Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Talon Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
South Conference:

Eli Dent and Nestor Jaramillo continued their torrid scoring pace with a goal a piece in a 2-1 win for South Carolina United Battery over North Meck U18 on Saturday. The U16 sides settled for a 1-1 draw.

On Sunday, Battery and Charlotte Soccer Academy U18 battled to a 2-2 draw. Charlotte's Alex Givens registered both goals for the home side. The younger Battery team won 3-2 in the later contest to improve to 14-3-3 on the year.

S.C. United Battery continue solid play

Talon Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
"It's a challenge," said U16 South Carolina coach Robert Strickland. "We'll try to get some friendly competition in during that time frame at the end of February. Once you do get them back (from the break) you almost have to regroup with a minicamp. You have to get them back in good habits and adjust them to the speed and training."

Academy contenders try to avoid slump

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
All the academy players are going to pick up poor habits in the next few months playing for Irmo, Wando, Cardinal Newman, and Northwestern? Drinking, Smoking,and boot it

H
goal
goal
H
It seems to me that the issue is less for whom they play than against whom they play. During the Academy season they are practicing with and playing against kids who are as good or better than are they. Not so during high school.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Was a very generalized statement. I will not get into details about other programs but can assure you the academy players that play for Wando are not getting worse. They will pick up some different habits due to different style of play, no doubt. No coach thinks like another. I never say much on these sites but I am just tired of hearing comments such as these directed at high school coaches. Some coaches not as good as others, sure. Are some as good if not better than the academy staff???

W
goal
goal
W
Anytime you take time off from something you have to get back into the swing of things. I think this was meant instead of an attack on HS programs in general.

I think the problem is that the academy teams that dont have the spring break are staying "in form" by training regularly and by playing academy games heading into the playoffs.

T
bench
bench
T
Drinking and smoking?! I only have one Academy kid to screw up at JI. Wait...are you saying there's drinking and smoking at other schools?! No Academy kid would drink or smoke, surely.

I wonder if, say, Clint Dempsey get's rusty when he plays for the US national team. He's getting worse coaching and his teammates aren't as good. Sure he's representing where he lives but I doubt that's very rewarding.

And for all you concrete thinkers out there, I am in no way comparing myself to Klinsman (although I do have a lovely smile) or (God knows) James Island to the USMNT. It's an ironic allegory.

B
brace
brace
B
Actually, there are many kids for whom the correct recipe is a little bit of both.

Yes, in theory, Academy training offers a more competitive environment than all but a few high school programs. But that does not necessarily translate into a higher quality training experience. There are many factors to consider, including, but not limited to, the trainer's (and players') focus AND motivation on any given day.

I would also hasten to point out that many kids actually benefit from the playing time (and confidence it engenders) they get during high school season. I have observed several high school/Academy crossover kids whose games have developed more in the high school environment than in Academy.

There SHOULD be room for the dual experience, which is why upcoming rules changes forcing kids who are loyal to BOTH to choose one or the other, are counterproductive. Academy, club and high school coaches should work together ... not randomly criticize the others' efforts.

T
bench
bench
T
I appreciate what Will and B17 said to tone it down. Afterall, Will coaches both Academy and High School. But I share Shilo's frustration. It's positive for players to have different experiences and different coaches. I think most of us work hard to improve ourselves as coaches, usually at our own expense, to not let the players down and improve them. And the comments get old. We were coaching most of these kids at high school before they tried out for academy, some more than others.

Regardless, the criticism is usually one way - toward high schools.

Last edited by T Robinson; 02/01/12 04:57 PM.
R
kick off
kick off
R
Let me try and clarify the comments attributed to me in the Topdrawer article being discussed. In doing so i hope we can avoid a lengthy thread of back on forth between HS and Club.

Firstly, the actual question posed was " is it a challenge to come off the HS break and compete in the playoffs against teams that have been playing continuosly since January?" my answer "yes it is a challenge. since we have players spread over many Hs programs it is tough for us to keep continuoity of training during the break.. but we do have some exciting scrimmages with MLS teams at the end of feb where we will be back together" After HS season we normally use some weekend mini camps to get everyone back together and get back used to playing with each other prior to playoffs"

If anyone wants to take that as an attack on HS programs or HS coaches it is their pregoative but it was certainly not my intention nor my opinion.

The Academy Staff works closely with USYSA club staff members and HS coaches to try and provide a place for the most talented and committed players in SC to play their club ball. Many of us (myself included) coach at all levels of the game and understand that there are great coaches in all thses levels and don't see ourselves of some type of 'uber' coach. So again, if you took my commnets as suggesting such i apologize as it was not my attention nor my opinion.

If we accept that the DA is the highest level of youth soccer in America ( as US Soccer Fed says it is) we should be happy our state is able to be represented in it. States like LA,KY,TN,MS,AK etc don't have this avenue for their players. It's presence in SC has helped the players of SC get the recognition on a National level that we have been crying out for. providing opportunities to players is why most of us coach and the Academy provides the opportunity to be seen consistently by those that pick national teams. that is good for SC!

SCU battery is a supporter of HS soccer.
If anyone would like to discuss how i feel about HS soccer from a personal standpoint please feel free to contact me.

On a final note- Congratulations to Michele Bottari 1997 of SCU Battery and St Josephs, who got a call up to the u15 national team camp, 3/3-/3/11 at the Home Depot center, just last night. Michele is one of several freshmen who are seeing considerable playing time in the u16 Academy team competing routinely against juniors born in 1995. Michele leads all freshmen in the Academy with 7 goals on the season along with Rex Epps (freshmen Dutch fork) who also plays for SCU Battery, 7 goals.

Last edited by robstrickland; 02/01/12 05:49 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard