improving opportunities for girls throughout SC to learn and enjoy participation in this game at every level whether at CESA or elsewhere. Probably goes back to the principles and coaching philosophies I learned during the years coaching girls youth teams at MeSA. I'm guessing you have some other agenda in mind.

Quote:

In other words, well spun sir. While we're on it, may I commend you for keeping up the good fight long after your last child left the club that has apparently helped prepare both of your daughters for the fine college careers they seem to be enjoying. I knew that you would.

"Long after" really doesn't seem appropriate as my last daughter is actually just u-19 in club years. That said, you continue to imply that I don't recognize the clubs' roles in my daughters' development for playing this game. Of course I do and can't recall saying otherwise, just as I've never failed to recognize their training and development included the influence of coaches and team memberships not associated with the local club. The fact that both called MeSA home from u-6 through u-18 should offer some indication there, as they could have played elsewhere.

However, if you are inferring that what my daughters bring to the field to afford them their successes is solely a result of playing for CESA, then, Andrew, you would be sadly mistaken. My daughters are much more than that.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Not a bad idea, but I'm too old and too out of shape.

Thanks, Harry. I'm probably a generation ahead of you and wouldn't be able to afford paying the ambulance I'd need.

C
bench
bench
C
round one goes to the dog

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Using scores in two games to say that a club like CSA should rethink their selection process (what you did) is a bit different than using records over 9 and 15 games to make an observation of the overall level of a league (what I did) I would have expected the latter from you.

I didn't see the GA state cup, but I have seen the GA teams play on more than one instance. So my opinion on their level was based on more than their scores against one CESA team or how they did in one weekend event.

I went to the "more here than scores" because going back to your comments about which CASL teams or which CSA team was better and calling CESA the 4th team seemed to be based on the scores of a small handful of games that you didn't witness. Thus, it seemed that you were relying only on scores when watching the games may have helped you form a different opinion.

It's hard to put into words what I think your agenda is. But it seems odd to me that 6 months after your youngest was done with club soccer (unless she plays one event at U-19) you continue to post in a club soccer thread and you continue the pattern of sounding like a guy in a Man Utd jersey pulling for Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City or anybody other than Man U.

Sorry, I guess I consider 6 months a long time. I don't think that you don't recognize the club's role, you just always sound to me like you don't appreciate it. I know there have been other organizations involved in the development of your players. You and I have PMed about how much you credit ODP. I certainly don't think that CESA is solely responsible for the soccer players your kids have turned out to be. I don't remember saying anything like that. I believe that I said "helped prepare" as you quoted above.

And finally, while I've been called Andrew (and even Pearse) before. I still have to say that I doubt either Andrew (and certainly not Pearse) would spend this amount of time on the forum in differences of opinions such as these. Furthermore, after seeing both Andrews this weekend, I doubt either of them would turn down an invitation to play 1 vs 1 or 11 vs 11 or any chance to play anything at all. Not to mention that if it were possible to make a fund raiser out of it, I don't think that opportunity would be turned down either.

I'm going to end here by stating that I'm going to try to stay away from club soccer for a little while and do all other things Christmas. I will, however, be extremely tempted to check back and see if you can do the same. Either way, I actually do enjoy these 'debates' or whatever we want to call them (with ot without someone keeping score) and I wish you a wonderful Christmas season as well.

C
bench
bench
C
where are the Coast FA 96 kids from? what schools?

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Glad to see you boys stirring it up a bit. This board has been dead since gbdawgs and I retired. And Harry, really, Mavs in Florida, pleeeeease!!!!

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
Harry,
For someone that doesn't work for Cesa, you sure have loads of time to watch many of their games all across the age groups. I wouldn't really put that much praise toward the GA teams either in the division play. Although GSA is in a league of its own and probably top 3 in the country, Concorde and Afu are average at best, BUSA, CSA, and CASL are pretty good teams but not any better than top 5 teams in R3, and VA rush probably wouldn't even be in the top 4 of SC state cup. But since apparently you have seen all those teams play and not just their scores, we can just agree to disagree about it...

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

My congrats and respect goes out to the kids who love this game and compete at the highest level they can. Also to the parents who sacrifice time and money to support the passions of their kids.

My two soccer playing kids have now aged out of club soccer and my wife and I look back over the experience with nothing but delight, happiness and gratitide for the relationships formed over the years, as well as for the folks who invested in our kids via time and caring.

Those of you who know me and read the forum....whether in the YC or GSP, COLA or the Low country. You all know who you are. Thanks for being a part of us.

Keep it real and let the kids play.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Harry,
For someone that doesn't work for Cesa, you sure have loads of time to watch many of their games all across the age groups. I wouldn't really put that much praise toward the GA teams either in the division play. Although GSA is in a league of its own and probably top 3 in the country, Concorde and Afu are average at best, BUSA, CSA, and CASL are pretty good teams but not any better than top 5 teams in R3, and VA rush probably wouldn't even be in the top 4 of SC state cup. But since apparently you have seen all those teams play and not just their scores, we can just agree to disagree about it...

VA rush and anyone else could make the final 4 in SC state cup. It is pretty week just like league play in SC. On the girls side anyways. Sc state cup just doesnt have a state cup weekend feel to it. I guess it is because most of the time and in most of the age groups you already know who will be playing in the finals.

H
Throw In
Throw In
H
The Coast 96 Red boys team is comprised of kids from all over the Myrtle Beach area. The boys attend St James,Socastee, Waccamaw,Myrtle Beach, Loris,North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach Christian School. The 96 boys age group has been super competitive over the last three years with strong teams from Coast, Cesa, SCUFC and SCUMP. Should be alot of fun watching these boys in the future.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard